Need help sexing German Blue Rams (With Video)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
manta965
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need help sexing German Blue Rams (With Video)

Hello, So i just got some GBR today and I acclimated them and they seemed fine in the bag. I let them out and they went there separate ways and got used to home (a 30 gallon planted tank).

They spend most of the time on opposite sides of the tank grazing of the sand bed but when they do get close to each other they lock eyes and seem to try and assert dominance over each other. They even spent a good minute taking shots at each others sides.

Now I am wondering do I have two of the same sex or are they just a bad couple for now lol. Based on the body shape One being more wide top to bottom with a more stout head the other being slimmer and pointier. Any way here is a video of them there are some bad focus points but also a few really good shots of them. Also at the end a point where they decide to charge each other lock lips then swim off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiMQn...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by manta965; 07-29-2012 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: title edit
manta965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Taari
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

They may be too young to sex accurately still. My female ram was as colorful and gorgeous as any male. The easiest way to tell is that females have a rosy-red belly and males do not. The second dorsal spine is also very elongated on a male, as are the posterior tips of the dorsal and anal fins, and the tips of the tail. Females also have blue irridecence all the way through the black spot behind their head, while males only have the blue irridecence around the outside, and it is solid black in the center. Some people will also tell you that males have black on the front of their fentral fins and females do not, but my female had black on the front of her ventral fins, so I don't think that marker is accurate.
And in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire.
Taari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
Some people will also tell you that males have black on the front of their fentral fins and females do not, but my female had black on the front of her ventral fins, so I don't think that marker is accurate.

you are correct on that however IME the males tend to have more black than the females. this difference is really only noticeable in older fish.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
hydrosparky
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

These days, the females look a lot like the males. Heck, I've heard that some people had males with rosy bellies! My female ram looks like a male, except that she has the red spot on her belly. Rams these days are getting harder to sex, except for the wild ones.
hydrosparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
matt13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (90/100%)

Manta,

After looking at your video, it appears that the first fish is a male. The elongated second (black) dorsal spine kind of gives it a way. The second fish appears that it too may be a male, but I wouldn't bet my reputation on it. It does not have the elongated dorsal spine, but it appears to be about the same size as fish #1. Females also tend to be a bit smaller (about 2/3 the size of an adult male) As was already pointed out, the females have a pinkish belly and the males do not. The ventral fins on a mature male are also somewhat elongated.

I attached a picture of a pair of our German Blue Rams (GBRs) spawning. While not the best picture, you can clearly see the pink belly on the female on the left, while the male on the right is somewhat larger and has the elongated fins.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	51642  

matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
manta965
Algae Grower

Hmm, Females only develop the pink when they are in breeding condition though right. These are only 1st day in my tank. They also might be juvenile still as they don't really show the same iridescence and color that most mature one do.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta965 View Post
Hmm, Females only develop the pink when they are in breeding condition though right. These are only 1st day in my tank. They also might be juvenile still as they don't really show the same iridescence and color that most mature one do.

if its the first day, give them some time to settle in. they are still stressed from the transfer.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
manta965
Algae Grower

alright, they do seem to already be coloring up more then yesterday. They feed very well and gobble up everything i put in the tank. They still flare up at each other and start duking it out every ow and then though, and the smaller one seems to win these every time lol.