Photography - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 06-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #16
UprightJoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
The EM's lenses will work on the new Nikon DSLRs, but you won't get the functionality that you would from the newer, chipped lenses. You'd just be using the DSLR in manual mode for setting your exposure.

Of course, you also mention wanting a cheap digital camera, which the DSLRs are not.
That's good to know - some guy at the camera shop told me that they were an oddball size and wouldn't work. I've seen the Nikon camera backs without any lenses go for a few hundred bucks. At least I'd be up and operational until I could get better lenses.

I actually didn't say I WANTED a cheap digital camera - I said I HAVE a cheap digital camera. I want a really nice one. Maybe I'll use my upcoming honeymoon as an excuse to buy one "Honey, we can't go to Belize without at LEAST a 5 megapixel camera. Think about it, when is the next time we're going to be on our honeymoon."

They're all just boxes of water.
UprightJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UprightJoe
I actually didn't say I WANTED a cheap digital camera - I said I HAVE a cheap digital camera.
Oops. My bad

I've been looking at getting a Nikon D70, but wonder how often I'll actually want to carry an SLR around. Moot point since the money I was earmarking for the camera has been spent on some dosing pumps for my tanks.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #18
crshadow
Plant Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UprightJoe
Maybe I'll use my upcoming honeymoon as an excuse to buy one "Honey, we can't go to Belize without at LEAST a 5 megapixel camera. Think about it, when is the next time we're going to be on our honeymoon."
Ironically, that's exactly how I got my digital camera!

-Jeremiah
crshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:51 AM   #19
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

LOL.

The old Nikkor lenses will work with modern digital Nikon bodies, although you won't get autofocus or metering. I have an older 55mm f/3.5 macro in my bag and it's one sharp lens. The fish in the avatar was taken with this same lens on the D70.

Tripods are really only good for taking entire tank pictures. You can also do it handheld; just make sure that you have steady hands, or use a shutter speed that's high enough (add more lights over the tank if you have to; really not a problem in most planted tanks).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote