Angel Fish Egg Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
EntoCraig
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Angel Fish Egg Questions

So I have 2 pairs of angels fish in my 4 foot tank. Both have spawned every 2 weeks for the past 6 months or so. To this day, the eggs never seem to be fertile. The eggs always turn white after a few hours. I have tried removing the last 2 batches and artificially hatching them in a chamber with flowing water and methelyne blue, but again, the eggs turned white.

Any thoughts?
EntoCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Water hardness? With 4 I ruled out false spawning females because of the regularity.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

My first thought was a group of females also. I can believe there are no males in the group even though the odds are long. I have truly hard water and angels have no trouble. Females will lay eggs even with no males in the tank.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
PlantedVirgin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

A suggestion would be to try and find a proven male and separate them and see what happens. Or you could go the extra mile and get the TDS to about 100 and PH in the 6.5 range.
PlantedVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Waterrat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Unless you're water is as hard as a rock, that may not be the problem. It's very unusual to have absolutely none of the eggs be fertile (due to water hardness). Without insulting your fish-keeping abilities, have you ever actually watched them spawn? As was already pointed out, females will often spontaneously spawn, even without a male in the tank. The females ovipositor is very short, wide and blunt, while the males sex organ is a bit longer, very narrow, and pointed. If you are absolutely sure you have a male and female, and both are participating in the spawning process, and none of the eggs are fertile, I would check your water hardness first. If hardness is not the issue, then it's possible that your male is infertile.
Waterrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

could water temp have anything to do with it. I know sometimes cold water changes can encourage spawing. maybe the male(s) are being thrown off by that. I dunno though I'm no expert is breeding.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

haha the males on the forum might want to think they are a bit longer.
Water quality can be a factor even with domestics. TDS and calcium both factor but admit not knowing the cut off threshold.
Prior to my switching to RO use spawn rates were much lower and mortality rates were higher. I fault parameters 1st (my inputs), fish 2nd.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

I have a pair in my 29 they spawn every 3-5 weeks. Raise the babies to free swimming then eat them or let the other fish eat them (I have yet to witness either) Then about a week after the fry disappear they spawn again. So the cycle continues and I have to time inside tank maintenance with their downtime because they are vicious when they have eggs, wigglers and fry.

My water is very soft and starts at 7 but goes down to 6's within a week. temp i think is about 78 last I checked, its just below the top of the green on the glass thermometer. I haven't tested for anything else in ages, so I cant say anything else about water quality.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote