Kuhli loach and swordtail as tankmates?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
mad_sci
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Kuhli loach and swordtail as tankmates?

Is it viable to keep kuhli loaches and swordtails together as tankmates? I have 3 one inch long kohaku swordtails in a 10 gallon at the moment and am thinking of adding in some small kuhli loaches. I know swordtails do grow large up to 5 inches long but at the moment mine are 1 inch specimens.
mad_sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
tumbleweedz
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I've never had any problems with them together.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
MarineEdge
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Wouldnt be a problem at all. Just a heads up tho, i have two black khuli in a 20L, and i never see them. they hide all day long and only come out at night. And if i get too close to get a look, they scatter and hide again lol.

RAOK Member #47
MarineEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Vesh
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

t wouldn't a problem at all per ce. But kuhlies need to be in groups of six or more. And 10 gallon is not sufficient for such a group.
Vesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

I have a 55 gallon and 3 black kuh's and they are out playing all the time, at least get one more. But Vesh is dead on, get 5 more and they will BE ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Granted they do hide from time to time. Loaches are a VERY social species.

Ex. I had 2 clown loaches that I NEVER SAW THEM! not even during feeding! I added a new Loach in there, and now the dart around the tank and have a great time.

I miss my one species of loach that i havent seen in a while
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Blue angel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have four kuhlies in my 55g and they are pretty active. I gave them two small faux caves and a fake shell and they hop from one to the other in a twisted group. They perch in my crypts. I suggest getting the common crypt wenti(spelling?) and they will wiggle through it. They think they are hiding and it makes them easy to watch.
I lost the fifth member of my group to a fake tree stump, I suggest avoiding decorations with pencil-size or smaller sized holes. They wiggle into tight spaces and can't always get out.
The swordtails should be fine with the kuhlies. Mine never notice them. I would recommend more swimming space for both fish, esp the swordtails. They get huge! I've had guppies in 10g do great spawning and lived around 3 years each. They come in a swordtail variety but might not be a easy to find.
Blue angel is offline   Reply With Quote