i think i scared my oto cats...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

i think i scared my oto cats...

Killed the pumps, added some clay to the substrate. They got all excited...

Then i topped up the water, they started doing that awkward pre-game dance on the glass.. I caught about a minute of it with my phone.. couldn't get a wide shot without it haloing the camera, so, sorry about the shaky video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=x2OKdOUuXuA
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

My otos do that everytime I do a partial water change.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

My otos do the same, only extremely fast. They dart around faster than you can see, and you can hear the gravel being rustled by them. They have to be the shy-est fish I've ever owned.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

These guys are at least two different species and usually dont interact... Ill catch them in a huddle for a few seconds every week and i feel like im always watching this tank... There will be one or two near the sponge intake, another by the heater, another trying to grey out on a sunbleached chuck of tree root, etc...

In another tank with otos, theyre all the same species and theyre almost always within inches of each other. Dancing around and such. Actually picked this group up because of how friendly they were with each other. Never seen any unthreatened fish shoal so tightly, wish i couldve gotten more..
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Happy otos! I love when they do that. There must be something about water changes that stimulate them.

And bless you (you sneezed in the video! LOL!).
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Happy otos! I love when they do that. There must be something about water changes that stimulate them.

And bless you (you sneezed in the video! LOL!).
Hah, sorry bout that, but thank you

I change 1 - 3 quarts per day on average with a measuring cup. Protein film builds up even with a pump pointed up out of the water splashing back down..... so i just keep skimming it out or millions of trumpet snails come out like the plague..

This water was still cool from the garden tap however... And theyre dancing started when the water went murky... They went crazier when the new water came in...

Darkened up and then got cool, just like when it rains? If only i could control barometric pressure..
Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
Willamette
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Probably an oxygen high, with new, cooler water. More O2.
Willamette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Protein film builds up even with a pump pointed up out of the water splashing back down..... so i just keep skimming it out or millions of trumpet snails come out like the plague..
Two words: Surface skimmer.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Cool

Quote:
Two words: Surface skimmer.
Ive thought about it.. torn between building a small one and making it work with a retired hob or something.. and getting one of those little aquatop hobs with a self adjusting skimmer and uv..
Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I have one of those cheap Fluval kind on all my larger tanks. I reconfigured the way they're connected so I'm not using the flexible hoses they come with since that looks ugly in the tank. Instead, they are directly connected into the intake on my canister filters. I really like having them. They have to be cleaned out (leaves get trapped), but I don't mind. Much better than having that ugly protein film on the surface. Helps with oxygen exchange, too, without causing too much surface agitation.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have one of those cheap Fluval kind on all my larger tanks. I reconfigured the way they're connected so I'm not using the flexible hoses they come with since that looks ugly in the tank. Instead, they are directly connected into the intake on my canister filters. I really like having them. They have to be cleaned out (leaves get trapped), but I don't mind. Much better than having that ugly protein film on the surface. Helps with oxygen exchange, too, without causing too much surface agitation.
The tank is a ten gallon, so i woulndt mind adding a canister just for the added volume of water. Keeping in tank equiptment to a minimum is high priority, so any suggestions on small functional skimmers?

Also, i have cured bio-film before with just aeration via bubble stone.. this time around, its just stubborn...
Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

What I did was take one like this one (there are several brand names for the same thing) and change it so it fed directly into the downrod of my intake tube. The skimmers don't require much flow so the canisters can run the skimmers in addition to their normal intakes.