30 gallon low(isn) tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-07-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
chaostheory
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

30 gallon low(isn) tech

Hey guys!

Making the switch to a tropical tank after keeping fancy goldfish for the past two years. Got a bit fed up with the large, frequent water changes and want to do something a bit more low maintenance. Lights are T5 high outputs, and I'm really over filtered with a huge canister (I might downgrade later on). I'm still maintaining my cycle from the goldfish and am currently waiting for some plants to arrive in the mail before I look into stocking the tank. Plant wise I'm looking at easy things like crypts, vals, anubias, wisteria etc (can't really remember what I ordered..)

Stocking wise I'm a bit undecided, lemme know if you have any suggestions. I'm thinking:

Pair of german rams
endler livebearers
some kind of small schooling tetra or rasbora
3x otos

I'm not too keen on cat fish, they kind of creep me out to be honest

Also feedback on the current hardscape plz! Substrate is a bizarre mix of sand, fine gravel and some fluval stratum that I have left from some nano tanks of the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0899.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	354161  

chaostheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Hardscape looks pretty spot on with the driftwood placements. Nice job.

As for stocking, try a small school of cardinal tetras, they would look awesome with a pair of GBR's. GBR's will look great as the centerpiece fish in the tank. Ottos would look great and will help control diatoms and algae.
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
chaostheory
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
Hardscape looks pretty spot on with the driftwood placements. Nice job.

As for stocking, try a small school of cardinal tetras, they would look awesome with a pair of GBR's. GBR's will look great as the centerpiece fish in the tank. Ottos would look great and will help control diatoms and algae.
Cheers! I think I'm going to play around with adding a bit more of a slope towards the back of the tank for some depth. Also how many schooling fish would be ok for a 30 gal stocking wise? 12ish?

Been reading up on GBR's I think they are so beautiful but hopefully won't prove too challenging to keep.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Yep, a dozen of cardinals would work well.

GBR's are pretty hardy once they become used to your water parameters in the tank, but they can also be a bit sensitive too when you first get them. They really aren't that difficult to care for, imo. Just be sure to keep up with water changes for them keeping nitrates/hormones nice and low, also make sure the tank has matured and cycled nicely, so they can grow healthy. Have a good one.
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
chaostheory
Algae Grower

Just another update on the scape now that the cloudiness has settled. I'm undecided on adding another driftwood on the right. Probably not, I think I just want to go nuts with the plants. Looking forward to their arrivaaall!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 3.23.41 pm.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	354625  

Old 08-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #6
chaostheory
Algae Grower

Update! Plant have gone in as have 12 cardinal tetras. They are so entertaining to watch. Just going to leave it to the tetras for now and have a think about what to go with them. Added some root tabs and dosed some excel. If you can't tell I'm aiming for the mad jungle look also known as whatever easy plants were the cheapest. Might play around with rearranging in the weeks to come. Also excuse the evaporation...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fish.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	357106  

Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #7
chaostheory
Algae Grower

New occupants:

pair of blue rams, they're so adorable I hope I can keep them alive. I think I have a male/female pair but not sure if the male is a female or just gimpy. They are displaying to one another.

Also got 5 tiny panda cory cats. Really entertaining to watch, I take back my earlier statement about catfish. Only reading now that they like a cooler temp on the tropical spectrum so I shall see how they go with the rams at a slightly higher one. Stem plants grow super quickly!!

How do you plant banana lilies? Also my tank is evaporating like crazy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	358370  

Name:	rams.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	358378  

Old 08-18-2014, 05:12 AM   #8
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostheory View Post
New occupants:

pair of blue rams, they're so adorable I hope I can keep them alive. I think I have a male/female pair but not sure if the male is a female or just gimpy. They are displaying to one another.

Also got 5 tiny panda cory cats. Really entertaining to watch, I take back my earlier statement about catfish. Only reading now that they like a cooler temp on the tropical spectrum so I shall see how they go with the rams at a slightly higher one. Stem plants grow super quickly!!

How do you plant banana lilies? Also my tank is evaporating like crazy
I always did like the GBRs. I'd have gone with them myself if I hadn't run across these.

FatherLandDescendant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
chaostheory
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
I always did like the GBRs. I'd have gone with them myself if I hadn't run across these.

Nice! Yeah it was pretty tricky trying to decide in the lfs. In the end I really liked that electric blue that the rams have. I actually preferred the electric blue rams but they were double the price.. and I wasn't really sure how long they'd last.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Nice! Yeah it was pretty tricky trying to decide in the lfs. In the end I really liked that electric blue that the rams have. I actually preferred the electric blue rams but they were double the price.. and I wasn't really sure how long they'd last.

I'm getting 3 juveniles sired by the fish I posted the pic of. I'm getting them from a member here, should be here Wednesday. I hope they turn out as well as the parents

He should have another brood to sell soon.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #11
chaostheory
Algae Grower

DISASTER!!

I went away for two nights to house sit and came back to find a tank full of brown algae. I bought a light timer prior to leaving but it mustn't have worked. This means that the light must have been on for about 3 days. Also the weather warmed up dramatically and my heater overheated the tank to about 30deg ahhh I'm so disheartened. What should I do to get rid of the algae? Just gave the glass the good clean but it's all over my light sand. So bummed At least I haven't lost any fish, the rams must have loved the heat. Their colours are looking amazing. My cardinals look a bit stressed.

Would adding two ottos be an option?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
DISASTER!!

I went away for two nights to house sit and came back to find a tank full of brown algae. I bought a light timer prior to leaving but it mustn't have worked. This means that the light must have been on for about 3 days. Also the weather warmed up dramatically and my heater overheated the tank to about 30deg ahhh I'm so disheartened. What should I do to get rid of the algae? Just gave the glass the good clean but it's all over my light sand. So bummed At least I haven't lost any fish, the rams must have loved the heat. Their colours are looking amazing. My cardinals look a bit stressed.

Would adding two ottos be an option?

The otos are a good add. Sounds to me like you've had a diatom out break, first knock as much as you can loose, do a 50% water change to suck it out, repeat every 2-4 days until it settels down.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
The otos are a good add. Sounds to me like you've had a diatom out break, first knock as much as you can loose, do a 50% water change to suck it out, repeat every 2-4 days until it settels down.
Very sounds advice. Diatoms just take time to get through. Just remain constant and in a few week to a few months it will go away.
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
DudeonThaCouch
Algae Grower

You could add 3 - 4 otos they look really cool in a school I've always added about 1 per 7 gallons of water, and some snails if you want for long term algae help. Of course either way you will eventually need to feed them a little.

Do be careful with vals, some people report melting them with excel but it could be due to overdosing.
DudeonThaCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
chaostheory
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Very sounds advice. Diatoms just take time to get through. Just remain constant and in a few week to a few months it will go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeonThaCouch View Post
You could add 3 - 4 otos they look really cool in a school I've always added about 1 per 7 gallons of water, and some snails if you want for long term algae help. Of course either way you will eventually need to feed them a little.

Do be careful with vals, some people report melting them with excel but it could be due to overdosing.
Quote:
Cheers guys! much appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some otos over the next few days. I really hope I don't lose any plants It looks pretty ugly, especially the substrate. wah.

Some good news, I woke up this morning to some ram eggs!!!! They've staked out the corner behind the vals near the intake tube and give all cories hell for entering into it. It's hard to see them but I'll try to get some pics tonight. I guess the high temp which I bought back down last night must have triggered it. Glad to know they're happy. I thought their colours looked amazing last night...