Freezing Zuchinni
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Jadenlea
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Freezing Zuchinni

Hey guys,

I believe it was in this catagory where I have seen a couple people mention that they freeze their zuchinni for their shrimps for future use rather then waste it.

I have a garden every year but I don't like zuchinni so I have never planted it. This year though, I planted some just for the shrimp. I have way more then I can use before it goes bad so I was thinking of freezing it so the shrimp can have pesticide free zuchinni for the rest of the year

My question is, Do you need to cook it first like tomatos? Or do you just slice it up and freeze it in freezer bags?

Oh and if you cook it first...How and for how long?

Thanks

Last edited by Jadenlea; 07-17-2012 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: another question
Jadenlea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Slice and freeze. I like to cut them in half lengthwise for shrimp so it's a smaller piece; they can possibly finish a whole piece unless you've got like hundreds of shrimp. Mysteries and fish get whole slices, though.

To help them sink better, I've started putting them in a glass with water and microwaving until the water boils then tossing them into a glass of ice water. I use that same process with other veggies except peas, corn and limas.

-Lisa
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I find they like the skin better. They ignore it for a couple of he's and then is gone next day. They eat it all in about 36 hrs.
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Ulupica
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would think that if you freeze and then thaw the zucchini before feeding you could probably eliminate the blanching/boiling step. All that does is begin to break down the cell walls and the freezing process does a good job of that all on its own.
Ulupica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulupica View Post
I would think that if you freeze and then thaw the zucchini before feeding you could probably eliminate the blanching/boiling step. All that does is begin to break down the cell walls and the freezing process does a good job of that all on its own.
Yeah, but who wants to take the time to let the zucchini thaw? That would take hours. I want it NOW NOW NOW!!

-Lisa
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunsthure View Post
Yeah, but who wants to take the time to let the zucchini thaw? That would take hours. I want it NOW NOW NOW!!

-Lisa
No it doesn't. I put mine in a cup of hot water, splash some dechlorinator in it, and let it sit for a whopping 10 minutes. Perfectly thawed and tank temp. Even if you just let it sit out and thaw, it should take that long if you are slicing it fairly thin.

I slice mine up, blanch it for 3 minutes, put it in a freezer bag and keep it for 6 months. But I blanch mine because I'm generally going to feed a slice right then. If I wasn't going to feed that day I'd probably just slice it and put it in the freezer.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier

PTrader: (432/100%)

I just drop frozen pieces into the tank, takes a few minutes to sink but I dont see a problem with it. By the time it sinks there is a swarm of shrimp on it.
nilocg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I tried frozen zucchini once. Some shrimps liked it, but I don't. The reason I don't is the portion I put in the freezer froze into a solid block and if I tried to force a piece off, it's all squished. Any way to keep them separate? Also for frozen spinach?
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
I tried frozen zucchini once. Some shrimps liked it, but I don't. The reason I don't is the portion I put in the freezer froze into a solid block and if I tried to force a piece off, it's all squished. Any way to keep them separate? Also for frozen spinach?
I put them on a paper plate (zucchini, spinach and kale) and let individual pieces freeze for about an hour then toss in a ziplock. Keeps them nice and separated for future use
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
I put them on a paper plate (zucchini, spinach and kale) and let individual pieces freeze for about an hour then toss in a ziplock. Keeps them nice and separated for future use
Doh ! We do this all the time for other food items but never thought about doing this for something more important like shrimp food ;-) Thanks.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.