Lighting for 210
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
jrflanagan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Lighting for 210

Hello everyone,

I'm considering replacing the existing lights on my 210 (co2 injected) with high powered leds. I think I've got it narrowed down, but wanted to get some other opinions.

I'd like something powerful, with good shimmer, that simulates sunrise, sunset, moonlight and lighting storm. I don't have an apex yet, but plan to get one soon.

I'm looking at either buildmyled fixtures (6700k or 10000k)..2 to 3 of them depending on their recommendation.

Or 3 Kessil a360we. I love the minimalistic look and the shimmer, but from what I understand they don't do moonlight so I'd have to come up with an alternative. Does anyone know if they have plans to create a light similar to the a360 with moonlights?

Any thing else I should be considering?

What are everyone's thoughts on these two?

Thanks
jrflanagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
klibs
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You should be fine with a few BML fixtures. I don't think you would need more than 2. They produce a ton of light.

I would get 2 dutch as I think the 10000K is way too cool looking. I run 2x dutch XB on my 75 gallon and they work great.

Also run mine with an Apex. It's pretty hard to beat the Apex dimming the lights, controlling CO2 by pH, and being able to monitor / edit anything from your computer.
klibs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Check my signature link for my thoughts on a powerful LED for a big tank. Lots to choose from these days. I am positive my list isn't comprehensive either.

I'd try to wait for the multichannel BML so you don't have to guess as to whether you will like the color. You are going to have the fixture for several years after all. I was stuck for 6 months with hideous colors and never want that to happen again.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Check my signature link for my thoughts on a powerful LED for a big tank. Lots to choose from these days. I am positive my list isn't comprehensive either.

I'd try to wait for the multichannel BML so you don't have to guess as to whether you will like the color. You are going to have the fixture for several years after all. I was stuck for 6 months with hideous colors and never want that to happen again.
O/T.. nice choices... and nice list..and really nice tank. thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
jrflanagan
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
jrflanagan
Algae Grower

So I went ahead and bought a single kessil to try it out on my tank. I'm a little disappointed. The shimmer is everything that I expected and looks great, but it's not as bright as I had hoped. I think I've been a little spoiled because I've currently got a 250 metal halide/t5 ho combo unit. I've been looking for a new fixture to take advantage of all of the advantages of led (controlability, power consumption, heat, no replacing bulbs) but I've gotten used to a certain brightness. Currently I can only run the halides for an hour or two a day though to control the heat and algae. The pearling I get during those couple hours is intense, but I'm not getting that from the kessil even with the t5ho running at the same time.

Thinking about a single buildmy led in the back of the tank, kessils in front, but even then I still don't think it would be as bright.

How bright do the buildmyleds get?

Any other advice?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default Lighting for 210

I would look into BML. I just put a single bar of regular output over my 6", 22" deep tank and have more than enough intensity. 2 xb (their high-output model) would be MORE than you would need. Talk to Cara over there and she could point you in the right direction.
rballi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
kilauea91
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Have you considered Ecotech XR15 Freshwater? Put 3 of them over your tank along with their reeflink box should give you strong enough lights and all the software/features you desired.
kilauea91 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
jrflanagan
Algae Grower

Not really, I looked at them briefly, but not much. A lot of the stuff I've seen is on smaller tanks. What is the light penetration like in a 29" tank?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

You might ask ReluctantHippy if he has had a chance to use his Hoppy meter on one as he thought he might be able to from his post here.

I am sure it would work fine. It is a completely different class from the lower priced ones that work so well on smaller tanks.

Sad that LED companies expect consumers to buy their stuff without key data! Kudos to BML for providing all that.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #11
kilauea91
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

XR15FW comes with the wide angle(120deg) TIR lens. You may need to buy the optional 80deg TIR for deeper penetration, but then 3 could just barely provide full coverage in your tank

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion-tir-lenses
kilauea91 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
klibs
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I legit run my 2x BML Dutch XB at <30% because the light is so intense. After it fills in I will bump it up but they are extremely powerful. I would recommend the fixtures to anyone - very satisfied with them.
klibs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
jimbo662
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflanagan View Post
So I went ahead and bought a single kessil to try it out on my tank. I'm a little disappointed. The shimmer is everything that I expected and looks great, but it's not as bright as I had hoped. I think I've been a little spoiled because I've currently got a 250 metal halide/t5 ho combo unit. I've been looking for a new fixture to take advantage of all of the advantages of led (controlability, power consumption, heat, no replacing bulbs) but I've gotten used to a certain brightness. Currently I can only run the halides for an hour or two a day though to control the heat and algae. The pearling I get during those couple hours is intense, but I'm not getting that from the kessil even with the t5ho running at the same time.

Thinking about a single buildmy led in the back of the tank, kessils in front, but even then I still don't think it would be as bright.

How bright do the buildmyleds get?

Any other advice?
Which kessil did you buy? the A360WE is for reef tanks and I doubt it's got what's needed for plants. They do have a version for plants. They also only cover about a 2ft sq area.
jimbo662 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
jrflanagan
Algae Grower

They have a freshwater (tuna sun) and saltwater (tuna blue) of the a360we. I got the tuna sun.

Klibs good to know about the bml. How deep is your tank?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.