Blackwater tanks - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #16
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworker View Post
Me gusta... I regret plants in my current 50 gal now :x

I originally wanted to make amazon bio but wound up with Asian plants but fauna is amazon based.. could always remove although would be waste of eco-complete :/

Orchidman love that scape ya got, how large is that tank btw
thanks!! its a standard 29g. those arent even good photos. i have some better photos in my journal. the ones i used for AGA. the judges said it was too dark (photo wise) but it looks fine on my computer, so you may not be able to see it well.
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #17
Kworker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks like a plan for my 29 gal that all fauna except kuhli loaches will be removed.. southeast Asian Blackwater biotope to come
Kworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #18
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

coool
Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

here is the official studio photo of my tank. i just lightened it a bit, because the AGA judges recommended that

DSC_0090-2 by orchidman10, on Flickr

i just realized how much i miss this scape!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Kworker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks beautiful, where did you get the wood for the tank? I found nice pieces of like maple/oak branches in my area but unsure how I should treat them. What did you use for tannins? I know dw could do the trick but heard peat moss/leaf litter even tea-bags..

Sorry if op thinks I'm thread jacking but I actually think you might be interested in knowing as well
Kworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Looks beautiful, where did you get the wood for the tank? I found nice pieces of like maple/oak branches in my area but unsure how I should treat them. What did you use for tannins? I know dw could do the trick but heard peat moss/leaf litter even tea-bags..

Sorry if op thinks I'm thread jacking but I actually think you might be interested in knowing as well
thanks!

i found the wood in a local creek. i brought it home and soaked it. then soaked it with bleach. then soaked it again. then let it dry out. them soaked it until it didnt float. for tannins i used wood and dried oak leaf litter.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
here is the official studio photo of my tank. i just lightened it a bit, because the AGA judges recommended that

DSC_0090-2 by orchidman10, on Flickr

i just realized how much i miss this scape!
Looks awesome
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #23
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Nah this good, keep the thread up in the top maybe we will get more pictures out of people.

The wood I will be using is oak I will also be using oak leaves.

I removed as much of the bark as I could with knife. Then poured boiling water over them several times. Then I placed them in the oven on the Warmer setting (170 degrees) for about 5-10 mins. Last time I used a branch I didn't bother with boiling water or the over, just removed the bark and scrubbed it with hot water.

To get the tannins in my tank, because it will be planted i will have miracle gro organic choice potting mix which will release a ton of tannins. Then I will also have the Oak drift wood and oak leaves.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have just started cycling a large angelfish tank with new driftwood and the water is quite tannin stained. Pics coming soon. I too love the backwater look although I plan on heavily planting with greenery.

Love those hatchets orchidman!
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I have just started cycling a large angelfish tank with new driftwood and the water is quite tannin stained. Pics coming soon. I too love the backwater look although I plan on heavily planting with greenery.

Love those hatchets orchidman!
i love angels! when i get a large tank, ill be doing a biotope for altums!!

thanks! i only have 2 left. the rest died or jumped out, even though i have a full hood on the tank!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #26
PlantedRookie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
I'd says yours is just as nice, i don't see why it wouldn't be. They're just different styles and they're both great. apples and oranges imo
Thank you. I tried to build almost a catfish playground. I was successful, perhaps too much so since my corys can explore and still never be out in view.
PlantedRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #27
PlantedRookie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
i love angels! when i get a large tank, ill be doing a biotope for altums!!

thanks! i only have 2 left. the rest died or jumped out, even though i have a full hood on the tank!

Sorry about your hatchets. That sucks. I had tought about getting some myself, but after hering you say that I think I'll pass on them.
PlantedRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #28
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRookie View Post
Sorry about your hatchets. That sucks. I had tought about getting some myself, but after hering you say that I think I'll pass on them.
yeah i cant say i took particularily good care of them. this tank is in my brothers room and is very neglected, starting now it wont be, but before, it was pretty bad. so i would say go ahead and try the hatchets! as long as the tank is high enough that they will be at eye level! this tank is lower so you cant see them
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #29
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

I'll get some better pictures at some point.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #30
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

In most black water environments you won't find plants there are some exceptions but they can require true black water which is softer than soft if you're thinking biotope my favorite is amazon back water streams or southeast asia backwaters which Bettas can be found around downoi and certain crypts
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote