CHEAPEST co2 paintball regulator ...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Exclamation

CHEAPEST co2 paintball regulator ...

well i have been messing around with paintball setups on a few of my tanks, using the ASA on/off valve and come to the conclusion that they suck, they explode, the pins fall out, pain in the a$$ to deal with, i have heard you can get regulators at a decent price for paintball setup, but where??

i have a few setups on the way to be built, in total i will be running 4 setups put together from this http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=115850
thanks to jagged!!

but i need a good price on regulators for all of them, anyone have a good source so i dont spend like 170$ on one that grean leaf offers? i need cheap but yet efficient or i will have to keep trying my luck with these on/off valves which scare the crap out of me..... almost pooped my pants last time too much pressure got into the bubble counter....

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Are your tanks close to each other? You could use aquateks split reg and just frequently change out the paintball tank

http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Regula...atek+regulator
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Get a really nice dual-stage regulator from here on TPT for $50, buy a $15 paintball adapter and you're all set.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Get a really nice dual-stage regulator from here on TPT for $50, buy a $15 paintball adapter and you're all set.
do you have a link??

and i would love to use the above regulator but my tanks wont be close together for a while, not until i get a shrimp rack up and running so maybe in the future.... i just need something that is all in one i can just buy, screw on and go
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Yep. Hit up the Swap & Shop - the For Sale/Trade section. Or post a Want To Buy message in the WTB section. There are several sellers who can help you put together a great regulator for an affordable price.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok sounds great, thanks for your help!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

posted a thread in the WTB section, hopefully someone responds, i just dont have the cash flow to invest too much, ive managed to do my paintball setups for around 40$ but i just want an easier way.... its too risky and my on/off valves arent that great so far...
Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have seen people add paintball regulators to their DIY paintball setups. I was going to use a regulator from an autococker. Can be found cheap used.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

I would run lines from 1 or two regs to the other tanks. Buy a 5 or 10lb tank, reg, manifold and NV. Many people can help you get there.

Paintball co2 is more expensive in many ways. It costs much more to fill paintball co2. A 5lb fill costs 12 dollars here and a 10lb was 16 last I filled.

You don't need a dual stage reg, despite many many many people's constant insisting. Plenty of good single stage regs are out there.

Getting the cheapest option often ends in frustration much like you have with these paintball setups. I really wish people would quit selling and recommending these "paintball ASA" setups.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Getting the cheapest option often ends in frustration much like you have with these paintball setups. I really wish people would quit selling and recommending these "paintball ASA" setups.
X2

They should be sold with a warning. Warning - Death or injury could result in improper or use or mishandling... (You are holding onto a small rocket with strip-able aluminum threads holding it together.)

You know what really gets me... The fact that those paintball adapters don't come with instructions. You could easily get frost bite from just had tightening the cga-320 side with out the washer installed.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
idleivey
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been using an ASA and its a PITA to get it dialed in and can shift even after you do. Danger wise you should be fine as long as you don't use an atomizer or any type of diffusion that clamps down on the line.

I've had mine blow three or so times (only while I've been messing with it) and worst case you lose your co2 and spray some water around. Now if I had an atomizer on there I would have cracked my tank easily.
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #12
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

One doesn't need a dual-stage regulator but it eliminates potential headaches like end of tank dump - which is very real. And for the price, I can't imagine not just getting dual-stage. The price difference is so minimal that it just makes sense. Kind of like spending a zillion bucks on a paintball system when you could get a 10lb system for a similar price.

For my last regulator purchase, I spent a whopping $102ish on the regulator, manifold, three needle valves, solenoid and shipping.

Another thing about getting a full-size regulator… you won't have to buy a whole new rig when you decide to move up from a 20oz bottle to a 10lb cylinder.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #13
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
One doesn't need a dual-stage regulator but it eliminates potential headaches like end of tank dump - which is very real.
I thought Paintball tanks didn't do that?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

good information, thanks guys, i'm trying to vast my knowledge on bigger co2 setups, since i will one day have a larger fish room (already working my way up there with 9 tanks and 5 heavily planted setups) i need to learn rapidly.... i feel like i have a decent amount of knowledge but i need to learn all the details

as far as the paintball methods, i like to use them for smaller tanks, and it is cheap to build with a cylinder only about 50 ish bucks... but once i get a planted tank room setup i would like to get a regulator with a 6 way option to just have co2 tubing around the whole room hooked to maybe a 20lb tank..... where do you guys get your setups? is there a place that doesnt charge an arm and a leg for a complete all in one kit (minus the cylinder) ??
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
wetbizquit
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
For my last regulator purchase, I spent a whopping $102ish on the regulator, manifold, three needle valves, solenoid and shipping.
if i may ask, where did you find such a great buy?

i have searched and found a few good sources for cheaper larger co2 cylinders that are affordable but never have seen a complete package for this cheap, i would love more information since you seem quite experienced with pressurized setups...