Starting up a new 55 gal tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
RyannVonDoom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Starting up a new 55 gal tank

Just received a 55gal tank that had been sitting at my work in the basement for over a year(for free) came with the following;
Bulb hoods(non LED and they work!)
Stand

Not sure what to get for the filters, substrate and heaters. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what to get? Please link each suggestion or post the URL, if you could please.

Thanks Gents and Ladies.
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

A few different factors can affect the recommendations, such as budget and stock. If you plan to have a lot of fish, then an Eheim 2217 would probably be a good option. Lightly stocked and you'd be fine with an
AquaClear 70 AquaClear 70
, maybe even two. For a heater, I would go with the
Eheim Jager 150w Eheim Jager 150w
, hard to beat Eheim quality. As for substrate, i'll let someone else make those recommendations. Enjoy the new project!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #3
RyannVonDoom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeDejavu View Post
A few different factors can affect the recommendations, such as budget and stock. If you plan to have a lot of fish, then an Eheim 2217 would probably be a good option. Lightly stocked and you'd be fine with an AquaClear 70, maybe even two. For a heater, I would go with the Eheim Jager 150w, hard to beat Eheim quality. As for substrate, i'll let someone else make those recommendations. Enjoy the new project!
Thanks.. I'm running on a tight budget. I dont plan on having many fish, just some harlequin rasboras and some neon and black neon tetras, that's about it.
RyannVonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
agro
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Depends whatcha planning to do with the 55g.

Planted? Certain biotope? Nice scape? Also ~budget?

++ welcome to TPT, but believe you posted in wrong section if you won't keep much inverts.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
RyannVonDoom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by agro View Post
Depends whatcha planning to do with the 55g.

Planted? Certain biotope? Nice scape? Also ~budget?

++ welcome to TPT, but believe you posted in wrong section if you won't keep much inverts.

No, the focal point will be shrimp and that's why I posted in this subforum specifically. Going with cherries, but the fish statement was in response to the "how much stock in the tank" comment/question. I plan to have harlequins, black and normal neon tetras in the tank cruising around.

I'm thinking I may go planted, I have some amazon swords in my other tank that are going strong and may have some in this one. I'm honestly not sure overall the theme of the tank.. just trying to figure out the base equipment first then build up from there, if that makes sense? Havent had a 55 gallon in a long time and the last time I was dumb and just had turtles in it.. big mistake.

(edit) Budget, my father's getting this for me (christmas present), so I'm trying to keep my budget to around $120 area. Anything above that I'll slowly add to the tank as I get the funds.

Also, thank you for the welcome.. have browsed here for years.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
agro
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyannVonDoom View Post
No, the focal point will be shrimp and that's why I posted in this subforum specifically. Going with cherries, but the fish statement was in response to the "how much stock in the tank" comment/question. I plan to have harlequins, black and normal neon tetras in the tank cruising around.

I'm thinking I may go planted, I have some amazon swords in my other tank that are going strong and may have some in this one. I'm honestly not sure overall the theme of the tank.. just trying to figure out the base equipment first then build up from there, if that makes sense? Havent had a 55 gallon in a long time and the last time I was dumb and just had turtles in it.. big mistake.

(edit) Budget, my father's getting this for me (christmas present), so I'm trying to keep my budget to around $120 area. Anything above that I'll slowly add to the tank as I get the funds.

Also, thank you for the welcome.. have browsed here for years.
Should've signed up a while ago.
As you know Neos are the much more hardier shrimp and can thrive in most conditions. No special gravel is needed so in this case we can opt for the cheapest gravel, just make sure it doesn't leech color or something.

If it's bulbs I'm guessing it's t8 bulbs, fat tube ones that you see in warehouses/shoplights. Not the best light but will definitely grow low light plants easily such as mosses which is basically a must for shrimp. There's many other low light plants, but a mixture of moss/anubias is efficient/nice/and not expensive.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #7
stephenpence
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey boss I've been keeping shrimp and fish for a few years now and live here in Laramie. I've got a whole room of stuff that we can use to get you set up and running.
stephenpence is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
RyannVonDoom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpence View Post
Hey boss I've been keeping shrimp and fish for a few years now and live here in Laramie. I've got a whole room of stuff that we can use to get you set up and running.
Nice Dude.

And you guys are right.. I should have joined years ago. think it was 2012 when I stumbled on this site.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
RyannVonDoom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpence View Post
Shot you a PM yesterday.. hit me up this week when/if you're free.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
RyannVonDoom
Algae Grower

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.