ShrimpZoo's 30gal CRS/CBS/Golden Breeding Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, the HOB filter will go in that spot behind the light switch. You should be able to take that piece out and put the filter there.

The water will remain cloudy for a bit until you get the filtration in. I find it best to put a bunch of filter floss in the HOB filter for the first few days as it will collect all those cloudy particles.

Not sure if you have a heater around, but it does help cycling to get the temps up a bit but if not, not a biggie.

Do you have another tank, take the sponges/floss, whatever from another tank and squeeze it into the new tank to get the good bacteria in there. The Netlea soil should leech small amounts of ammonia for a while (not sure how long, I have a bag sitting here unused and the Netlea CRS is the only one I've never used so far of all the Netlea soils). Randyl should know, he's using it right now. I think it's a small amount of ammonia though.

The Netlea soil will lower the pH very low for you and a lower pH makes cycling take longer, so doing small tap water changes will help keep the pH up a bit and make it go faster.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Alright thanks for the tip (: I've saw'd the plastic part to a perfect side for the HOB. I'll post pictures first thing tomorrow morning.

I've got the HOB and the sponge filter up and running. I'll be sure to squeeze the gunk in my other tank into my new tank.

and I realized about the heat thing benefiting growth of bacteria after I left Big Al's... shucks... my friend told me to get the heater and thermometer when I go to get livestock. But as you said, no biggie .

I still need to get my TDS meter. The guy at the counter couldn't seem to find it (he later said after like 30 mins of looking that it was out of stock lol). Anyways, I'll prob start testing the water pH and gH and kH and all that good stuff tomorrow.

p.s: should I squeeze EVERYTHING including shrimp/fish waste into the tank? (from the sponge in my old tank)

Last edited by shrimpzoo; 08-06-2012 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: biology 101 heat + bacteria
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

what kind of substrate is that?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The substrate is:

"NETLEA Crystal Shrimp Soil (9L)"

I got it from Aqua Inspiration:

http://www.aquainspiration.com/nprod...PE=Aqua%20Soil
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update:

The HOB filter being constructed and me putting on the fluval prefilter sponge + pantyhose stocking (for double protective measure for baby shrimps) can't be TOO safe (: ! Hope it doesn't lower the filtering capability. I'm keeping the stocking in place with an elastic.

Result of me sawing the plastic part of my aquarium roof shorter to make room for the HOB filter.

How the tank is looking so far (Filter placement).

================================================== =====

Going to place in the driftwood tomorrow (: and squeeze some good ole beneficial gunk into my aquarium. Maybe even do some plant placements to speed up cycling.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #21
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the tank as it is now:

All I gotta do left in terms of decorating is wait for my cholla wood breeding tubes to arrive so I can put my java ferns on top of it. They'll probably be shipped out around next weekish. So in the meantime, my next post will be about water parameters (mainly tap and what my tank water is at so far)

this is me making a box for the duckweed to not get dunked into the depths of my aquarium

man was it annoying when it got stuck on the java moss and the marimo ball

anyways, till next post I guess XD

Feel free to comment on the current look of my tank and if I should change anything XD

I'm thinking I might transfer my DIY coconut cave into the tank under the area where the HOB filter is pouring water lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #22
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

I suggest:

Pulling your duckweed out now while you don't have plants.
Get frogbit if you can, it is easier to deal with/remove from a tank with plants in it.

Ditch the stocking. The sponge is enough protection, baby shrimp will not get sucked inside.

No matter what nice tank build!

-Gordon
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
I suggest:

Pulling your duckweed out now while you don't have plants.
Get frogbit if you can, it is easier to deal with/remove from a tank with plants in it.

Ditch the stocking. The sponge is enough protection, baby shrimp will not get sucked inside.

No matter what nice tank build!

-Gordon
+1
Duckweed can be your friend in chemical spikes, but in a tank this large, its gonna get outta control real fast and you won't ever get it out.
Frogbit, salvinia, RRF can be possible replacements.

The sponge will definitely be enough so you don't have to wrap it in stocking. Adding the stocking will make clogging that much faster for sure.

Nice setup!
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #24
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I think the sponge + stocking will definitely cut down on filtration, especially when they start to clog. Plus, removing BOTH of those to clean will be a major PITA. Just stick with the sponge prefilter. If you have a chance I would definitely recommend ordering a stainless steel prefilter.

How are you keeping your duckweed strainer thing in place? Just wedged behind the filter?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #25
cantsay39
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

lmao i tried to diy filter wrap with fish nets... gosh... >.< it clogs after a week~ i guess every week is cleaning time lol
cantsay39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #26
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay I'll ditch the stocking.

and I'm keeping the duckweed straw border in place by wedging it behind the filter yeah.

and I think I can manage with the duckweed. I'll be doing regular water changes every week anyways, so I don't think it'll bother me too much. Frogbit never really lasted for me in my tank, and water lettuce dissolves on the surface of the tank.

I'll remove the stocking first thing tomorrow, and I think I might consider the stainless steel pre-filter.

I'm looking at it on Ebay and reading about it on http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=139535 and http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=161202

I'm thinking although sponge offers biological filtration it can get clogged... however, stainless steel means that I won't need to worry about clogs as much because it's easier to spot and will rarely happen.

I'll probably order it once I see how much leftover money I have on my paypal after paying for the cholla wood breeding tube sets lol.

Last edited by shrimpzoo; 08-07-2012 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: links
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #27
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is why I love Aqueon filter over Aquaclear when having floaters
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #28
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Photo update:

Added some rocks in the aquarium to account for the empty space between the marimo balls lol and added my DIY coconut cave. And removed the stocking from the HOB filter.

going to test my tap water first thing tomorrow and the tank water. Will post results here.

p.s: I'm planning on having both CBS and CRS in this tank now instead of just CRS (:
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #29
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (372/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Yes, the HOB filter will go in that spot behind the light switch. You should be able to take that piece out and put the filter there.

The water will remain cloudy for a bit until you get the filtration in. I find it best to put a bunch of filter floss in the HOB filter for the first few days as it will collect all those cloudy particles.

Not sure if you have a heater around, but it does help cycling to get the temps up a bit but if not, not a biggie.

Do you have another tank, take the sponges/floss, whatever from another tank and squeeze it into the new tank to get the good bacteria in there. The Netlea soil should leech small amounts of ammonia for a while (not sure how long, I have a bag sitting here unused and the Netlea CRS is the only one I've never used so far of all the Netlea soils). Randyl should know, he's using it right now. I think it's a small amount of ammonia though.

The Netlea soil will lower the pH very low for you and a lower pH makes cycling take longer, so doing small tap water changes will help keep the pH up a bit and make it go faster.
Just curious, if we are to travel, are we allowed to bring the NETLEA Crystal Shrimp Soil (9L) to the USA? My cousin is from Canada and travels to the US 1-2 times a year. If that works I would like to try some. They seems so good!

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

12G Mr. Aqua Journal - My 1st Iwagumi Rimless
17G Mr. Aqua Journal - My Shrimp Tank
RAOK Club #35 Sharing IS Caring
MsNemoShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #30
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just tested my tap water:

TAP WATER

pH: 7.6 - 8.0

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

kH: 6 drops = 6°dKH = 107.4 ppm

gH: 9 drops = 9°dKH = 161.1 ppm

=============================

Is there any difference between dKH and KH?

and how is my tap water guys & gals? (for CRS and CBS)