ShrimpZoo's 30gal CRS/CBS/Golden Breeding Tank - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #46
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

damn ): one of the 10 CRS died... he didn't look well during the drip-acclimation so I wasn't all that surprised that the little one (-----) didn't make it. He didn't move at all much...

But the rest of them are doing well and grazing the cholla wood biofilm that I left a long for a long while to build up so that's awesome. Hopefully no more deaths will occur.
shrimpzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #47
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Where did you get them from?

And 6 hour drip. Wow, my guys are lucky if they get an hour. lol. The thing I see with too long of a drip is the bag them come in, especially from shipping, is going to have poop in it, which is going to start ammonia buildup in a small amount of water, and with surface agitation, going to start getting low on O2. I would think after 6 hours, the water in there isn't that good. Granted the ammonia is diluted a bit, but still low O2.

I dunno, drip for 8 hrs vs drip for an hour vs plop and drop are all everyones opinion on whats best, etc. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #48
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I luckily found a guy on the GTA Aquaria forum you linked me a long while back for plants who sold CRS and was in my area (: goes by Jaysin in the forum

I got 10 CRS for $42.00

and paid $5.00 for a bunch of frogbit ($0.50 each) to replace my duckweed lol

and I was originally going to do a 4 hour drip acclimation but I did 6 hours instead because he said that he did 6 hours min for his drip acclimating (if you thought I was doing the drip drip for a long time lol)

anyways yeah there was some poop in the bucket I put them in and I was thinking that might of been the cause, and I asked whether I should run an airstone in the bucket while running the drip but he said it wasn't needed. But still, only 1 casualty isn't too bad (: but it is a shame lol

Hopefully I don't get anymore unpleasant surprises. Hopefully after a week of monitoring and having everything run smoothly, I can probably calm down and lower my paranoia and just take good care of CRS and get some breeding done.

and man did I see a giant molt in the tank today so I would be surprised if I find one berried anytime soon. But then I'm expecting them to berry at about 1.5-2 months down the line (that was the time frame he said that they would be berrying in if I remember correctly)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #49
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Minor Updates + Future Plan:

- Modded my HOB filter so the output flow isn't a waterfall being poured into the tank (it was making a current that I felt was too strong for the CRS)

- Added an air stone and wrapped it around the middle section of the intake pipe of the HOB to make up for taking away the aeration the HOB filter used to provide

- Going to buy a canister filter on Saturday (Eheim 2211 Classic)

My water is going to be so awesomely filtered =D

only filtration I won't have in my tank is a UGF (: and I'll probably never implement one because they seem like too much of a hassle to maintain. Besides, HOB, Sponge, Canister is probably enough lol!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #50
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

How'd you do the mod on the output? Picture?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #51
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can't provide pictures cause my camera has been taken to a different province (Calgary) for a wedding + vacation lol. But I will go picture crazy when I get it back just to show what has changed and to show my CRS =p

It's a little hard to explain but what I did was make a ghetto medieval drawbridge to block the AC50 waterfall output.

Part 1: Making a support beam

1. Took the clear tube off a sponge filter I wasn't using anymore
2. Slipped on 2 suction cups that is used for heaters onto the tube (one on each end)

http://www.angelsplus.com/images/hhhsc.jpg

Part 2: The "drawbridge" - basically a roof of a betta kit

http://www.critter-cages.com/images/hg13400.jpg

1. Took the roof off of the kit
2. Took an airline tube and fastened it onto the "support beam (sponge filter tube)" by putting the airline tube through the 2 holes on the betta kit roof and repeatedly inserting/stringing the airline tube through the sponge filter tube and tied the airtube into a secure knot

Now you have a little bridge that can be attached to your back aquarium wall.

Part 3: Completing the Drawbridge and making it work

1. Placed the tube's suction cups + the betta kit roof under the AC50's output (where the waterfall would occur)

2. Lifted the betta kit roof (bridge) upwards, and have it lean on my aquarium roof (the rectangular opening wedge)

So it should look something like this (except the thing that is keeping it up is that it is leaning on my aquarium roof opening):

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01...HZSVW-1-lg.jpg

So pretty much the water hits the betta kit roof and it goes through the small slits that is in the roof and the waterfall current is now practically a small breeze lol.

I will upload pics someday because I have no doubt my word explanation is a bit confusing XD it doesn't look ugly in my aquarium at all and it isn't even noticeable so I love it. Very secure too (:

Anyways, I'm going to have one hell of a time trying to put together my Eheim 2211 because from what I've heard the instructions are pretty bad (and I hope they aren't as bad as the explanation I just gave for my AC50 mod LOL)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #52
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

I just did what Randyl did, went to the buck store and got a shower holder, put some plastic pot scrubbers in and not only does it slow the flow, but add's more bio-media. About $15 at the buck store and I had enough to do this to like 7 tanks.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #53
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol I actually saw the post on that mod and went out to a dollarama near my house ): didn't seem like they carried that thing

maybe when I run into it at a dollar store in the future I'll do a switch lol

the mod I have now will have to do for now. I do love the idea of more bio-media.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #54
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay! I found the EXACT shower holder that randyl used to mod his hob (YESSSSSS!)

and man it was $1.13 so awesomely cheap !

then I went to a petstore to get some stuff to fill the thing with

- FLUVAL BIOMAX
http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php?...roducts_id=140

- FLUVAL WATER POLISHING PAD
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753127

so I'm going to get started on that now (: and replace my ghetto medieval drawbridge lol
Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #55
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

So large is that shower caddy thing? Seems like ~4-5in width, ~4-5in height, ~2in depth? Where there any smaller ones?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #56
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That was the only size I could find. And I got it instantly cause it already had suction cups on it and it was the exact one that was in the picture that was posted lol.

I roughly measured the dimensions for you and it isssssssss approximately...

Length side to side ~6.5" <----------->
Width up and down ~ 3" ^ v
Depth top to bottom ~ 4.5" - _

I roughly used a tape measure to get those lol. Didn't want to stick it into the water lol ;/
Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #57
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

I just filled mine with plastic pot scrubbers for biomedia from the same dollar. lol. They do sell smaller ones, multi-compartment ones, all kinds depending on the dollar store. FYI, shrimp will climb in the holes and eat on the goodies building up on the bio media. Don't mind them, if they can crawl through a hole to get in, they can crawl and get out. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #58
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay! Since it's my birthday today I think I'm going to go out and get the following for my tank on Saturday !

6 CBS (S Grade)
6 CRS (SS Grade)

+

Eheim 2213 Classic Canister Filter (Getting it as a gift! woot!)

Hopefully all runs well on Saturday without any casualties!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #59
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpzoo View Post
Okay! Since it's my birthday today I think I'm going to go out and get the following for my tank on Saturday !

6 CBS (S Grade)
6 CRS (SS Grade)

+

Eheim 2213 Classic Canister Filter (Getting it as a gift! woot!)

Hopefully all runs well on Saturday without any casualties!
Happy birthday! Haha I did the same thing a few days ago for my birthday. A couple of CRS as a present to myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #60
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol thanks.

it's always so amusing to tell my friends that I want shrimp or a canister filter when they ask me what I want for my birthday XD