Endlers, RCS and Rummy Nose - questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Endlers, RCS and Rummy Nose - questions

doing a 36 gallon community tank, all little guys & shrimp, planted

1. Endlers & shrimp - If I have endlers & shrimp and lots of plants I assume I will eventually have a LOT of endlers & shrimp. When the population gets very large, can I add a pair of Blue Rams , or amybe a single betta? Would that balance out the population or would they just make the shrimp hide/go extinct and no more endler fry making it to adulthood?
Better to avoid any predation and give away the extras?

2. Rummy nose - was watching a good size tank of them in a LFS and love these guys, cool markings, very active. Read that they are hard to breed and always wild caught, does this make them a bad thing and should be avoided? (Disease, stress, short life, etc)

Thanks!
JB
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

1) This might work well, but there are differences in behavior among those "predators". You might get a pair of blue rams that hunts every shrimp mercilessly to extinction. Or you might get a Betta that is only interested in flakes. Still, there is a good chance that will work, as planted tanks always provide lots of places to hide.

2) It mainly means that if you are trying to breed them, you will need some special water. If you get some that have been kept in similar water to what you will have, there is a good chance that you can keep them just fine. The water in my tanks is rather hard, but I am keeping Cardinals, Glolights, Black Neons, Harlequins, Pencils and such "soft water fish" with no problems. They just won't breed or eggs won't hatch.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

1) gotcha

2) mostly i was concerned about wild caught, crazy trip to my LFS to buy them. Fish that can be breed in captivity I figured on buying in the swap room, and would feel a lot more comfortable about health and disease. Or am I being to cautious?
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.