Container pond - temp problems?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Container pond - temp problems?

I've been wanting to set up a container pond but it's been in the 90's for a couple weeks in my area. How do plants and fish handle the high temps?

Even in a partially shaded area, I'd guess the water would still reach 90F....and my only option is to place the container on cement which will add to the heat issues.

I'm considered using a rubbermaid container and sponge filter and letting it run for a few weeks to see how it goes before buying something that looks nicer.

Also - will all fish eat mosquito larva? Don't want to add to the bug problems
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

To handle heat/algae problems, make sure you have floaters, like water lettuce or water hyacinth to block out about 60-70% of the water. Both of those are good nitrate sponges too.

I'm using guppies for the bugs, but white clouds, platies, bettas, pretty much any fish larger than a bug will eat a bug. Also, skeeter larva are a favorite fish food.
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Insulation around the tub would be good too. Dirt is a good insulator.
Yes, fish will eat any bugs.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

It has been about 100 degrees here for a few weeks. I don't see any problems with the plants. I do have to add water to compensate for the evaporation almost every other day. I just keep a few Gambusia affinis out there to deal with the bugs. They are also fine. Well it is not just a few anymore.

The half barrel gets direct sunlight for about 6 hours. The rest I keep more in the shade. The birds love the water.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
It has been about 100 degrees here for a few weeks. I don't see any problems with the plants. I do have to add water to compensate for the evaporation almost every other day. I just keep a few Gambusia affinis out there to deal with the bugs. They are also fine. Well it is not just a few anymore.

The half barrel gets direct sunlight for about 6 hours. The rest I keep more in the shade. The birds love the water.
What's the water temp during the day? Do you get a big drop on cold nights or are you running a heater?

I have a discus tank so I know plants/fish do fine in the mid-80's, but mid or high 90's concerns me. Especially for the fish.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

I keep White Clouds and Red CHerry Shrimp in a 20 gallon tub. Last year I didn't have as many floaters and the sides weren't isulated (I now keep the tub inside a half barrel insulated with dirt). During a 95+ heat wave, I lost all my White Clouds. I still had hundreds of RCS at the end of the season. This year with the insulation and better surface coverage, I haven't had any heat-related deaths that I'm aware of. I lost a few White Clouds right after introducing them, but I don't think those deaths were weather-related. The remaining fish are very happy

Worth noting, I didn't have any fish in the container for a good month or so. I have damselfly larvae in the container now that are too big for the fish to eat. I kill the larvae whenever I can catch one, but some are still survivng. I'm sure they are eating any baby shrimp they can find.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I forgot to mention that the floaters and isulation slow down the heating/cooling cycle as well. I think the temperature spikes are probably worse than the fish being in warmer-than-usual water.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I don't know the water temp. I do not use a heater. The coldest night in the last two or three weeks was probably about 60. With fish the biggest problem I have is raccoons. No big fish can live out there without becoming snacks. So I just keep the Gambusia, they do fine.
I think you just need to see it as a small pond and grow things suitable to a small pond. I have a water lily out there that survived the winter but had all its leaves destroyed by hail twice in June. I put cuttings from my aquariums in there to see what will survive. Most things do fine. Water hyacinths multiply faster than guppies.

The bug cycle is about 10 days to 2 weeks. If you just want to keep a few plants you can just empty the water out every 10 days and replace it. That takes care of the bugs pretty much.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to give it a shot with a rubbermaid tub temporarily to see if fish can handle it. I really need to keep fish in it just to control mosquitos. I'm a magnet for those suckers! Otherwise its a no-go..

I have bad reactions to any kind of insect bites and don't use bug repellent anymore since I had a mishap with one of my tanks

What do you guys use for filtration in container ponds? I have cycled sponges....just need to get another airpump....unless theres a better way to go...
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to give it a shot with a rubbermaid tub temporarily to see if fish can handle it. I really need to keep fish in it just to control mosquitos. I'm a magnet for those suckers! Otherwise its a no-go..

I have bad reactions to any kind of insect bites and don't use bug repellent anymore since I had a mishap with one of my tanks

What do you guys use for filtration in container ponds? I have cycled sponges....just need to get another airpump....unless theres a better way to go...
I am doing the same thing.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=178969

I am going to add more pics later.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just sent you a PM ThinkTank.

Zefrik, I like your container. It just needs more plants
Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I surrounded my tub pond with a thin layer of dirt and bricks. Keeps the tub below 80 on the hottest days but normally it stays in the mid 70's.
Always about 10 degrees cooler in the pond that outside.
It also only gets sun in the morning and for a few hours at noon. Enough shade to protect it from the worst heat but enough sun to grow any plant I throw in there.

I use a fountain pump in a bucket of lava rocks for filtration. Works great. And the added surface movement helps keep things real cool.
Eldachleich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

bricks. that didn't occur to me. I have a few hundred bricks left from the previous owner of my house.
I could stack them around the tub. build a little box of bricks. not sure how I would keep the stack stable or make it look nice without using mortar.

thanks for the idea!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

yup, the brick will work. Insulate with lots of dirt. You can plant ornamentals in the dirt to make it look nicer.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
menoseloso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i have a rubbermaid stock tank i live in south texas the hottest place on earth where 100 degrees is a coldfront to us lol anywhoo.... i just use a circular 3" airstone from wallyworld and thats it aeration is the key for temp control outside. you can do other modifications as were suggested in the end its up to you.
menoseloso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.