29g options.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
atomicjade
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

29g options.

Hey guys, I took advantage of Petco's "$1 a gallon" sale and bought myself a 29g. This will be my second attempt at a planted tank, my other one is a 2g and then I've only had it planted for a couple months... therefore, I am a noob! I bought a Deep Blue SolarMax dual T5HO 30" fixture, but honestly I am kind of displeased with the quality. Most everything about it feels "cheap" (especially the flimsy legs) and for being a HO the light seems dim. Even with on my bf's 20L reef it seems too blue and while it covers a greater area than my Finnex 26w clipon, the Finnex is visibly a superior light. I feel I can get something better for $130, I ultimately like the look of LEDs but wonder if they are the better option for a long type tank. Any suggestions are appreciated
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
steveg89
Algae Grower

I had a similar dilemma. I ended up going with the finnex 24'' Ray2 fixture (day/day) and hanging it about 2 inches above my tank. Including my substrate it's about 18'' from light to floor. I don't remember exactly but it's around 50 PAR for that depth. Raising it a bit helped to make up for the 3'' gap on each side and I don't notice any dark spots or plants leaning towards the middle.
steveg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
atomicjade
Algae Grower

Do you by any chance have photos of your set up? The ray 2 was my next top choice, I've had good experience with Finnex.
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
steveg89
Algae Grower

Not currently but I'll try to take one tonight.
steveg89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.