Calling all DIY LED "Junkies" - Your opinions wanted! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #91
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Warning: barrage of noob questions coming:

Ok, so for a power supply... I need around 48v to run my emitters. Specifically, would a pair of these work? I think 1.1A is plenty of current, as 500mA is already more than I need, haha...

1. Do I just plug this into the Power Input on the board?
2. What if I need more than 2 power supplies? How/where do I wire those in?

I'm also a total noob when it comes to programming one of these things. I have a Mac, but that doesn't seem to be an obstacle. Just my ignorance.

1. What do I need to connect this to my computer? Also, to what inputs on the board do I connect it?
2. Do I just use the Arduino software to load the sketch?

Last questions:

1. Not sure what the extra connectors are for... do these connect the drivers to the controller via the input pins?
2. If so, do I need to connect drivers I do not use (I will only need 4)?

Thanks for the help on these - I'm very inexperienced with PCB's, so I'm not too sure what I'm looking at. However, I'm clever enough to get myself into trouble if I try to figure it out on my own, haha...
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #92
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

OK- Here we go! I can't post a FleaBay link for obvious reasons, but go there and look for a MeanWell RS-150-24 power supply. They're available for around $32 brand new and can supply enough current to drive the "SmartyCat" to full power, should you ever choose to. You'll also need a USB to FTDI adapter to program the board and you can find those on flea bay too. Here's a photo of the board with the programming adapter connected.

If you don't already have the arduino software it's available here. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software look for the "older IDE Version 23" not Version 1.0. Version 23 works well with the "Sketch" that I posted earlier.

The jumper wires that I sent you get connected from any one of the six available PWM output pins (Arduino ) to the PWM input header (Cat4101). You don't need to connect all six, if you're only using 4 channels.
I'll draw up a photo of the SmartyCat with all typical connections and post it later. Hopefully I've provided enough info to get you started.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #93
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Perfect, thanks! That's pretty much what I needed!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 AM   #94
Mcg177
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

do you have any left ??? i WANT ONE!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #95
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcg177 View Post
do you have any left ??? i WANT ONE!
I sent you a PM.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #96
kennyishio

This is the most awesome I've seen since ever! Holy Moly! Question why can't we just use one 549 resistor and wire all the cat4101 to that one chip?
kennyishio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #97
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyishio View Post
This is the most awesome I've seen since ever! Holy Moly! Question why can't we just use one 549 resistor and wire all the cat4101 to that one chip?
Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you like it. I wish it were that simple but, each CAT4101 needs it's own reference resistor to work properly. The chip attempts to maintain 1.2 volts across the resistor and the current needed to attain that voltage ends up being 1/400 of the actual current driven through the leds.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #98
kennyishio

I'm going to try to making a 10X cat4101 with ATmega328. The only thing that is bugging me is the PCB. I can't get away without using one can I? I dunno if you can tell. I'm a super noob O_O.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #99
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm going to try to making a 10X cat4101 with ATmega328. The only thing that is bugging me is the PCB. I can't get away without using one can I? I dunno if you can tell. I'm a super noob O_O.

You'll need a PCB as the CAT4101 is only available in a surface mount package. Be aware that you'll need to design in provisions for adequate cooling. The Cat chips are linear current regulators that can quite hot if their source voltage isn't closely matched to their led load.
I only used 6 per PCB because that matched the number of PWM outputs available from the Atmega 328. If you haven't done so already, download the freeware version of EAGLE available here- Downloads | Get The Latest Version of EAGLE | CadSoft EAGLE |and use the design files that I posted earlier in this thread to create your own schematic and PCB. You can edit my schematic using the "copy" command to add as many CAT4101s as you wish. Good Luck
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #100
kennyishio

Ok, I'll do that ! I'm just iffy about making the eagle board correctly. Which company did you go through?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #101
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok, I'll do that ! I'm just iffy about making the eagle board correctly. Which company did you go through?
My PCB's were manufactured by Seeedstudios in China. They'll make you 10 pcb's measuring 10cm x10cm for as little as $25. Here's a link- Services : Seeed Studio Bazaar, Boost ideas, extend the reach
Just be aware that their "free shipping" can take up to 6 weeks. I paid considerably more for mine because I went with expedited shipping, full testing of the PCB's and a non standard color. My order came in at $87.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #102
dspangler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

This...is...just...AWESOME!!!

I've been following this for a while now, and it's looking more and more exactly what I need. Do you have any left?

I'm waiting on the LED's and have been holding off on the drivers 'cuz I'm still going back and forth with design/layout and power/driver. As soon as I get close to a decision on one, something about the other doesn't match, changing decision one, which changes decision 2.....Vicious cycle. Problem may have been solved right here.

Oh, and the WAF is an issue also. I'll make that work, though. It'll probably be a situation where it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for approval.

Also, how easy to add Temp, PH, etc?

Dave
dspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #103
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This totally clears up the issues and confusion with drivers. The biggest issues I had with my build was figuring out what drivers to get so I could control it the way I wanted. Many birds- one little stone
Old 10-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #104
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
This totally clears up the issues and confusion with drivers. The biggest issues I had with my build was figuring out what drivers to get so I could control it the way I wanted. Many birds- one little stone
Have you had a chance to set yours up yet? I've passed out 4 of these so far. So I'm just waiting patiently to see how well these work for others.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #105
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just got my FTDI adapter yesterday, (should have ordered it stateside) so I'm assembling it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!

It'll take some rewiring, but it shouldn't be a big deal. That's the whole reason I went with the fancy heat sink