First time 20 gallon dirt planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
makrovi

PTrader: (0/0%)

First time 20 gallon dirt planted

Hello all. My name is Wei. I live in Chicago and have had a 6 ish gallon pet co bookshelf and regular 5 gallon tank for the last 2 years and have finally upgraded to a 20 gallon. I have read many of your posts and have decided to make the dive into a bigger tank so I can start learning about planted aquariums and make my fish happy. I boiled this big piece of driftwood I got from my local aquarium, but did it halfa** so of course as expected I now have a tea colored aquarium. I am using an aquatop uf400 canister filter and put a bag of purigen as well as activated carbon in there, the activated carbon is in stage 2 and the purigen is sitting on top of the last stage. The purigen is a pre-made bag that stated it would do 100 gallons. I have read that I can do continuous water changes to get the water to lighten up, and I will do that since the tank is dirted and I am monitoring the levels as the tank cycles. I moved some fish from my smaller tank and have transferred the matrix from that tank's filter into the aquatop so that it cycles faster. Is there any other way to speed up the clearing of the water?

I want to thank everyone and their posts as they have been a great inspiration to me and have gotten me this far. Hope to hear from everyone.

makrovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
jkpedrita
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Something simple would be to stuff the canister full of filter floss. After the water is no longer cloudy from sediment then work on getting the tannins out with the carbon and purigen.
jkpedrita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
makrovi

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks JK,

I have a few floss filters in the canister and they are doing their job. I do see very fine particles of dirt in the tank, so I pack in the floss filter in more to try to capture all of this? I sadly loss 4 of the flame tetras I bought from Petco hours within introducing them into the tank. The rest of the fish, 2 guppies, 5 neon tetras, a cory catfish are doing fine. The water is still cloudy, I put in some bio zorb as well to help with the clearing of the water. I have been testing like crazy and there is no ammonia, no nitrite, but the nitrate is in the 40ppm range. I placed in a box of Biomax into the canister. The plants seem to be doing fine. but the nitrate level worries me.
makrovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.