Rams: German vs. Bolivian
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
whatswithgravity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rams: German vs. Bolivian

I'm trying to decide between German Blue and Bolivian and I have a few questions.

1. Is there a difference in activity and swimming level between the two?
2. Does the German sift the sand to feed like the Bolivian likes to?
3. If i get a Bolivian (or either if the German sifts) do I have to leave an open space in the substrate with no carpet or will he just nuzzle between the plants and not disturb them? I'm leaning toward Glosso as carpet but might go HC.
whatswithgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
matt13
Ram Breeder

PTrader: (82/100%)

The Bolivian Rams and German Blue Rams are pretty much the same fish except the German Blue Rams are smaller. The "personality" of the fish depends on where you get the fish from. I keep and breed both Bolivian and German Blue Rams and I have found the German Blue Rams to have a much "better personality". They are smaller and do less rummaging around in plants and tearing the tank apart, however, they will still pick up food of the floor of your tank no matter what the bottom is. In terms of bottom of the tank I have found that it does not matter what it is and the fish do not need too much open space. I hope this answers all your questions and if you have any more please do not hesitate to ask me.
Thanks,
Matt
matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have kept a few differant Bolivian rams and I had blue balloon rams they were my very first cihlid. I love my Bolivian ram. He is very spunky. Always out can be a little nippy he takes not [censored][censored][censored][censored]t from anyone. It's a great fish.

Both are tank raised on farms now so no real need to worry about ph demands unless it's wild caught.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
BS87
Planted Member

I've read that Bolivans tend to be less picky about water parameters as well, but as said above they are both tank raised frequently now so that matters less and less, Personally I just like the coloring on bolivians better (sucker for the red tail highlights)
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
stsalerno
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to stsalerno Send a message via Skype™ to stsalerno

Personally I like the German Rams because they are more colorful than Bolivians. I also don't find German Rams to be as fragile as most people say they are. I've never had an issue keeping them in my tank.
stsalerno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatswithgravity View Post
I'm trying to decide between German Blue and Bolivian and I have a few questions.

3. If i get a Bolivian (or either if the German sifts) do I have to leave an open space in the substrate with no carpet or will he just nuzzle between the plants and not disturb them? I'm leaning toward Glosso as carpet but might go HC.
1. No, individual fish may be slightly different but overall both species will stay around the bottom of the tank spending most of their time looking for food.

2. Both sift sand and pick at food on the substrate. haven't seen that to be an issue with plants though.

3. they will work around the plants, an open space is not required.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, in a fair fight the bolivian will wipe the floor with the German but we all know the germans invade while you have a peace treaty....

Oh wait, my mistake, thought this was a different forum.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #8
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Well, in a fair fight the bolivian will wipe the floor with the German but we all know the germans invade while you have a peace treaty....

Oh wait, my mistake, thought this was a different forum.
Wow. That is hilarious.

Okay, joking aside... Kamikazi answered in the best way possible.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalerno View Post
Personally I like the German Rams because they are more colorful than Bolivians. I also don't find German Rams to be as fragile as most people say they are. I've never had an issue keeping them in my tank.

i also love the color of germans more than the color of bolivians. however i did lose 3 to water i can only assume as harsh water conditions. my 4th GBR i had to give up as he was far to agressive for my tank, and spend his entire day chasing fish, even with three females in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatswithgravity View Post

1. no there is basically no difference as far as species go, however personality will utlimitely dictate this.

2. I can not answer this, i feed twice a day and never saw any of mine searching for food.

3. none of mine messed with my plants, and to be honest unless the fish was being harrassed mine perfered the open mid to top water, but they would spend a decent amount of time hidding in plants.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge
my 29g story
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
JoeGREEEN
Planted Member

IME (from keeping both)

There are some slight differences in physical, fry-caretaking and overall lifespan between em.

1. Bolivian Rams are bigger in size

2. Bolivian Rams live on average more in captivity and in wild (try keeping a GBR for more than 3 years)

3. Bolivians Rams will more readily care for thier fry, and difficult to get a mated pair to raise their babies.

4. this is IMO/IME i'm sure there are more slight diffrences and opinions that go against mine. ok

Last edited by JoeGREEEN; 07-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: typ0s
JoeGREEEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.