Mr Aqua 12L, am I going to need a powerhead?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

Mr Aqua 12L, am I going to need a powerhead?

So I'm about to place a MarineDepot order and want to make sure I'm getting the last of what I need. I have an Eheim 2213 to go with this tank and will probably be doing a custom spray bar running most of the length of the tank. Will I also need a powerhead with this setup to help with circulation? Just want to cover my bases before I order tonight. Thanks in advance!
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

You won't need a powerhead if you're creating a custom spraybar (see my journal).

Getting a tiny, cheap powerhead as a fall back isn't a bad idea if you can swing it, though.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

So if I do the spraybar right with just the Eheim 2213 I *should* be ok?? I still may grab a cheap powerhead like you suggest though...just to have on hand Thank's Jake!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You'll be more than okay, I think. I have a 2232 and it's less powerful than the 2213 and I have no issues with flow at all. If anything, I've got too much after months and months of junk to clog the filter up.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 07-24-2012 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: Grammar - UGH.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nah you don't want a power head in there wasting the space in an already small (albeit long) tank. I say a custom spray bar is great or even ADA's power pipes... those things spray very fast and I'd be surprised if it didn't help circulate it all the way length wise.

I've been thinking about a 12 long and I would use that personally. It's only in metal and not glass though but they have matching intakes as well

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Jet pipes and lily pipes aren't really suited for this tank, unfortunately. They don't reach to the opposite end of the tank and those that get close are so powerful that they mess your substrate up.

Back to front flow is about the only thing that really works in this tank, in my opinion and experience. And I've been through about 10,000 different setups to find the perfect thing.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

I'm almost positive that Eheim 2213 will not be enough, especially with a full-length sparybar and/or heavily planted. My $0.02.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It's more than enough.

Please check out my journal and the dozens of other journals on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I'm almost positive that Eheim 2213 will not be enough, especially with a full-length sparybar and/or heavily planted. My $0.02.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Plus normal inflow pipes are too long for this shallow tank.
Tank is only9", my substrate is 1.5". The inflow pipes are like 8" long (with the strainer attached).

I'm not a fan of spray bar concept... So I use a small powerhead that one they use on "mini water fountain" from Walmart/Target/Ross.
Attached Images

sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It's more than enough.

Please check out my journal and the dozens of other journals on the forum.
Why would I argue? My opinion is my oppinion.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Oh wow! Nice tank. No doubt 2213 won't be sufficient for that tank.

What I got so far with 2213 alone (both inflow & outflow are on the same side) = BGA/ Cyanobacteria because the lack of circulation I had.

2217 (both inflow & outflow are on the same side) = too much flow, it uproot HC on the opposite side of the outflow.

My wild guess 2215 would be perfect for this tank if you dont want to use a spray bar.

*really all depends on your scaping. If its a flat simple iwagumi like my tank 2213 is perfect for it.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

BGA merely prefers to grow in areas with low flow but it can and does form in higher flow areas. It's typically caused by too much light and high nitrate and phosphate.

That said - I'm using a 2213 and 2232 on 12gal tanks with tons of plants blocking flow and everything is perfect. If anything, there's too much movement. That's with a custom spraybar created specifically for this tank and for good back-to-front flow.

Since the OP said they "will probably be doing a custom spray bar running most of the length of the tank", that's why I confirmed that the 2213 and 2232 are perfect for that job. It's not an argument or an opinion - it's directly from personal experience.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Oh wow! Nice tank. No doubt 2213 won't be sufficient for that tank.

What I got so far with 2213 alone (both inflow & outflow are on the same side) = BGA/ Cyanobacteria because the lack of circulation I had.

2217 (both inflow & outflow are on the same side) = too much flow, it uproot HC on the opposite side of the outflow.

My wild guess 2215 would be perfect for this tank if you dont want to use a spray bar.

*really all depends on your scaping. If its a flat simple iwagumi like my tank 2213 is perfect for it.
Is your 2217 hitting the opposite side when set up on one of the short sides? I'll be using a 2236, and I believe they have similar amounts of flow.

I would use Somewhatshocked's full length spray bar setup, but for a variety of reasons I can't in this specific tank.

I'm also worried about sufficient flow for the tank.
larcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for all the input folks! It will be planted but not heavily planted by any stretch. NOTHING like OVT's tank (which is lovely BTW). Its not a big deal to me to run the spray bar and pick up a powerhead as well. I'd just rather have it on hand when I go to install everything More input is always welcome
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
Is your 2217 hitting the opposite side when set up on one of the short sides? I'll be using a 2236, and I believe they have similar amounts of flow.

I would use Somewhatshocked's full length spray bar setup, but for a variety of reasons I can't in this specific tank.

I'm also worried about sufficient flow for the tank.
Yes the water is hitting the opposite side and back to the inflow with the 2217. Infact its too strong. I would reduce the flow with the quick disconnect valve about 1/4.

This is my settup right now with 2213 + small fountain pump.