Newbie Fluval Spec V Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
zemikeclark
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Newbie Fluval Spec V Build

As I have said, I am a complete newbie about planted tanks. I did a fair amount of research and I was going to do a larger ~75 gallon planted tank until a nearby FS had the Spec for 20% off and I had a gift card.

The tank from start to finish probably only costed $120. Disregard the ugly pictures. I have a hard time taking pictures of anything.

And so it begins... A very ugly beginning. The driftwood reminded me of the cliff/ rocky overhang from the Lion King. Java Moss and Ferns are tied to the driftwood. There are some Crypt Spirialis and Wendtii.

The first inhabitant of the tank. Benedict the Double Tail Betta. Very nice red and a metallic blue with blue eyes. He was introduced about 2-3 weeks after the plants were added.

Probably the best picture I have of Benedict. Somehow I was magically able to focus once. This was right after introduction. His color got vibrant fast.

My leaves were turning black on my Java Ferns. Also roots were growing out of the leaves. Obviously I freaked out because I didn't understand the reproductive methods of the Ferns. Some people say poor water conditions lead to more reproduction so I started watching conditions closer.

The Crypts never rotted like I thought. This was about 1 month in.

Maybe about a month and a half in. The Lace Java Fern doesn't tickle my fancy. Always has brown leaves.

Believe it or not there are ghost shrimp in the tank too. Just an experiment, but they seemed to love it.

This was the most recent. About 2 and a half months after the tank's start. Needs pruned badly. Wisterias are added too and are growing quickly. Also some WCM were added that I had in another tank. Water conditions are watched closely but don't change.

All of this was done with stock equipment including the light. Comments, complaints, and compliments are welcome.

Last edited by zemikeclark; 06-16-2013 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Forgot image tags
zemikeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Very nice set-up. I have been considering a Spec V myself. Does your betta have any difficulty with the water flow?
The Fraternity of Dirt #58
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html
RAOK CLUB #20
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
zemikeclark
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtdad2 View Post
Very nice set-up. I have been considering a Spec V myself. Does your betta have any difficulty with the water flow?
Waterflow has been reduced down to the lowest possible setting. It was still pretty rough for him so I direct the flow right towards the glass and down. It hits the plants and slows down a ton.

He has no ripped fins or any signs that he might be stressed and he is able to sleep on the Wendtiis at night without being blown away.

Main reason I even made this thread was to showcase what stock lights can do with low light requiring plants. I had trouble getting that information when I was deciding on whether to do a planted tank so its nice to show.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Great looking Spec V and beautiful betta! The little roots on the roots of the java fern is it propagating and to my knowledge you can pick them off and replace them on your wood. I am a fan of my spec V I use the stock light and everything grows fine just slow which isn't really a problem. I have recently started using a lamp as well for a couple hours during the week to give some extra boost but really the stock setup is great for people as long as they get the proper plants for low light. Keep up the great work.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
zemikeclark
Algae Grower

I figured they were propagating. But there has to be around 20 new leaves. Sadly this is my only planted tank and with how fast everything is growing I swear I could take cuttings and start five new tanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Charrr89

PTrader: (14/100%)

Love the spec. I have one just for plant grow outs.... My beta loves da high setting tho. I guess he's a strange one.

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemikeclark View Post
I figured they were propagating. But there has to be around 20 new leaves. Sadly this is my only planted tank and with how fast everything is growing I swear I could take cuttings and start five new tanks.
Yeah let them grow out a little and you should be able to pick them off. You could always do a RAOK on here if you want to get rid of some or take it to a LFS and they might give you credit.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote