Moving tank around the house
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
battered
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Moving tank around the house

Quick question - I'm planning on moving a 10 gallon tank from 1 floor of the house to another. I'm going to drain most of the water out of the tank and net out most of the fish as well. I have a few cories in there though; should I just leave them in while moving the tank, or would it be less stressful just to take them out, and put them back in after everything is done?
battered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
CatB
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

Quote:
Originally Posted by battered View Post
Quick question - I'm planning on moving a 10 gallon tank from 1 floor of the house to another. I'm going to drain most of the water out of the tank and net out most of the fish as well. I have a few cories in there though; should I just leave them in while moving the tank, or would it be less stressful just to take them out, and put them back in after everything is done?
probably less stressful to take them out, i feel like it would get jostled a lot going up the stairs and that's never fun :C
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Take them out they are pretty easy to get to once there is only a few inches of water, and there is a lot of water sloshing IME going up stairs. I actually had one of my upside down catfish get buried in the substrate when I moved my 10g (he survived but wasn't happy)
Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

It's just 10 gallons. I wouldn't even take out the fish. Take out as much water as you can, then move the tank onto some kind of board so you can lift up and move around (I wouldn't just pick up the tank as it puts a lot of weight on certain parts unevenly).
Old 07-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

If you move really slowly, you'll have very little water disturbance. I move 5.5 and 10gal tanks up and down stairs all the time with no issue.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

I rescaped my 10G completely and all my fish seemed really stressed out after being netted twice in one day, especially my serpae tetra. If I was just moving it, I'd drain most of the water and just walk slow. Don't net your fish out.

~~~
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.