I need some PRL opinions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
youjettisonme's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA U
Posts: 692
Default

I need some PRL opinions


So far, my PRL project is going quite well. I have 30 PRLs from 3 different colonies, everyone is happy, I've never had a death, 4 or 5 are berried, and I have about 50 shrimplets grazing about.

That said, I have been contemplating the word "pure" in PRL. Pure means "not kept with Goldens". That makes plenty of sense. But what about BKK? If I kept, let's say, Ruby Reds in my PRL tank, would the "purity" take a hit on any level? Personally, I don't think so, but I wanted to get a take from anyone else who is either keeping PRL or who have thought about this topic.
__________________
------------------------------------------

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (272/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
Default

Yes, bkk have golden genes, so if you keep them with Prl, you will taint your animals.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
youjettisonme's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA U
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Yes, bkk have golden genes, so if you keep them with Prl, you will taint your animals.
Thanks Liam. I have to say, I am seeing a lot of pics these days with PRL being kept with BKKs. At some point, I started thinking someone knew something that I didn't.
__________________
------------------------------------------

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
randyl
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,359
Default

I don't understand keeping Taiwan bees with PRL/PBL either. If it's to get some mischlings then low grade should do. People try to get more coverage of blue on BB by specifically using lower grade of golden to bring out the blue.

Also, if the purpose is to get mischlings to get more TBs, I'd think using lower grade should be easier as they are tougher.

So, I'll grab a seat and learn in this thread.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (272/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
Default

In Asian shrimpkeeping community, its more common to buy shrimp as a status symbol, or as a pet. In the US and Europe the focus in the hobby is more about breeding for profit.

So that's why you may see mixed populations in pictures in some cases.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
jimko
Puzzled...
 
jimko's Avatar
 
PTrader: (369/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Frisco, CA
Posts: 1,186
Default

Sorry for the Highjack? If you keep PRL of three different strains and mix them isn't that consider tainting the genes also?

Lets say you purchased Beni, Crimson, and Shawn's CRS. They are all PRL, but once you mix them you can't link them back to one PRL line. It's true, that it's difficult to sell them back without direct authorization from the PRL dealer.

I guess your going to have to name them Jetti's PRL now.

BTW in your opinion what's the most solid color line you have purchased?
__________________


Bred and grown in the USA... Mostly! Proud member of SFBAAPS!
jimko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Jorge_Burrito's Avatar
 
PTrader: (30/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 549
Default

Pretty well answered, but just to add my own experience in creating some mischlings is some of them come out pretty ugly mainly in terms of the red seems to become more brownish in color, but also occasionally the white is not all that solid. I definitely would not keep PRL with TB.
Jorge_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #8
madness
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimko View Post
Sorry for the Highjack? If you keep PRL of three different strains and mix them isn't that consider tainting the genes also?

Lets say you purchased Beni, Crimson, and Shawn's CRS. They are all PRL, but once you mix them you can't link them back to one PRL line. It's true, that it's difficult to sell them back without direct authorization from the PRL dealer.

I guess your going to have to name them Jetti's PRL now.

BTW in your opinion what's the most solid color line you have purchased?
My understanding is that this is what he is planning to do - use PRL as the source and create his own line that is hopefully more hardy than the PRL he started with.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
sbarbee54
The Security Dude
 
sbarbee54's Avatar
 
PTrader: (107/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Badlands
Posts: 4,192
Default

Jimko in some since you are right. But I think the whole "pure" part in it just references not being breed with goldens. So in a since they mixin 5 or 10 different say brands of prl and they would still be a prl, but just of your own prl. Heck all these shrimp started from someone batch some where down the road.
__________________
55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire
 
speedie408's Avatar
 
PTrader: (391/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 8,302
Default

Guilty! I keep my pure lines with TB because I can. I'm not trying to breed for profit like some others here. I'm an importer. I put my shrimp where there's room and similar water parameters.

If I were to breed I'd keep em strictly "PRL", no mixing of anything else. Don't mix in TBs Raymond, even tho I'm sure you're tempted due to the recent price drop .
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
youjettisonme's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA U
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimko View Post
Sorry for the Highjack? If you keep PRL of three different strains and mix them isn't that consider tainting the genes also?

