Hooking up cheap peristaltic pump doser
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
JeffE
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hooking up cheap peristaltic pump doser

Hey guys I'm looking to build a cheap easy dosing pump that will run on A/C power using a digital 1 minute timer.
Amazon.com: 12V DC DIY Dosing pump Peristaltic dosing Head For Aquarium Lab Analytic: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: 12V DC DIY Dosing pump Peristaltic dosing Head For Aquarium Lab Analytic: Pet Supplies

What type of power supply could I use to convert from A/C to D/C so I can plug it into the timer? I would then figure out how much the pump flows in say 1 minute and setup my fertilizer concentration to be the correct amount.

Thanks, Jeff
JeffE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

A regular 120V AC to 12V DC adapter should do. The pump only looks like it uses 80 mA, so a relatively cheap adapter would probably suffice if you only want to run one pump.

Then it's just cutting off and soldering the wires from the adapter to the pump

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
Greystoke
Planted Member

My timer has an isolated make/break contact, which allows me to switch a different supply voltage.
Are you sure yours is not separated, like mine?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Use a PWM servo driver to control this. There's a thread of this on the DIY forum somewhere.

Chances are you don't want it to run too fast by providing 12V to it. THe PWM will slow it down to a few drops of ferts.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Use a PWM servo driver to control this. There's a thread of this on the DIY forum somewhere.

Chances are you don't want it to run too fast by providing 12V to it. THe PWM will slow it down to a few drops of ferts.
I think in order for a motor to use PWM it'll have three pins?

this 12v peristaltic pump only has two. But you can easily supply it with less than 12v of power and it'll just turn slower.

I was messing with one this morning and decided to give it 6v instead of 12v for a more manageable speed. I'm thinking i'll just connect it to the same 5v that the Pi and relay are using if 12v ends up as too fast to accurately get 15mL of fert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post
Hey guys I'm looking to build a cheap easy dosing pump that will run on A/C power using a digital 1 minute timer.
Amazon.com: 12V DC DIY Dosing pump Peristaltic dosing Head For Aquarium Lab Analytic: Pet Supplies

What type of power supply could I use to convert from A/C to D/C so I can plug it into the timer? I would then figure out how much the pump flows in say 1 minute and setup my fertilizer concentration to be the correct amount.

Thanks, Jeff
the flow rate is saying 0-100 mL/min, so i'm assuming full 12v is going to give you 100mL, which is not something you want to dose every day since you'll end up mixing once a week to support that.

give it 3v and see if it'll turn. if it works you should get 25mL over a minute. Personally, i'm looking to control mine to run for a few seconds at 12v or 5v depending on whether or not 12v is just too fast
Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I think in order for a motor to use PWM it'll have three pins?

this 12v peristaltic pump only has two. But you can easily supply it with less than 12v of power and it'll just turn slower.

I was messing with one this morning and decided to give it 6v instead of 12v for a more manageable speed. I'm thinking i'll just connect it to the same 5v that the Pi and relay are using if 12v ends up as too fast to accurately get 15mL of fert.
THis will work.

Amazon.com: DROK PWM 12V-40V DC Electric Pump/Motor Speed Controller Stepless 10% -100% 10A: Electronics Amazon.com: DROK PWM 12V-40V DC Electric Pump/Motor Speed Controller Stepless 10% -100% 10A: Electronics

Plug in the 12V +,- leads and +,- from the pump and pow, up and running. Control the speed with the knob.

If you give a pump too low a voltage, it might not start because of torque. The PWM is a solution. I've been through it.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

yeah, i kinda figured 3v wouldn't be enough. 6v works well, i'm sure my 5v will as well. I've personally no interest in PWM for my pumps because I can control it to the millisecond if I wanted to. but that is a great option for folks who are just looking to plug and play their motor and power source
Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

yup, most people use a mechanical timers so the ability to control flow is important.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 AM   #9
JeffE
Algae Grower

I was planning on using 2 pumps, 1 micro one macro sent into opposite sides of the sump. Will the DROK Mistergreen posted still work for this purpose? If so it looks like what I want. If this works then a 40-50$ dosing pump is in my future!
JeffE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #10
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

For 2 pumps, you'll need 2 12v power adaptor sand 2 of the pwm controllers. One for each pumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-05-2014, 04:20 AM   #11
nayr
Algae Grower

you use a solid state relay between the pump and a PWM controller, it cycles really fast and you can control the frequency of this cycling; effectively controlling the pump rate.

I made one for a IR toaster oven to slowly ramp up the temps to solder a whole circuit board in one go; would work fine with a pump..
I Used code from http://www.ospid.com