Lighting for 10 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Z-Diggy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for 10 gallon

I have a 10 gallon cycled tank. I have a hood and the T-8 light it came with. I have a 20 gallon planted tank and I don't have CO2 or fertilizer, just a T-8 bulb. The plants are thriving, but I feel I may have just gotten lucky. I took one of my smallest plants and put it in the 10 gallon. After about a week it was completely dead. What I want to know is, is there a good bulb that would work? The only ones I can find are 15 watts. What I would love is a carpet. I don't want to spend more then $40 dollars. I know that the T-5 is the best, but I'm looking for a mix of good and cheap. Can anyone give advice? Thanks. And sorry for rambling
Z-Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

not sure you can get high light without spending more than $40. i'd say get a couple CFLs in dome-type fixtures, but i don't know if they come in high enough wattages to give you high light on a ten gallon.

oh, and if you wanted much higher light than a T-8 bulb on your ten gallon (low light) you'd definitely need CO2 and ferts. i find that i need both on my ten gallon, lit - same as yours - with a single T-8 bulb. what plant was it that you put in your ten gallon that died?
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Z-Diggy
Algae Grower

I don't actually know what the name is. I got it/them from walmart. There was an assorted pack of plant bulbs. the "mother" plant shot up a stock to the top of the water and dropped like 3 "seeds". Once 2 of them shot out some roots and leaves I put them in the 10 gallon tank. They were about 1"-1.5" tall. So that may have been a factor to why they didn't survive. The first picture is the "baby" (from the "seed")and the second is the "mother" (from the bulb). I was wonder if you knew what it was because I have tried and can't find any of the plants that came in the pack. Also, what is more important: having the 2-5 watts/gallon, or the color temperature?

P.S. I am using the " " because I don't know anything better to call it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1544.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	51771  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1545.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	51772  

Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
dannylc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Diggy View Post
I don't actually know what the name is. I got it/them from walmart. There was an assorted pack of plant bulbs. the "mother" plant shot up a stock to the top of the water and dropped like 3 "seeds". Once 2 of them shot out some roots and leaves I put them in the 10 gallon tank. They were about 1"-1.5" tall. So that may have been a factor to why they didn't survive. The first picture is the "baby" (from the "seed")and the second is the "mother" (from the bulb). I was wonder if you knew what it was because I have tried and can't find any of the plants that came in the pack. Also, what is more important: having the 2-5 watts/gallon, or the color temperature?

P.S. I am using the " " because I don't know anything better to call it.
Looks like Aponogeton natans

Dirt tank - 120g 120cm x 60cm x 76cm ( under construction )
Shrimp tank - 10g 60cm x 30cm x 35cm ( under construction )
The Fraternity of Dirt #93
dannylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Jegli09
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I would say two Cfl's in the dome feature is a good suggestion for the 10 gallon tank. Without CO2 tho this will probably end up being too much light for your tank to handle
Jegli09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

When money is a big factor, go low light. I don't think of plants dying quickly from lack of light. I suspect there were other things involved in the plant dying. Being uprooted and moved is pretty tough sometimes. For light for a ten that is low tech, I would suggest a very simple light. How much cool does it need versus cheap? That will be your decision! What I might do is look for a lamp at a thrift shop, garage sale, etc. maybe. Anything to hold a bulb over the tank. Carpet plants and high light may be out for cheap but two twisty CFL bulbs in a lamp that hangs over the tank may grow a lot of things you like. Floor lamps with the swivel neck can be found cheap and there are adapters to hold two bulbs in a single socket.
Let your imagination run and see where it gets you.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Z-Diggy
Algae Grower

I have 2 light fixtures to hold a T-8 for a 10 gallon tank. Should I just go with a single 15 watt bulb? Or should I try to fit them both on top? And if I do go with a CO2 system, are there any that you recommend?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

one T-8 is really a fine bulb for a 10 gallon tank, my plants are flourishing with it! that puts you in low light, i swear. maybe even a little higher, i have to run DIY CO2 on my tank ;-;

i think your plant dying may have been from a lack of ferts... watts/gallon is useless, and plants can use many color spectrums... PAR is the most important measurement of light: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Jegli09
Planted Member

As far as CO2 goes, you might just want to use DIY for a bit
Old 08-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Z-Diggy
Algae Grower

I've tried DIY, but I can seem to get it right. It either releases a lot of CO2 for like 2 days, or it releases like a tiny bit over a while. Does anyone have a good method?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Algae Grower

i hear jello works really well:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=166339
you may need to tweak it for your tank though, just like anything
987456321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Jegli09
Planted Member

I use 2 cups of sugar, fill up with warm-ish water, add 1/4 teaspoon yeast, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda then shake with my hand over the cap. This always lasts me a month or so until I need to change it again
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Z-Diggy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Diggy View Post
I have 2 light fixtures to hold a T-8 for a 10 gallon tank. Should I just go with a single 15 watt bulb? Or should I try to fit them both on top? And if I do go with a CO2 system, are there any that you recommend?
Back to this question, should I just use one 15 watt 5500K bulb, or one 15 watt 5500K bulb and one 15 watt 5000K bulb?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

A typical aquarium light hood with one T8 bulb will give you good low light, about as much as you can use without having to use CO2. So, I would only use one bulb, but I prefer 6500K bulbs because I think the tank looks better with them.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
Z-Diggy
Algae Grower

What is the best "K" that plants like?

Tags
10 gallon, cheap, t-8