The Planted Tank Forum banner

HELP discus not eating.... but spawning

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kalawai2000 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to discus keeping, I recently acquired 3x 5inch discus (PBxTefe green mix) about two weeks ago, they havnt eaten but 2 have paired up and have spawned on my driftwood. I've tried bloodworms, beef heart flakes and even live blackworms to no avail... nitrates are at 10-20ppm ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0.. ph is about 6.5-7(fluctuates because of co2).. My tank is a 72 gallon, heavily planted tank with tetras, cherry barbs and apistos... I change water weekly, about 50% each time... any help would be really appreciated. I'm concerned that if they don't eat, they'll wither away...

#3 ·
Have they been eating before for you? Adult fish can go weeks with little to no food.

3 is a bad number of cichlids. The third wheel will get picked and stressed. If you have a breeding pair keep just them and sell the odd man out.

The spawning is why the pair is not eating too busy. The third one might be stressed but the pair. They are new give them time to adjust to you food. Find out what they were fed before.

Also if they really are breeding and you see eggs that means they are healthy and happy. Fish don't breed unless they are happy. So you are doing something right.

Photos what be nice. I love wild tefe greens and would love to see your mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.