Speedie's Shrimp Pix Collection pt. II **NEW SHRIMP PHOTOS - 8/28/14** - Page 40
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #586
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (105/100%)

I caught 2 of my berried mommas at lunch just to check egg color..... So I think all is good. Also caught a couple BTOE and they are for sure Dark green blackish....
Finnex Pimp #8

Last edited by sbarbee54; 02-26-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: ...
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #587
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
^^ Thanks fork looking guys!

Jaime,

Hope that soldier makes it to adulthood for ya.

You should really show me what you got. Aren't you a photographer yourself?

Nick
I have my fingers crossed SO tight he makes it to adulthood and is a male. With all his mother went through he seems to be slow growing...just got his stripes two weeks ago and he was gosh, 14 weeks old at that point. But he's finally growing and out eating more and molting more frequently.

And yeah, it's pathetic... I was a pro photographer for years, even have a BS degree in it and can't photograph them. LOL! But it's due to sheer laziness of not busting out the rest of my equipment. I grab the Iphone or the Canon 50D and use the on camera flash cause it's convenient. I've got 2-3 flashes, off camera flash brackets, Quantum packs (heck 3-4 of those) and everything...I just hate pulling all that stuff out. HA, I swear, it's JUST laziness that keeps me from at least trying. Need to get off my rearend though and at least try....it's maddening not to be able to get good shots of them.

I've got a macro zoom lens but that won't work unless I want to be across the room. My other lenses aren't macro (and I truly believe the on camera macro setting is dang near worthless). Got a slew of close up filters but I'm thinking of picking up a cheap reverse ring to play with. Every fooled with one of those and got a thumbs up or thumbs down on it?
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #588
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (390/100%)

Oh a Pro... stop being lazy and school me please! :P

About the reverse ring thingamabober... I tried one on my 50mm f1.8 lens a while back and hated it. To each his/her own obviously because some may like that it cost close to nothing for one of those rings. I just hate the constant toying and lack of DoF adjustment. Let's just say it's not practical for shooting shrimp lol.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #589
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Well there are the little cheap rings for like $2 out of Hong Kong and then there are extension tubes that are about oh, $20-30. It's just a cheap way to cut corners and not buy a macro but still was curious if either were worth a flip. Hmmmm. Might have to at least look into the extension tubes and see if any are worth anything. I can't imagine those little rings would be any better than my close up filters (and you lose a ton of DoF with those as it is) probably it would wind up being the same but I just wasn't sure. I haven't fooled with new camera gadgets in years so no telling what all is on the market I've been missing. LOL!
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #590
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Re: Speedie's Shrimp Pix Collection pt. II **NEW PIXORZ ADDED 2/26/13**

All of my pics are taken with my cell using a cheap macro lens that I bought through Ebay.

My photos never get any where near as perfect as Speedie's, but they'll do for me. :-)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #591
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Well there are the little cheap rings for like $2 out of Hong Kong and then there are extension tubes that are about oh, $20-30. It's just a cheap way to cut corners and not buy a macro but still was curious if either were worth a flip. Hmmmm. Might have to at least look into the extension tubes and see if any are worth anything. I can't imagine those little rings would be any better than my close up filters (and you lose a ton of DoF with those as it is) probably it would wind up being the same but I just wasn't sure. I haven't fooled with new camera gadgets in years so no telling what all is on the market I've been missing. LOL!
I bought one cause I simply can't afford macro lenses at this point. The one I use tweaks the aperture wide open but I don't have an external flash besides the one on my camera so my pictures suck ATM lol
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #592
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Reverse rings and extension tubes are waste of time for moving shrimps. DOF is so shallow you have to take 6-9 pictures and stack them in order to have similar sharpness to macro lens.
I have tried reverse rings with lens from 14mm to 300mm best is Zeiss manual 85mm/1.4
After reverse ring disappointment I got this Kenko extension tube
http://www.adorama.com/KNAETSDNKAF.html
Tried all lenses again –better result but still can’t reach macro lenses performance.
Best result macro lens 85-150mm. Shooting 4-5 inches from the glass. Very important-prevent light from flash and light fixture to reflect to the lens.
plamski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #593
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
Best result macro lens 85-150mm. Shooting 4-5 inches from the glass. Very important-prevent light from flash and light fixture to reflect to the lens.
Can you elaborate a bit more? I'm thinking to get a new Sony NEX and there's only a 30mm macro unless I go with adapter. How would a 30mm macro lens work with shrimp pic? What difference does it make comparing 30mm and 100mm? I understand I might need to go really close to get the 1:1 with a 30mm comparing to a 100mm, does that make a huge difference?

I know very little about photography, I know people who do but they don't know shrimps ;-)
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #594
plamski
Wannabe Guru

30mm mean that if you like to have 1:1 you have to focus from 2-5" from the shrimp. With 105mm you min focus distance is 10-15".To get nice details it is belter to get close picture but then you are losing DOF. Probably best is to shot from 10" with 30mm.You will have some sharpness and large DOF. Lighting is more important. You will need at least 2 flashes. I don't know can NEX do remote flash control. If not then you can buy cheap flashes which supports SU-4 mode-veeeeeeery cool mode for us.
There is a play with size of the image, EV settings of the camera to but because this one is not my thread I’ll leave Nick to explain if he decides to.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #595
speedie408

Just point ....... and shoot! :P

You have to understand photography in general. Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc... once you understand how these coincide with one another, you might be able to shoot good pictures granted you have proper equipment on hand. Yes as Plamen stated, lighting plays a huge role in attaining sharp vivid pictures. The more the better, but totally not necessary if all you have is one flash.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #596
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, I do have the basic knowledge of aperture, speed, ISO, DOF, ... etc... I'll play with it more.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #597
plamski
Wannabe Guru

I don't know how powerful NEX flash is. Assuming that it comes in small package the light can be too concentrated. Flash diffuser will spread light nicely but it will lover intensity.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #598
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
I don't know how powerful NEX flash is. Assuming that it comes in small package the light can be too concentrated. Flash diffuser will spread light nicely but it will lover intensity.
The flash on the body is crappy, and probably won't work because it will be flashing directly to the front glass. The plus for remote flash is proprietary so I'm not buying a SONY one for just that. I thought about using the body flash to trigger a slave, but will have to block it from flashing to the glass.... so much work ;-)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #599
speedie408

Randy,

Is there not a hot shoe on the Sony Nex? I mean you can ultimately use a remote flash trigger on the built in hot shoe if needed and that will rule out having to use any built in remote triggers that utilize the onboard flash for triggering.

My Canon 60D has this capability but I opt not using it due to this very reason. Plus you have more options with using more affordable flash units with aftermarket remote triggers.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #600
randyl
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Randy,

Is there not a hot shoe on the Sony Nex? I mean you can ultimately use a remote flash trigger on the built in hot shoe if needed and that will rule out having to use any built in remote triggers that utilize the onboard flash for triggering.

My Canon 60D has this capability but I opt not using it due to this very reason. Plus you have more options with using more affordable flash units with aftermarket remote triggers.
That's another way to do it I guess. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, do you think the flash bothers shrimps? They have no eye lids, I'd be annoyed if I'm forced to open my eyes and someone flashes in front of my eyes.