LED lighting help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old Yesterday, 12:43 AM   #1
BADFISHY
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

LED lighting help

Hi folks. I'm sure this lighting stuff gets monotonous so I'll try and make it interesting. I have a Marineland 125g that is 72" long, and intend to try my hand at a planted discus tank. The canopy space is limited in height...a minor oversight when I built it. The front folds up, so I cannot hang lights towards the front. My plan is for a medium light tank that at some point I may or may NOT wish to ad c02. I do want a heavily planted tank and will be using some slate mounted driftwood.

So here's my questions. First...how does everyone feel about the Marineland advanced LED lights for planted tanks? I don't think I can fit two 36'' across. They would have to be staggered. Also, I've read mixed reviews about the longevity of these fixtures, and they are very pricey. I do however like the built moonlight LED's and timer, although accessing the timer might be difficult and I will need a battery back up because I don't want to reprogram every time the power goes out here in Florida. Should I opt for a different set up altogether? Maybe Current SAT's in some arrangement? Or bite the less efficiency bullet and go with PC or Ah supply kits? Any help or info or suggestions is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime 1 1255.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	512825  

BADFISHY is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #2
DaveK
Wannabe Guru

The fixture your looking at is not very good. On the manufacturers own web page they state "Advanced LED Strip Lights are ideal for freshwater or saltwater aquariums and low intensity plants. " See the whole thing here (offsite) - http://www.marineland.com/Products/a...rip-Light.aspx Note also that they do not specify the number, type and size of LEDs used.

The Marineland fixture is among the least expensive LED fixtures you can get. If that price scares you, your better off looking at T5 or other lighting for your tank.

The Current Satellite fixture is a lot better, but it costs a lot more. I would say that it's got a chance of working for you.

This is a case where you might want to just get rid of the canopy and mount the lights over the tank. I think you'll find it a lot easier to work on the tank.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 02:02 AM   #3
BADFISHY
Algae Grower

TY for the input Dave. I think you are looking at the base advanced Marineland LED. They also make one for planted tanks and another for salt. The planted fixtures are more than the Current SAT fixtures by about twenty dollars on fosters and smith site. My fear is their quality of Marineland products beyond their actual tanks. To many emperor filters in the trash.

I'm not a huge fan of open tops at least from an aesthetic point of view.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

http://www.buildmyled.com/dutch-planted-6300k
That one would be best.
And these are more cost friendly.
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...ls-p/56579.htm
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...ef-p/56549.htm
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...en-p/56369.htm
There is someone on here who may be able to give you an approximate PAR level of those last three fixtures. The first link has the PAR on the site.
Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM   #5
BADFISHY
Algae Grower

I was just having a look at the BML site Raymond. I'm not confident to actually choose what LED's for a plant tank and I'm thinking about ordering one of their premade fixtures. Should I bother with a controller or just go with an on/off timer. Any ideas on what LED's to choose if I did decide to customize?
Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM   #6
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Just do the Dutch style of premade. They have a video on each type of light color as you clic on each. The page you get has a video on an icon on it.
Then look at the "Natural style 6500K" which is all white bulbs. Look at that video and
then go to the "Dutch Planted 6300K" video. It shows just a bit more red color.
Those custom models are something which can be messed up real easy by using too much of something. Too high of cost to have a light you don't like the color of.
To me a dimmer would be the most important option to have. There is a PAR rating on each page down farther. It says the Dutch has 60 PAR @ 24" so you need a dimmer.
I run 50 PAR because I like some GSA on my rocks/walls, but not the plants. Took me
three years to hit it right using available regular fluorescent bulbs.
Mostly saying you will want lower PAR than that.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #7
BADFISHY
Algae Grower

Thanks again Ray. I'm looking at a sixty inch 6300k coupled to their controller and I'll plug the light into a timer with battery back up.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #8
BADFISHY
Algae Grower

Goin to go with the vho model since i can dim it anyways.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM   #9
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADFISHY View Post
Thanks again Ray. I'm looking at a sixty inch 6300k coupled to their controller and I'll plug the light into a timer with battery back up.
Are you referring to a battery backup for the lights or just the controller?

Some controllers have a built in backup battery just for them. Keeps the real time clock on time..
Old Today, 11:02 AM   #10
BADFISHY
Algae Grower

This one apparently doesn't. Saves programs, but not time. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.