Raaan's 1.3 Gallon Planted "Column" Tank Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
Raaan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Raaan's 1.3 Gallon Planted "Column" Tank Journal

I've had this tank for about eight months now, but it badly needed a once-all-over and I figured I should start up a journal for it while I'm at it. The tank is listed on Aquarium Master's website as a "2 gallon beta tank," but the actual capacity is closer to 1.25 gallons or so.

Setup
Tank: "2 Gallon" Aquarium Masters (4.5" x 8" x 8.5")
Up top: Glass canopy and a 1 x 13W PC hood from Catalina Aquarium
Filter: Motor and intake from a Marina S10 with a Fluval prefilter sponge
Hardscape: Fluval Stratum for substrate; single piece of malaysian driftwood
Unheated

Flora: Cardinal Plant; Java Fern; Baby Tears; Dwarf Water Lettuce; Christmas Moss
Fauna: 2 X Cherry Shrimp ("Ebira" and "Joe"); Zebra Nerite ("Standard Earl"); Micro Crab ("Eugene")

pH 7.6
GH 5
KH 5
Dosing: Two drops of Seachem's Flourish Sunday and Wednesday; Three drops of Seachem's Flourish Excel daily

The Tragic Backstory
Like I said, I got the tank a while ago, and it's been set up the whole time and did very well, but the last two weeks of [slight] neglect took a rather sinister toll on the poor thing.

Then a lot of procrastinating happened, but I finally (finally...) ended up tearing the whole thing down and starting over (found out that I apparently lost a shrimp, but we aren't going to talk about that).

First was the hardscape. Of course, working with a 8" X 4.5" footprint simplifies things a bit.

Then the exciting part! Tying, planting, cutting, tying, positioning, more planting, etc.
So enjoy a montage. A two picture montage.

And that's more or less where I'm at with this thing now. High-res pictures coming soon, so stay tuned.

I took it and I Raaan with it
Raaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Padraig Pearse
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks cool. Like a volcano spewing out anubias instead of magma.
Padraig Pearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Nice little tank! Looks like a nice little betta home... I'm guessing you won't have one in there, since you have the shrimp, though.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

It looks very good. I think the McDonald's cup makes the scape though.

Also the Lolnope driftwood looks vaguely like the statue of liberty falling over to me.

I'm wanting to plant a 3 gallon bowl but don't have one yet, maybe I will plant the extra 1.50 gallon tank we have sitting here doing nothing for the time being. If I can figure out how to get the lights to work out. LED crap lights don't make a very productive plant tank.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
Susie

I like it. And I agree with Betta132 that it would make a nice Betta home. Gee, guess you'll have to find a new home for the shrimp.
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Too small for a betta, keep the shrimp! A green volcano with red shrimp? Sounds sweet to me!
Kehy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Raaan
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments, all. I'll admit I was a bit self-conscious when I got home and saw this thread had five replies already ("What if they don't like meeee?"). Glad to see it's a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
It looks very good. I think the McDonald's cup makes the scape though.

Also the Lolnope driftwood looks vaguely like the statue of liberty falling over to me.

I'm wanting to plant a 3 gallon bowl but don't have one yet, maybe Il plant the extra 1.50 gallon tank we have sitting here doing nothing for the time being. If I can figure out how to get the lights to work out. LED crap lights don't make a very productive plant tank.
Hahh. I kinda didn't realize that was in the picture at the time. I've come to find that in the nano aquarium hobby, there is nothing that can't be done with fast food cups, airline tubing, and soda bottles. I might make a DIY thread showcasing all of the awkward gadgets I've made.

That was my friend's favorite one when I showed this to her, but I think that's simply because it made the least sense. I like your interpretation. Didn't see that coming.

For a long time on this tank I just had a desk lamp with a cheap spiral CFL from Walmart for lighting. It works much better for plants than low-power LEDs (I won't say the same for the aesthetics, however).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
Too small for a betta, keep the shrimp! A green volcano with red shrimp? Sounds sweet to me!
Unfortunately, I agree. I'd like to get a betta sometime, but not until I have a spare tank at least twice this big to keep him in.

I want to eventually replace the cherry shrimp with some orange neos (they'd kind of look like adorable little lava monsters). I just need to find a convenient excuse to drive an hour and a half to the bay so I can get some.

I'm having an inner debate about what i want to do with that java fern. I'm not sure if i actually like it or if I just like it more than seeing a hulking filter sponge in the back. I did have some more pictures, but I just got back from seeing Man of Steel and I'm quite ready for bed (sorry). I'll definitely get them up tomorrow. 'Til then.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Raaan
Algae Grower

Pics, as promised.

A larger picture of the tank in general, plus a big Bertha the big thermometer.

Standard Earl, the nerite snail.

Joe. The plainest name for the plainest shrimp I've ever had.

Ebira and Earl. Ebira seems to have some black cherry genes in her or something. She was really blue when I got her, then turned white, and now she's mostly red. Kind of an enigma.

No pictures of the micro crab, since I literally never see him. He's the guy in my avatar, though, so there's that.

I swear Fluval stratum is made of about 20% mud and 110% sass. It's just obstinate and bullheaded and very pretty to look at. I don't know if I'll ever get that plant anchored down for good.

Last edited by Raaan; 06-17-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Fixing a broken picture

Tags
invert tank, journal, one gallon, planted nano, shrimp tank