lemon tetras got their fins nipped off
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

lemon tetras got their fins nipped off

hey everyone, so my lemon tetras i guess fought with each other in the shipping bag and when i put them into the tank, there were some with little nubs for pectoral fins. they got it from snapping at each other i think. so far it doesnt look like they are limited too much. some will occassionaly do a barrel roll but the minute food hits the tank, all the lemons are all over it. so they can still swim but have a little balance issues sometimes (i would say 30% of the time).

will this heal eventually? or will i have to treat it? now that they are in the tank, they are not nipping as much.

thanks
pandamonium is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Lemon tetras are not known for being aggressive. I question whether the fins were nipped off during transit or whether they are diseased. Fin rot is the first thing that comes to mind with so little information.

Have you contacted the breeder or seller about the condition of the fish upon arrival?

Can you post a picture of the fish?
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

i will try to post a pic as soon as i can. right now its lights out so getting one would be difficult. the reason i think they were nipping is because when i put them in the tank, they were all trying to bite one another. its fairly sparse now because i guess they have more room. one would chase another and nip it. i am also very sure these are lemons. they have the characteristics of lemon tetras. (red eye, yellow body. look kinda like mini-piranhas)
i had these ordered through my LFS and i picked it up the day it arrived. they looked ok when i got them. all were swimming fine.
i will get the pic for you as soon as possible? tomorrow morning should be a good.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

it is impossible to get a picture of these guys and their fins. but looking up fin rot images on google, my lemons dont have the same tear patterns. the fins also dont seem to be getting shorter either over time.
supposing it is fin rot though, it seems to be mild. what would be the treatment for that? and for just torn fins from fighting, what would be that treatment?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

For torn fins, I'd make sure the water is very clean and watch for infection. As long as the fins do not get infected, they'll be okay.

If it's fin rot, I'd medicate the fish. I don't know which medication would be best off hand, but others can help or you can google it.

As to whether the fins will grow back, it depends on how much of the fins were damaged. If it's just the outer part, that normally grows back in time. But as the damage gets closer to the fish's body, then it's possible the fins won't grow back or will grow back distorted.

Whatever the case, the best thing you can do for them now is to give them the healthiest water possible. Make sure your tank is cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low nitrates. Water changes are healthy.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 07-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

yep my tank is cycled and has been 0 and 0 for ammonia and nitrite. nitrates are under 5-10 ppm right now. i will do a water change as soon as i can this weekend probably and it should all be good the damage is fairly far out. its not to the fin nubs yet. all the tetras still have a fair amount of fin left. ill just keep the water clean and try to keep them from being stressed. thanks vicki
Old 07-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Sounds like you're doing a very good job with them. I hope they recover without any problems. Let us know how they do!