Oceanic Biocube 14g Iwaguim Shrimp Tank - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #31
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 993
Default

You might just want to buy some dry powder ferts from GLA or somewhere. It should be much cheaper than what you have... The leaf zone stuff, I have no personal experience with, but I know it's more for non high tech tanks.
__________________
aweeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #32
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Overgrowth's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
You might just want to buy some dry powder ferts from GLA or somewhere. It should be much cheaper than what you have... The leaf zone stuff, I have no personal experience with, but I know it's more for non high tech tanks.
Yeah, all it has is iron and potassium, but it's good in conjunction with flourish comp. Put around 5 mL in a bottle and spray everyday.
__________________
36 Angel Bowfront

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #33
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
You might just want to buy some dry powder ferts from GLA or somewhere. It should be much cheaper than what you have... The leaf zone stuff, I have no personal experience with, but I know it's more for non high tech tanks.
Please forgive me but what does GLA stand for?

Again, how much is safe to use? What concentration should I mix if I take this route?
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #34
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
Yeah, all it has is iron and potassium, but it's good in conjunction with flourish comp. Put around 5 mL in a bottle and spray everyday.
Are you saying put 5ml of what I already got in a spray bottle and add water? Or do you mean wait for the excel?

I'm apologize for being picky. I just do want to mess this up. I want to use safe concentrations of fertilizers.

The leaf zone recommends 5ml for 10g weekly and the co2 booter recommends 1ml 10g daily.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #35
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 993
Default

gla= green leaf aquariums, an online store

alternatively, here are some other places to buy.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html
nilocg used to sell bulk fertilizers at a cheaper price than the above two, not sure what's happening now though.

can't help you on the dry dosing though, sorry.
__________________
aweeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
gla= green leaf aquariums, an online store

alternatively, here are some other places to buy.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html
nilocg used to sell bulk fertilizers at a cheaper price than the above two, not sure what's happening now though.

can't help you on the dry dosing though, sorry.
I think that in the long run the dry fertilizers will save me money, but for now and for being somewhat new to the hobby, I am going to stick with the oh so popular SeaChem Flourish line of fertilizers.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Overgrowth's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
Are you saying put 5ml of what I already got in a spray bottle and add water? Or do you mean wait for the excel?

I'm apologize for being picky. I just do want to mess this up. I want to use safe concentrations of fertilizers.

The leaf zone recommends 5ml for 10g weekly and the co2 booter recommends 1ml 10g daily.
I use another version of leaf zone, same ingredients. It recommends 5 mL for 10G but I think that the plants would use the nutrients up before the week is over so I put the 5mL in the spray bottle and spray 5 times a week, once a day. Of course the seachem line is way better than leaf zone but it's better than nothing for now.
__________________
36 Angel Bowfront

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #38
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

I decided to mix 3ml of leaf zone and 1 ml of Co2 booster in a 1 gallon bottle. I took out maybe 2oz of water from the tank and replaced it with the new water with ferts. I also filled a spray bottle with the new water with ferts.

When my shipment of SeaChem comes in I will switch over. I hope this works out well...
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #39
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default Problem:

I took some pictures today. I figured they could help with the diagnosis.

The problem: HC is yellowing 3 weeks in my DSM & some of it has browned and shriveled away.

Picture time!

Attachment 52244 Attachment 52245

Attachment 52246 Attachment 52247

Attachment 52248 Attachment 52249

Attachment 52250 Attachment 52251

Attachment 52252

It's weird because some spots are doing well and other are not. Today I added some ferts as stated in a previous post.

I suppose I just need to be more patient...

I will wait 1 weeks and reassess.

Last edited by tylergvolk; 11-28-2012 at 02:16 PM..
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #40
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

Hello everyone!

I was just sitting around this Sunday evening with some extra time on my hands and I thought I would stop in and share some of my thoughts about how my DSM with HC is going.

This is a true test to my patience and needless to say this is my first time attempting a DSM. The challange is not to second guess yourself and trust the simplicity of the method. AKA don't tamper to much with the tank and just let things work themselves out. If you look back a post, you will see picture of my HC turning yellow and bits of it browning. After taking comments and suggestions, I believe that its the transition from submersed to emmersed. I thought for a second that it was from a lack of nutrients, but I just don't think so. I did put some ferts in yesterday but today I took that water out via chicken baster and added fresh tap back in. This comming Wednesday will be the one month mark; however, I am in no hurry. I rather have a timely success then a quick failure.

