Beginnings of a 55 gal. Iwagumi RCS farm (56k warning!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
Williak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridges View Post
When I got my CO2 system, I got it with the 5lb. cylinder, thinking I'd be able to get it refilled anywhere. Unfortunately, paintball supply places wouldn't touch it, and welding supply places only do exchanges. If you have a beer brewing supply place near you, they might do refills without much hassle.

But the $20-something cost of renting a tank for 2 or 3 months before needing to be replaced outweighed the hassle of trying to find someone to refill it.

David

EDIT: Most nearly any welding supply store (Air Liquide, Hollux, AirGas, etc.) will rent many different sizes, 5lb. and up!
This is a good point. I haven't even considered looking for welding stores. I know alot of people recommended beverage places, like soda machine companies. Although that seemed a bit random to me. Because of this, previously, I had considered the paintball method.... but I just figure go the whole way and get a 5 or 10lb tank.

I'll have to do some searching for a local welding supply store. Thanks for all your advice DBridges!
Williak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Williak
Algae Grower

Beginning to get really annoyed with this waiting game. Second time in a row now that my LFS has failed to get my HC pots.

Going on 2 weeks of waiting now. I'll give it until next Monday, then I'm just going to order through a supplier on here... Prob should have done that in the first place .

Been misting my substrate every day or every other day, just to keep it moist until I can get in my HC. Hoping all goes well when it does arrive. Been using this delay to really read up on DSM methods and about all of the problems that may arise. I believe I've ordered enough HC that I will be able to reasonably cover my entire tank bottom.... hopefully reducing overall DSM time until flood .

As I mentioned previously, I've decided to turn this 55 into a shrimp tank. I've got another 55 with a large school of neons and corys. Wanting to go with something completely different on this one.

In the mean time, while I wait on my HC pots, I've started up another 10 gallon DSM tank. Got down some soil, topped with SafeTSorb. Went and got a baseball size clump of Java Moss from my LFS and spread it out all evenly across the substrate. Running 2 15w 6500k CFLs about 6" above the tank. Misting once daily and keeping it saran wrapped. Hoping to get this moss rooted quickly, so I can flood and cycle, then order about 30 RCS . Hopefully by the time my 55 is done with DSM, I'll have plenty of RCS to transfer from the 10.

Hoping I will have some updated pics soon with the HC planted!

Any feedback on anything I've mentioned before would be great
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
csmith
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

Don't get too hung up on constantly spraying the tank down. The point behind DSM is more about the humidity levels, as opposed to the actual moisture on/in the substrate. You want the lower level of the substrate to have water in it, but once you get near the top it should be dry.

If your glass is that dry without you having wiped it down for photos, you may not be holding enough humidity inside the tank.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?

Last edited by csmith; 07-26-2012 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Clarification
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #19
Williak
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
Don't get too hung up on constantly spraying the tank down. The point behind DSM is more about the humidity levels, as opposed to the actual moisture on/in the substrate. You want the lower level of the substrate to have water in it, but once you get near the top it should be dry.

If your glass is that dry without you having wiped it down for photos, you may not be holding enough humidity inside the tank.

Thanks for the reply, csmith

I've heard this a lot, and I def agree. My substrate is very absorbent so I'm really just trying to keep it wet prior to planting. I've yet to add any water to tank other than misting at this point. I will fill it to just below the substrate top before I plant.

In these photos, I don't have saran wrap on the top, as I haven't planted anything yet, so that is why there is no condensation

I'm planning on misting once a day or every two days, when I finally get some HC planted. I've SUPPOSEDLY got 6 HC pots coming into my LFS on Friday, then I'm also getting some HC mats from a vendor on here. Hoping I'll have enough to completely cover the bottom, so that it won't take as long to fill out. Enter the double edge sword... I am also hoping that I just don't wind up suffering a substantial loss by planting it all, and then losing it all (since this is my first round with DSM)

I'm thinking I'm going to keep maybe a pot or so, in some soil under a CFL. That way I'll have a small bit to use if all else goes down hill.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
csmith
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

Keeping some as a safety net is smart, DSM can be tricky once you begin. On my tank I have cling wrap only on the back half, and the front half has the glass lids. This leaves a few extremely small gaps where air can escape so it isn't completely soaked inside.

Remember, if you're getting submersed HC and putting it into the DSM the transition can look a lot worse than it is. I thought mine had melted and died until I saw sprouts coming up.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #21
Williak
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
Keeping some as a safety net is smart, DSM can be tricky once you begin. On my tank I have cling wrap only on the back half, and the front half has the glass lids. This leaves a few extremely small gaps where air can escape so it isn't completely soaked inside.

Remember, if you're getting submersed HC and putting it into the DSM the transition can look a lot worse than it is. I thought mine had melted and died until I saw sprouts coming up.
As far as I know, both sets of HC I'm receiving are emersed grown.

I couldn't care less as long as it comes back green and continues to grow

I'm planning on putting saran wrap on the whole tank, with lights on 12 hours a day. Opening the saran wrap every morning and allowing some airflow for 5 minutes or so. Possibly misting again, if it seems that it is needed, then re-covering.

The HC pots SHOULD be in tomorrow!

Realllllyyy crossing my fingers this time... .....
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

Any new pictures or changes to the tank?
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
Obakemono
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

FYI if you buy a CO2 tank make sure it has a current hydrostatic test date or you cannot get it filled. I bought my 7lb cylinder off of Fleabay with a current hydro and it cost me 25.00 to have filled up. I like the tank because it is tall and skinny.

Oh, nice setup BTW.
Obakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #24
Williak
Algae Grower

Unfortunately this tank was a massive disaster.

HC never came in, my LFS went under I suppose as I never received any word of my shipment, and they won't answer the phone anymore. Don't even seem to be around as a matter of fact. Excellent.

Ordered some S. Repens and planted those. Hair algae outbreak of monumental proportions ensued. Tank basically went downhill from there. Since this has happened, I've re evaluated my ideas about an iwagumi tank.

In addition to this, maintenance and water changes on 2 55 gallon tanks, a 29, a 20, and 2 10s was becoming a major nuisance. I have since downsized considerably and am about to sell off alot of equipment and tanks. Will likely post some of these in the SnS on here.

I still am keeping my older low tech, low light 55 gallon, which is doing amazing by the way. But instead of keeping all of the other tanks, I am getting rid of the rest and purchasing one rimless tank for an iwagumi set up.

Planning on purchasing a ADA 60p or a Mr Aqua 60.

I've also purchased a full GLA CO2 set up, and obtained an Eheim 2217 filter for this upcoming 60p project.

Now in the process of purchasing the whole ADA substrate system, lights, and deciding on rocks and plant choices.

There will be a journal for this upcoming iwagumi tank, probably set up in the next month or so. Hopefully everyone who was following this will transfer over
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
DBridges
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear things went south with this tank. I hope the next ones goes better!

David

Fluval G6 Fluval Pimp Club #046
DBridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #26
Williak
Algae Grower

Thanks for the condolences Dbridges

It will. I've got this one much more planned out. And an actual injected CO2 system...
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
FORREST3320
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

updates?
FORREST3320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 iwagumi planted tank