Lush Growth Without CO2, is it possible?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Lush Growth Without CO2, is it possible?

So,

Ive been contemplating a dwarf puffer tank, densely planted. However, I want to try it low tech with no CO2. Is it possible? All of my serious planted tanks are injected, so I want to try something different. Lights, low light? Ferts, NPK and micros at water change only? Active substrate? How about gas exchange, lots or little surface agitation?
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Hello, yes it's possible. It all depends on the light. You can dose as you wish keeping in mind build up vs water changes. It's a slow metabolism so it won't need too much.

I can't post pics from the mobile version so I encourage to look at my 6gal nano:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=169143

Lots of surface agitation WITHOUT splashing. 6hrs of light maximum.

I can give you more details if you want.

Hope this helps.
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! I'd like as many details as you can provide. I'm trying to research all that I can on a lush low tech setup. I'm planning this on a 20g L, so I'm also looking for suggestions on suitable equipment, especially a fixture
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi Trickerie,

Yes, growth is slower and less ferts are needed as is a good cleaning crew. This is my 10 gallon Apisto breeding setup (w/ 'loveshack') it has 2X10 watt screw-in CFL's.

BTW, stop at toojay's and have a corned beef sandwich for me!

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 07-25-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: add info
Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

check out this thread
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99729
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Plant as heavy as possible, most plants will do ok.
With an active substrate you may be able to skip dosing.
Adjust the light distance/time to match the co2 provided by the atmosphere. Too much = algae and or deficiencies. Some plans need more than others.
Make sure there is plenty of surface agitation, you need to avoid surface scum. IME.
Low maintainance means very few inhabitants or just inverts and good filtration. IMO.

That is what I do. What I exactly do I that tank won't really apply to other tanks tho.
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Low Tech, Planted Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
So,

Ive been contemplating a dwarf puffer tank, densely planted. However, I want to try it low tech with no CO2. Is it possible? All of my serious planted tanks are injected, so I want to try something different. Lights, low light? Ferts, NPK and micros at water change only? Active substrate? How about gas exchange, lots or little surface agitation?
Hello T...

I have heavily planted, low tech tanks and it's definitely possible to have healthy plants without the added "bells and whistles". All you need is a well stocked tank of non destructive, non plant gulping fish and a source of the "trace elements".

Lighting is pretty easy. You need a couple of 6500K, T5 bulbs or a little more than a watt of light per gallon of tank volume and you can grow quite a large number of low to moderate light plants.

I have larger tanks and emerse land plants in the tank as well as keeping the standard aquatic ones. My tanks are full of plants.

B
Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

Lighting is based on PAR, not watts per gallon. Watts per gallon is sorely outdated for a number of reasons. Click here for an explanation.

Your tank doesn't have to be well-stocked in order to grow plants, either.

As others have said, it's easy to get lush growth without CO2. I'm a fan of nutrient-rich substrates but if you can't get your hands on something like ADA Aquasoil or Azoo Plant Grower Bed, you can use root tabs. If you don't have high lighting and don't grow super-demanding plants, you may never have to dose anything in the water column.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm thinking only 1 male and 3 female puffers for inhabitants. Lots and lots of plants. Other than that, maybe some shrimp of they aren't devoured by the puffers

And Toojays is awesome!! Had a cheesecake at a bday party they made a few weeks ago, in fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Trickerie,

Yes, growth is slower and less ferts are needed as is a good cleaning crew. This is my 10 gallon Apisto breeding setup (w/ 'loveshack') it has 2X10 watt screw-in CFL's.

BTW, stop at toojay's and have a corned beef sandwich for me!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default The Old "Watts per Gallon" Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Lighting is based on PAR, not watts per gallon. Watts per gallon is sorely outdated for a number of reasons. Click here for an explanation.

Your tank doesn't have to be well-stocked in order to grow plants, either.

As others have said, it's easy to get lush growth without CO2. I'm a fan of nutrient-rich substrates but if you can't get your hands on something like ADA Aquasoil or Azoo Plant Grower Bed, you can use root tabs. If you don't have high lighting and don't grow super-demanding plants, you may never have to dose anything in the water column.
Hello some...

I've heard the "Watts per Gallon" rule is outdated. But, so am I, I guess. I could never get a handle on the "PARs thing. Anyway, this rule, though a little old, can get you close to the target amount of watts needed to grow the majority of aquarium plants available that require up to moderate lighting.

I used it and just got a couple of T5, 28 watt bulbs in my 55 G tanks. Just plain, old pea sized gravel substrate. The fish provide the bulk nutrients and I dose a little liquid micro nutrient source once a week when I do a water change. As long as I avoid the "higher end" plants, the standard plants get all the nutrients needed.

Good post, thanks!

B
Old 07-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

Not trying to argue with you but no, the watts per gallon rule cannot get you close to a target amount of lighting.

It depends upon the depth of the tank, the power of the bulb, the kind of reflector you're using, whether it's an LED, a T5NO, T5HO, T8 Metal Halide, CFL, et al. 60 watts of T5 on a tank that's 10" deep is a lot different than 60 watts on a tank that's 20" deep.

Click the link I provided in my comment. Here it is again. It's a great, easy to understand resource about PAR and the non-rule of watts per gallon..
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
exv152
Wannabe Guru

The PAR method is just too complicated and convoluted for the average joe aquarist. And I don't have $300-$400 lying around to invest in a meter that will get used less than a handful of times (usually when setting up a tank). And buying two meters to convert lux to par just seems too complicated. I'm old school and as scientifically accurate as that method may be, I need something more practical to calculate light intensity, something that can be calculated in my head at the store, or when surfing the internet. As flawed as watts per gallon is, I just go with that and adjust accordingly (adjust the height of the light, the amount of bulbs in use etc) based on how the plants reacte.

As for a low tech planted puffer tank is concerned, I would plant it very heavily because puffers are inquisitive type fish and need to have their line of sight diverted from their fellow tank mates to control aggression. Plant heavily and with low light plants, keeping the pH just above 7.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi All,

His question was about being able to grow plants without CO2; I don't think he was looking for a lighting debate.

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
So,

You've asked just the question i needed
~ let's avoid CO2 explosion and do it natural way!
Awwww puffers are sooo cute!!
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got non injected tanks, but none of them are meant to keep plants. Lighting is one thing, but this is more about techniques in keepin plants lush without co2