Oceanic Biocube 14g Iwaguim Shrimp Tank - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #76
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Thank guys. Much appreciated!

I have an issue and I need some insight...

Today I did a 3.5 gallon water change and 3 Zebra Danios died. I tested the water a few days ago and all my parameters were good. I treated the water going into the tank and matched temperatures too. I can't seem to figure out what changed so much to kill Debra Danios. I'm wondering what was so hard on them to make them die.. I mean Debra Danios are a hearty fish. My drop checker was blue at the time of the w/c. I did however add the new water rather quickly with no circulation but my tank doesn't allow for circulation during w/c because the return pump makes bad sounds when it sucks in air.

Any ideas so I don't make this mistake again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
I would add a little KNO3 and KH2PO4 to the tank. Not as much as EI dosing wants, but enough to get the HC transitioned, then slowly add more as the plant density becomes heavier.

I am almost 100% sure the DSM didn't go quicker for you because you weren't using a soil substrate like Organic Miracle Grow or AquaSoil.
I completely agree with you on the soil substrate comment. What a drag... Only if I would have known ahead of time. Oh well, I'll never make that mistake again! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryboat View Post
looking good Tyler. HC definitely showing more growth and getting thicker. Will 3-5 hrs photo period be sufficient for first 2 weeks?
I've been doing 5 hours this past week and the HC seems to be doing GREAT. In a few days I will up the photo period to 7 hours adding some ferts.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #77
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I lost another fish today. I'm thinking part of the problem is the flow is to high. I need to either get an adjustable pump or put a slit in the return tube to reduce the flow...
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #78
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is what I used to reduce flow in my biocube. I just cut a small piece & placed it over the outlet of the filter then used a small rubber band to secure it. This choked it down a good amount & prevents my plants from swaying.

http://www.amazon.com/Como-Economic-...quarium+sponge
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #79
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I have done quite a few things since I last update. I will get right into it.

The flow on the bio cubes are just to strong for tetras and in addition to that the slits in the back leading the water to the filter are too big for tetras as well. They keep getting stuck in the filter through these slits.

I installed a plastic ballcock valve on the tube leading the to return in the third chamber. I apologize because I do not have any pictures; however, it worked out fabulous. I have solved my flow problem and took it once step further. I gave myself complete control over the flow with this new ballcock valve which seems to be holding up nicely.

I have not figured out a way to ascetically block the slits leading into the first chamber filter. I am thinking about using black plastic screen but I need to fasten it somehow and I can't get my hand to fit down the first chamber to block the lower set of slits. I will come up with something. If you have any ideas please let me know. Jamming a black sponge down there isn't going to cut it, but I might have to resort to that solution. We will see...

I added 3 otto's and oh my god. I love otto's now! They clean everything and I love it. I also, and increased my photo period to 9 hours and I am dosing SeaChem Flourish line of fertilizers as I am in my 4th week after filling.

Consequently, I have hair algae growing in the Christmas Moss. I have pulled some of it out with a tooth brush and I am hoping the Christmas Moss will out compete the moss eventually. I just recently added a 2 orders of 2x2" of Christmas Moss to the tree purchased from Aquadic Magic which arrived brown. I added it anyway in hope it would revive itself. Further more, my HC is not as lush as I would like it to be and I hope it improves over time.

Stay tuned... but in the mean time here are some photo's for your pleasure. Thank you so much for looking and please do comment. I appreciate and encourage any type of comment/suggestions/criticisms as this is a learning process for me.

>Tank Shot
Attachment 54960

>HC
Attachment 54961

>Christmas Moss Taking Hold
Attachment 54962

>Otto's
Attachment 54963

Last edited by tylergvolk; 11-28-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #80
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Everything in this tank is doing very well. Currently, I have the following Fauna in this tank:

2 Platy's
8 Red Cherry Shrimp
2 Otto's

-The tree is coming in nicely however I am still battling the hair algae.

-The HC carpet is PERFECT, just how I envisioned it to be before I started.

-The Dwarf Sag is thriving nicely as well.

I get plenty of compliments on this tank and I am very pleased with the outcome. The HC has been doing so well, I have been transferring chunks of HC from this tank into another. The HC just fills in the bare spots within a few weeks. I "mowed the lawn" yesterday too, just to trimm things back a bit.

