Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #61
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

Hello!

Am i reading the measured par charts in the first post of this tread right?

Is 23w cfl vertically mounted in a reflector giving more par than a Hagen Glo 2xT5?

I am setting up an ADA tank with dimensions 75x45x45cm, i do have a Hagen Glo 2x24 T5 that i can use, but when reading the par charts it seems to me that two reflectors (diameter 25cm) with 23W cfl will probably give better par than my Hagen Glo. Maybe also give better spread of the light beacuse the Hagen Glo fixture only have one reflector, both T5 tubes are placed under one reflector.

Do i reading the par chart right?

And when using a cfl with reflector, Does the reflector have to be shining aluminium color or is a white painted reflector ok?

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #62
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Yes, you are reading the charts right. A 23 watt screw-in CFL bulb in a 10.5 inch diameter dome reflector, polished aluminum suface, gives considerably more PAR than the Hagen Glo 2 bulb light. But, the Hagen Glo light covers more area with that light - it would take two of the CFL bulb/reflectors to cover the same area.

I don't know if anyone has measured PAR with those dome reflectors with white painted inside surfaces. I doubt that they would do nearly as good as the aluminum surface reflectors. Aluminum is inherently a very good reflector even if not well polished.

We have had some problems duplicating PAR measurements with CFL bulbs, especially when the bulbs extend slightly beyond the spherical surface of the reflector, so don't rely too much on the charts for them.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #63
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just have a question about the Sunlight Tek lights in the chart Hoppy. You mention that the Tek lights PAR value is 1 bulb calculated....does that refer to this particular unit....have you measured the PAR in this unit in particular? Any thoughts?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl...+4x54W%29.html
Gafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #64
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Yes, you are reading the charts right. A 23 watt screw-in CFL bulb in a 10.5 inch diameter dome reflector, polished aluminum suface, gives considerably more PAR than the Hagen Glo 2 bulb light. But, the Hagen Glo light covers more area with that light - it would take two of the CFL bulb/reflectors to cover the same area.

I don't know if anyone has measured PAR with those dome reflectors with white painted inside surfaces. I doubt that they would do nearly as good as the aluminum surface reflectors. Aluminum is inherently a very good reflector even if not well polished.

We have had some problems duplicating PAR measurements with CFL bulbs, especially when the bulbs extend slightly beyond the spherical surface of the reflector, so don't rely too much on the charts for them.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #65
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Does this mean that cfl bulbs actually is more effective than T5 lightning when used in the right fixtures?

Jnad
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #66
toffee
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnad View Post
Does this mean that cfl bulbs actually is more effective than T5 lightning when used in the right fixtures?

Jnad
Not sure about that but I did use couple of 40w CFL with 10" (or was it 12") round reflectors, on my 180g. Not to light the whole tank but rather as spot light to grow plants right underneath them. Almost too much light, end up with swords almost 30" tall.

I did make the mistake of placing the cfl and reflector too close to the top of acrylic tank. After a few months, the top was slightly deformed.
toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #67
Jjensen187
Algae Grower

I just set up a 14watt 5k CFL with a aluminum dome reflector over my 10g for my plants. Its about 14" from the substrate. I'm trying to grow crypts, java fern, and micro swords. I plan to add dwarf hairgrass in the near future. Should I install another lamp over my tank? I want low-med lighting. Dosing Flourish once a week, and 1ml of API co2 daily.

Im confused because the PAR chart in this thread doesnt match one in another.
Jjensen187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #68
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

This thread supersedes the earlier one, as noted in the first post in that older thread (bold type).

The dome reflectors can't cover a 20 inch long tank with light, so it takes two of them to get good coverage.

It is still up in the air whether the charts for CFL bulbs in those dome reflector are correct. I suspect that they are good, and that we have misused our lux meters in getting later data. This will be worked out eventually.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #69
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafi View Post
Just have a question about the Sunlight Tek lights in the chart Hoppy. You mention that the Tek lights PAR value is 1 bulb calculated....does that refer to this particular unit....have you measured the PAR in this unit in particular? Any thoughts?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/sl...+4x54W%29.html
If i were to hang this fixture about 12 inches off my 90 gallon tAnk....by your estimation hoppy would this be medium light at the substrate and high light at the top of the tank?
Gafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #70
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

If I were to use 1 dual HD DP shop light with 2 6500k bulb on my 75G I would get about just close to 45 PAR hanging my light 25 inch from the bottom? How width will the HD shop light cover(front to back)? Im aiming at Med Light.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #71
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
If I were to use 1 dual HD DP shop light with 2 6500k bulb on my 75G I would get about just close to 45 PAR hanging my light 25 inch from the bottom? How width will the HD shop light cover(front to back)? Im aiming at Med Light.
I think you will get around 45 PAR, but there will be some drop off in PAR near the front and back glass. That tank is about 18 inches front to back, so ideally you would use two lights.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #72
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Thanks hobby,

Has anyone use chrome aluminum paint inside a cheap $10 shop light?
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #73
jdmstop
Algae Grower

Hoppy,

Which model of 24" ray 2 did you use for the par test? Was is the 7000k, 192 led model? So if I mount this on top of my 14" tall tank with a 2-3 inch substrate, I will be getting about 80-95 par?

Thank you for all your efforts into the research!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
jdmstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #74
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

The data for the Finnex lights is from http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #75
Rokuzachi

Just wanted to say that this thread is amazing and thanks for all the data. It's gone a long ways in helping me understand the lighting situation in my tanks and has greatly aided me in finding the correct lighting solutions. Well, correct being what I'm after, which is certainly not where the WPG rule led me when I set the tanks up a while back.

I'm currently putting together a brand new 100g planted setup for my beloved catfish. It should be a much more enjoyable experience with the right lighting
Rokuzachi is offline   Reply With Quote