Lets say you purchased Beni, Crimson, and Shawn's CRS. They are all PRL, but once you mix them you can't link them back to one PRL line. It's true, that it's difficult to sell them back without direct authorization from the PRL dealer.

I guess your going to have to name them Jetti's PRL now.

BTW in your opinion what's the most solid color line you have purchased?
Funny that you are using the name I've had in my head all along. "Jetti PRL". Yes, you get the idea. Selling Crimsons or selling Ebiten is impossible unless you are the supplier and receiving shipping right from the source. Once you breed them, you are no longer selling Crimson, for example, but you are now selling "PRL that came from the Crimson line". As for what's been most solid from red to white, it's difficult to say. Crimson, in contrast to the KangShiang and XIN that I have are very large and have very dark reds. The XINs have very bright red in contrast. The KangShiang look like SS+ CRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
My understanding is that this is what he is planning to do - use PRL as the source and create his own line that is hopefully more hardy than the PRL he started with.
Madness has it exactly. I want to create a new American line of PRL comprised of PRL from 5 different Asian lines. I only have 3 different varieties right now so I'll be adding two more once they become available again. Likely, Beni and Ebiten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Jimko in some since you are right. But I think the whole "pure" part in it just references not being breed with goldens. So in a since they mixin 5 or 10 different say brands of prl and they would still be a prl, but just of your own prl. Heck all these shrimp started from someone batch some where down the road.
Yes, this. I know this will be a long process and will take years and generations of breeding to accomplish, but I am hoping I remain patient and let the shrimps do their thing.
__________________
------------------------------------------

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
youjettisonme's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA U
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Guilty! I keep my pure lines with TB because I can. I'm not trying to breed for profit like some others here. I'm an importer. I put my shrimp where there's room and similar water parameters.

If I were to breed I'd keep em strictly "PRL", no mixing of anything else. Don't mix in TBs Raymond, even tho I'm sure you're tempted due to the recent price drop .
Yeah, no mixing for me. Not worth compromising my project. I will still pick up some BKK from you at some point for one of my 60Fs though.
__________________
------------------------------------------

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
madness
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
Funny that you are using the name I've had in my head all along. "Jetti PRL". Yes, you get the idea. Selling Crimsons or selling Ebiten is impossible unless you are the supplier and receiving shipping right from the source. Once you breed them, you are no longer selling Crimson, for example, but you are now selling "PRL that came from the Crimson line". As for what's been most solid from red to white, it's difficult to say. Crimson, in contrast to the KangShiang and XIN that I have are very large and have very dark reds. The XINs have very bright red in contrast. The KangShiang look like SS+ CRS.



Madness has it exactly. I want to create a new American line of PRL comprised of PRL from 5 different Asian lines. I only have 3 different varieties right now so I'll be adding two more once they become available again. Likely, Beni and Ebiten.



Yes, this. I know this will be a long process and will take years and generations of breeding to accomplish, but I am hoping I remain patient and let the shrimps do their thing.
Once you have been line breeding them for a while they will qualify as line-bred shrimp as well (the second half of the high end PRL qualifications that are often used).

Of course as soon as you backcross something or add any new genes the line-breeding gets set back to zero.

Either way if you manage to combine the quality of the PRL shrimp with more robust genetics I think that you will have a market here in the states for the shrimp.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
randyl
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,359
Default

Maybe your definition is different, but here is what I follow

PRL: Pure Red Line, these CRS have never crossed with golden.

PBL: Pure Blood Line, these bee shrimps have never crossed with shrimps not in the same line.

Summary: PBL is by designation, PRL is by genetic. A PBL doesn't need to be a PRL, and a PRL doesn't need to be a PBL.

So my take on this matter is : One kind of PRL cross the other kind of PRL, the result is still PRL by definition.

PBL on the other hand, lose its status once cross with shrimps not in the same line.

Here is the tricky part, Superman's PBL (if also a PRL) x Batment's PBL (if also a PRL), the result is PRL but not PBL, unless Ironman gets them and starts line breeding them and calls then Ironman PBL (also PRL).



That said, a beautiful shrimp is a beautiful shrimp, and every shrimp is beautiful.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
youjettisonme
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
youjettisonme's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA U
Posts: 692
Default

Good summation guys. Once I have introduced the two additional strains, that will be it for me, and then I can move forward with the process of breeding and culling.
__________________
------------------------------------------

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012