The biggest problem I have with this tank came when I started dosing ferts. I guess I am a noob when it comes to ferts, and apparently I am dosing to many because I keep getting algae blooms. My otto's love it but unfortunately, I am going to have to figure out a new ferts dosing method. Maybe I will just stop dosing all together and see how things will react...
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #81
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

That tank is very cool. Thanks for the updates. I enjoy reading them.
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #82
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
That tank is very cool. Thanks for the updates. I enjoy reading them.
Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoy them. I'll be sure to get some more picture up when I can. Stay tuned.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #83
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

The hair algae is getting out of control in this tank. I've seen it start to grow on the HC now. The light it just too intense on top of that tree and there is no way to suspend the light. I've reduced the photo period to 7 hours in hopes to see some results but it's doubtful. I've also stopped dosing all together and am doing 5 gallon water changes weekly.

I'm thinking about taking the Moss tree out all together and replace it with some type of steam plant. Something with a BOLD color like red or pink. Yeah, maybe I will re-scape that back corner somehow.

What do you think? Any ideas?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #84
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

I had the same problem with my 75 gallon and Hoppy recommended placing insect screening to cover the light intensity by 40% , i tried it and its working very well :-)

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #85
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
I had the same problem with my 75 gallon and Hoppy recommended placing insect screening to cover the light intensity by 40% , i tried it and its working very well :-)
I read that somewhere awhile back. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I should try that. Hmmm, awesome.

If I decide not to, then I will just dip the tree in some type of algae killing solution and cross my fingers.

I havent really decided what to do yet. This tank is an HC producing machine though. I love it!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #86
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Default Major Changes (Moss Tree Removed)

The following are the steps I took in this tank revamp:

1) Removed Moss Tree Completely
2) Removed Moss From Tree
3) Dipped Moss In H202 Solution For 10MIN. (Strong)
4) Rinsed Well
5) Chopped Moss Into Tiny Pieces
6) Created A Moss Wall For Another Tank

As more the hair Algae that has found it's way into the HC, I am doing a 3 day black out. I have the tank covered completely, and absolutely no light can get inside. I turned the Co2 off. I hope to see the Hair Algae gone or at least stunted in 3 days.

I have a new plant coming in the mail this week. Once received, I will re-scape the back right corner of this tank. Stay Tuned!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #87
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I've re-scaped this tank. Pictures coming soon!

I got a nice piece of petrified wood with some rotala Colorata in there now.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #88
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Hello Everyone and thank you to those who have been watching my thread.

I have made a few changes to this tank to compensate for the light intensity.

1) I put screen over the light to reduce the intensity.

2) I removed the moss tree and added a rock and some rotala.

Next, I plant to start dosing dry fertilizers, EI. I haven't decided on the final plan yet as I am still educating myself on how I should go about using fertilizers.

I do STILL have some algae in this tank in the following places:

1) Hair Algae in the HC from the moss tree. I did a 3 day black out but that didn't work. I may try it again in the future.

2) Green Dust Algae (GDA) on the glass and you can see the accumulation on black background. (Wondering how I should get ride of this algae? I have a guide that says I need to wait out life cycle, remove + W/C.

Finally as promised, here are some picture taken today!

>Tank Picture

> Side Picture

>Side Picture

> Newly Added Rotala Colorata & Petrfied Wood

>Close up of Rotala Colorata (Wondering why it is rooting to high?...

>Close up of petrified wood

>HC
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #89
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

To keep things simple for me, as this is my first time dosing dry fertilizers, I am going to EI dry dose KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B.

Tank water volume is about 10 gallons...

My weekly dosing regime:

Monday:
1/8 Tsp-KN03
1/32 Tsp-KH2P04

Tuesday:
1/32 Tsp-CSM+B

Wednesday:
1/8 Tsp-KN03
1/32 Tsp-KH2P04

Thursday:
1/32 Tsp-CSM+B

Friday:
1/8 Tsp-KN03
1/32 Tsp-KH2P04

Saturday:
1/32 Tsp-CSM+B

Sunday:
50% Water Change

These are my target ranges:

CO2 range 25-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
KH range 3-5

However, I only plan on monitoring C02 & N03. I'm hoping the 50% water changes will reset my ranges preventing buildup on nutrients over time.

If anyone sees any issue with this, please let me know so I can learn and adjust my dosage.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #90
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

This morning I created a EI Dry Dosing Log to help me balance my tank. I sometimes have a hard time remembering things and this tool will aid me in finding the balance between lights, co2, and fertilizers. Interested? Take a look...

Attachment 57874

I couldn't find anything like it online although I'm sure there are tools similar. I also couldn't upload the Excel file extension so I had to make it .PDF for demonstration purposes. If you would like a copy to use I am more than happy to send you one. You can change all the variables to fit your specific aquarium and keep a log.

My dry fertilizers are coming in the mail today or tomorrow. I will start dosing next week. I think this log will help me stay on track...

Last edited by tylergvolk; 05-21-2013 at 11:55 PM..