Ro g/h k/h
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ro g/h k/h

I've been looking at buying an RO system. I have been trying to decide what I need to use to reconstitute the water. I am not interested in using my tap water in a mixture. I have been looking at Seachem Equilibrium, and GLA G/H booster, which are about the same thing I beleive. Neither of these products claim to do anything for K/H. Do I need to add something else to reconstitute the water? What is ideal g/h, k/h? I will be dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, and probably Flourish for micro's. Low/Medium light, and pressurized co2.
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Default my take on setting RO

GH
The grind on the minerals is finer with the GLA product so it seems to mix better for me.
I've used three 'ready blends' and GLA gets my repeat orders.

KH
CaCO3 doesn't mix very well in my experience using it. I use baking soda because it has great solubility, low cost, availability and consistent results. No issues with it precipitating out of solution either. The sodium content of baking soda isn't a high enough concentration at the level I dose to effect flora or fauna. Dosed at water changes to test out as 2dKH is enough to maintain stable PH values in the 7.0 - 7.4 range without CO2 and enough to prevent a pH crash using gas. I've only once seen tested values drop after setting parameters and that was after long term neglect on a trimmings tank.

To increase KH (using leveled teaspoons)
1/8 TSP : 6.6 gallons = 1dKH
1/4 TSP : 13.2 gallons = 1dKH
1/2 TSP : 26.4 gallons = 1dKH

I keep softwater parameters in the 3-5dGH range and always mix for 2dKH.
TDS stays in the lower range and I like the results.

Potassium carbonate or calcium based are our 2 best choices looking for a buffer. BS is the cheapest, has great solubility and is readily available.

In the past I have added limestone (Texas holy rock) to my hardscape and didn't like how much my water increased in buffer over a weeks time (Rising everyday). Crushed coral would do the same thing so does cuttlebone. With the BS I mix to a desired value and there it remains.

I prefer static changes I can control so I've stayed with the BS for KH.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)

Last edited by wkndracer; 08-05-2012 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: *
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

IME there is no need to adjust the KH, i use 100% RO and no Kh at all, only dose GH booster and my ferts. never seen a fish suffer from low KH.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When changing a tank form tap water(350 ppm tsd, 10 gh, 6 kh), to an ro/tap water mixture, of 33% tap water / 66% ro water, The expected outcome would be 116ppm tsd, 3.3gh, and 2kh. How much time should I take converting to this mixture, with weekly water changes, to keep from shocking my critters and plants?
29 gallon, Fluval 306. Aquatop PF25-UV Power Filter, 1x39 watt T5HO 7" above tank. P.F. Sand, Pressurized CO2, 5 Glowlight Tetra's, 3 Halequin Rasborah's, 3 neons, 2 Oto's, 5 Cherry Shrimp, 4 Amano Shrimp.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I would figure out the math so that the TDS is lowered by no more than 10% at any one time. You could do 2 such changes per week. So...
Now: TDS 350
WC, new TDS 315
...and so on.
Might take a month or more to drop it as much as you want, and that is OK, the fish need time to adjust.
This is a very conservative method, but I have used it with some pretty delicate fish and they were fine.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Diana.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.