Furcata Rainbows
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
hydrosparky
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Furcata Rainbows

Hi! Anyone keep these? Anyone breed these? Any info would be great!
hydrosparky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Here is an article from one of the rainbow guru's http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Furcatus.htm

I have not had the chance yet to have these guys, although they are on my list for the 40b when I get around to setting it up. I have heard that the lifespan on these little guys is only a couple of years, so you would almost certainly want to keep them spawning. The egg production drops off as they age. They also spawn like other rainbows.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrosparky View Post
You can also check out http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/ and http://rainbow-fish.org/ for more info. These two forums have some of the foremost experts in Rainbowfish as members. the posts can come slowly, but they will get you the info you need.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrosparky View Post
I keep them, not much luck with breeding though. Perhaps the fry is getting eaten right away. I accidentally sent one via priority mail to the other side of the country, presumably as an egg.

Anyway, I love them. Have them in hard water, they like all sorts of food, are peaceful. Not as flashy as P. gertrudaes. Perfect fish for planted tanks. Keep a group of them for best results.

Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I just got some yesterday and they are beautiful! Always chasing each other around. If they breed it will be great but if not they are a good fish to have. Very active.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I just got some yesterday and they are beautiful! Always chasing each other around. If they breed it will be great but if not they are a good fish to have. Very active.
Put a male and several females in a bare bottom tank with a spawning mop. for the first 15 min. or so of lights on, most rainbowfish get "active" Check back an hour or so and see if there are eggs in the mop. From what I have read, Furcata rainbows have pretty large eggs. as for hatching lol I am not sure, I have had my herberts spawn, but I never did try to hatch the eggs.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Are these schooling fishes? If so how many should be bought for them to school together?

To those that have them how are they as a community fish and how do you think they would do with zebra danios?
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
mo2vation
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have them. I keep them. I LOVE THEM!

They are so goofy and funny. They live in the top half of your aquarium... I bought them because I have a 15G Column in one room, and the Corys are on the bottom, the Tetras in the center, and I wanted something on top.... so I got these.

I love them so much I bought more, and moved them to the main tank.

Their color in the stores is NOTHING like what it will be when you get them home. Black tank back, black substrate and they get vibrant - with their yellow ridiculous pectoral head-fins waving around and their 'forked' tail wagging... they're a blur of commotion - always moving, always tight, always beautiful.

I had all males until yesterday. There was this one fish in with my GloLight Danios... but it wasn't one of them... it kinda sat by its self all the time. I was in my LFS yesterday, and he just got in males and female Furcattas.... the mystery fish is a female!!

So I put her in with 11 males... OMG... insanity. I went back to my LFS and got a couple more females. The boys are all super active... more than their general hyper self.

I'm not looking to breed fish - No interest at all. But the behavior change was palpable when the ladies were added to the gang of boys.

I love these fish.

-Ken
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.