On another note, I have my DIY Paintball CO2 System ready to go. I have never used this thing before. I am really excited to figure out how to dial it in and get the right balance with my light, ferts, and CO2.

Speaking of fertilizers, I ordered SeaChem Flourish 4 pack of fertilizers however, as I understand it the dry ferts are a cheaper way to go. I think for now I will stick to the ever so popular SeaChem. As my tank matures, I can always switch over in the future.

I have these Manzanita branches too for my moss tree. Although my main goal for this tank is simple. Learn to successfully grow a thick & healthy bed of HC, I want to try the tree moss idea.

Oh wow, they just announced the reunion of the spice girls! lol

Before I flood which is over a month and a half away at least, I need to research a couple things in order to minimize algae:

  • How much ferts to dose (EI).
  • How to dial in the Paintball CO2 system


I find this hobby to be amazingly interesting. I find myself wanting to learn more and more about the specifics to create a beautiful healthy tank.

Anyways, that's all for now. Thanks for reading.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #41
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

I just got off the phone with Doctors Foster and Smith's customer service.

I recently placed an order for SeaChem Flourish 4 pack including: Flourish, Excel, Nitrogen, and Iron.

The Flourish and Excel seals were open upon receiving shipment and kinda made a mess inside the box. No much had leached out but enough for me to call there customer service which was written right on the receipt.

I was real nice to them and they were very nice to me. I was impressed with their customer service. They said they would send me another shipment immediately and in addition to that I get to keep the shipment have currently have.

In conclusion, I highly recommend the company Doctors Foster and Smith.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #42
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default 8/15/12: Week 4 Complete!

I have finally hit the 1 month mark. I was expecting this stuff to take off but so far I'm not impressed. It just doesn't seem to be doing very well. I wonder if it will do better when the tank is filled and I pump Co2 with Flourish and Excel?

I'm still going to give this dry start another month AT LEAST, but if things get worse I might have to fill early. I hope things will improve. I haven't seen any improvement since last weekend. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks.

> 1 MONTH
Attachment 52415

Last edited by tylergvolk; 11-28-2012 at 02:16 PM..
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #43
Capsaicin_MFK
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Capsaicin_MFK's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 767
Default

Do you see any blue-green algae starting to create a film on the substrate? If yes, then that could be a factor in the slow growth rate.

Don't worry so much about humidity. Open the saran wrap at least once per day and get new air into the aquarium, but make sure to mist. Also beware of creating puddles of water in the substrate as this can lead to algae. There are mixed results from adding ferts to the spray bottle. I had only negative results, so I just used tap water.
__________________
Capsaicin_MFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #44
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
Do you see any blue-green algae starting to create a film on the substrate? If yes, then that could be a factor in the slow growth rate.

Don't worry so much about humidity. Open the saran wrap at least once per day and get new air into the aquarium, but make sure to mist. Also beware of creating puddles of water in the substrate as this can lead to algae. There are mixed results from adding ferts to the spray bottle. I had only negative results, so I just used tap water.
I do not see any blue-gree algae anywhere and I'm glad. NO ALGAE! I've been keeping it sealed for about 2-4 days at a time. Maybe I'll switch to opening the seal for an hour each day and misting tap.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #45
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
I just got off the phone with Doctors Foster and Smith's customer service.

I recently placed an order for SeaChem Flourish 4 pack including: Flourish, Excel, Nitrogen, and Iron.

The Flourish and Excel seals were open upon receiving shipment and kinda made a mess inside the box. No much had leached out but enough for me to call there customer service which was written right on the receipt.

I was real nice to them and they were very nice to me. I was impressed with their customer service. They said they would send me another shipment immediately and in addition to that I get to keep the shipment have currently have.

In conclusion, I highly recommend the company Doctors Foster and Smith.
The second shipment came in today; however, the flourish cap was loose and got all over the package. They are sending me another bottle of flourish only this time.

>Two 4-Packs of SeaChem + Another Flourish 250ml in the mail
Attachment 52474
All for the price of one!

Last edited by tylergvolk; 11-28-2012 at 02:16 PM..
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012