If stacking rocks, do you silicone them together?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

If stacking rocks, do you silicone them together?

have some slate-type rocks, was going to stack some of them. Do you silicone yours together to make a structure, or leave them as a stack?
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
smelly

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default staking rocks

I will be siliconing mine.
smelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
seandelevan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

What if you want to rearrange these rocks in the future?
seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I rarely stack the rocks as they will not look natural. I do a pile which gives many more sizes and shape of hiding spots. Either way, I would not want to attach them so that I could not move them to clean under them now and then.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
WallaceGrover
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've usually seen silicone or epoxy suggested so it makes the structure more stable...
WallaceGrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Matthew_Machine
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

The aesthetics of stacking aside, i'd recommend putting just a bit on there. The last thing i'd want for my tank is a stack tipping over and cracking my tank, or putting livestock at risk. IME, you can easily peel things apart with just a lil bit of silicone.
Matthew_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

If you stack it well from the bottom glass you'll be fine. If you can rock it, or move it around you haven't stacked them well enough.

No silicone, stacked off the glass. About 150 pounds or so of slate:

jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Silicone peeled off the one time I did that, so I stack it the way it will hold itself up. The more casual, almost random pile looks good.
If I want a more formal effect, like a retaining wall I use expanding foam filler. Not so much to glue the rocks together but to fill between so the substrate stays on the uphill side.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Silicone is a poor choice if the goal is to attach rocks to each other. Silicone simply peels right off of rocks.

I agree most with the advise to stack the rocks so they are solid and so not wobble.

However, if you feel a need to attach rocks together, waterfall foam works very well. It will grab onto the rock and hold it strong; plus, it's meant to be used in water with fish so it's very safe. I've used it to "glue" on a rock as a base to another rock to add height when a rock was the perfect color, shape, and size, but too short for my needs. Attaching a flat rock to it as a base lifted the rock to the perfect height. Years after being in the tank, the rocks are still attached.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...waterfall+foam
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have done aquarium silicone before. I did not have any problems. I did not want any piece to shift once placed in the tank due to tank maintenance or from aggressive fish activity. I also have fairly smaller pieces that wouldn't work well stacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Silicone peeled off the one time I did that, so I stack it the way it will hold itself up. The more casual, almost random pile looks good.
If I want a more formal effect, like a retaining wall I use expanding foam filler. Not so much to glue the rocks together but to fill between so the substrate stays on the uphill side.
The expanding foam you mention, is this like the Great Stuff brand that you can buy at like Home Depot? If so I might have to try that one day. Wouldn't have thought it was aquarium safe. I plan to setup multiple tanks with 2-3 different substrate levels and I can hold back alot with foam.
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.