colors of honey gourami
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

colors of honey gourami

at my lfs today they had a tank with 3 different kind of honey gourami. i did not know that there were different color variations available. i got one they called a blue honey. its very orange with dark blue running along the dorsal its tail is clear. i will try to get a pic 2moro. the other color they had looked light orange like a sunset platy. and the regular version with just orange on its tail. the new varieties were very brightly colored and made they standard look plain in comparison.
amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well, I know there are some hybrids available.
Common names may or may not mean the fish are actually color variations of the original fish. (I have even seen the gold variety of the 3-spot Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus) called Honey Gourami) I know there is one that is similar in size and shape to the Honey, but more of a red-orange, pale or clear tail, and not really any other markings. I have seen pictures of some that do indeed look more like the Sunset Platy (yellow and orange blend) and of the blue variation you are describing.

The male Honey Gourami that I am familiar with sounds somewhat like what you are seeing: Richer orange than the female, dark (almost black, but not blue) face and going into the belly, and yellow dorsal fin, orange tail, though not as bright as the body. The female is pale, more tan-grey, and may show a sort of horizontal band. This is the original species. Trichogaster chuna is the currently accepted name, though this has changed more than once over the years.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

here is a pic
Attached Images

amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Interesting color. I think I like the more subtle shade of orange of the original, though. Not that red-orange.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote