Energy Saving Epoch Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Pottifer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Energy Saving Epoch Questions

Hi!
I have a Fluval Spec V and the lighting that came with it is pretty weak. I was wondering if this Epoch Cliplight would be good for my tank, as I'm trying to grow high light plants in it. I will have Co2 and will be dosing. The dimensions of the tank are, 17.2"L x 10.6"H x 6.3"D. Also, I really like the White color of LEDs and 6500k can sometimes look a bit too yellow to me. Would it be better to get the Blue/White bulb over the 6500k? Or is the Blue/White mainly for Reef tanks? And if I do get the Blue/White bulb, would it be suitable for plants like HC and hair grass?? Thanks for the help!!

Drew
Pottifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
atomicjade
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used the blue/white light on my 2g Spec and it was beautiful, not overly blue at all and the moonlights are amazing... however it was too much for my little tank. I think it would be more than enough for the 5g, and it looks classy too!
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottifer View Post
Hi!
I have a Fluval Spec V and the lighting that came with it is pretty weak. I was wondering if this Epoch Cliplight would be good for my tank, as I'm trying to grow high light plants in it. I will have Co2 and will be dosing. The dimensions of the tank are, 17.2"L x 10.6"H x 6.3"D. Also, I really like the White color of LEDs and 6500k can sometimes look a bit too yellow to me. Would it be better to get the Blue/White bulb over the 6500k? Or is the Blue/White mainly for Reef tanks? And if I do get the Blue/White bulb, would it be suitable for plants like HC and hair grass?? Thanks for the help!!

Drew
The blue/white bulb would be an excellent choice. Many people have purchased the blue white bulb for fresh water and have no complaints, as they too were looking for a bulb without the yellowish tint. My only concern is the length of your tank. Surely it will grow HC and other high light plants but your tank is quite long and I would look in to additional lighting for the sides of the aquarium. I've seen high light tanks using this on 12" long aquariums. The 12 gallon long tanks members are using two fixtures.

Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Lowe
Finnex

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjade View Post
I used the blue/white light on my 2g Spec and it was beautiful, not overly blue at all and the moonlights are amazing... however it was too much for my little tank. I think it would be more than enough for the 5g, and it looks classy too!
Hello. Yes, I'm sure for a 2g this was overkill! With CO2 I'm sure your plants were very happy but it must have been just too much for any tank mates you may have had!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
markstr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Can you use the 2 little LEDs for this in combination or are they on a separate Switch ?
Also, when you are talking about the White/ Blue Combo on the Bulb, is that a 10k ??
I know generally for Reefs, a 10k is more desirable. Granted the white is more predominate but for growing plants ?? Wouldn't the 65k be more benificial even though I have to agree the less yellow the better ...
markstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Lowe
Finnex

The blue LEDS can not be used in conjunction with the 26w bulb. Single switch.

In a lot of instances, a bulb marked 6500k will probably have more light useful for plants than one marked 10000k. But that's just scratching the surface as kelvin temp doesn't tell you much of what you really need to know. Look up some posts by TPT member, Hoppy, and you'll learn all you'd need to know on that topic.

Also, here is one of our dealers 4 gallon using the cliplight w/ the blue/white bulb:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.