13.3 Rimless Shrimp Playground
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
FenderOffset238
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

13.3 Rimless Shrimp Playground

So it has been a while since I got serious about the hobby, but now, living back at home after college, I feel I have the time to start up my new planted project. The theme I'm looking for is a nature-like Aquarium but one that provide a shrimp-friendly environment - as well as one that would promote active fauna.

The tanks specs:
13.3 Gal Mr. Aqua rimless bowfront tank
2211 Eheim Filter
Fluval shrimp substrate
Coralife 2 x 14 watt T5NO lamps

Here are a few pics from planning to initial start up:

This was my initial Hard Scape idea for the tank (even before the tank had been cleaned)

The revised Hard Scape, this time in the tank...

Here is the tank, post fill and planting. At the start I was injecting CO2, but I have since stopped to obtain a steady pH. Though, I may start dosing again once I'm fully confident in my parameters.

Here is my most recent pic (7/8/12) with my first fauna added - 12 Boraras Brigittae
I'm currently waiting on the tank to fully cycle, then I'll be looking into shrimp!
FenderOffset238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Caleb19
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking good. I have this same tank set up at my office. Was never a fan of the Bowfront, but I wanted a little more volume then 11.4g that Mr. Aqua Carries. So this was perfect.
Caleb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
FenderOffset238
Algae Grower

Yea I like this tank's dimensions, however I had a hard time figuring out a good filter intake/output flow pattern without getting dead spots. Took some tinkering to figure out, but now all is well. Just managing the cycling nitrate booms for the time being... and a case of ich. UGH! What a headache.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
togified
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

i like the original hardscape setup ont he table better. where the 2 point of the wood created a small valley in the middle
Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
FenderOffset238
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by togified View Post
i like the original hardscape setup ont he table better. where the 2 point of the wood created a small valley in the middle
I know what you're talking about, the layout remained quite close to the original but I think the substrate and picture angle altered the appearance slightly. If you were to view it in person I feel it does the layout (and valley) more justice. This was my first time using a soil-like substrate (fluval shrimp) and I had quite a battle getting the angles of the wood/hills right - let alone stay in place. Im hoping the plant/moss grow-in will accentuate the valley aspect in the middle of the two peices
Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice start you have going. Keep up the good work.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Looks good, I like the layout.

Can you level your stand? Looking at the water line in the tank it seems to be a little off.

Sry - don't mean to nitpick - it wouldn't be noticeable in a rimmed tank.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
FenderOffset238
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Looks good, I like the layout.

Can you level your stand? Looking at the water line in the tank it seems to be a little off.

Sry - don't mean to nitpick - it wouldn't be noticeable in a rimmed tank.

knowwww its been bothering me ever since I filled.... I plan on finding a fix in the week to come.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fender, your tank is looking good. That little "window" framed by the two pieces of driftwood is really good in that first image on the table. Perhaps the driftwood on the left could be angled up just a tad? That window gives it great depth.

I noticed you have Boraras b. in your tank. Nice! Did you source those locally, or were those ordered? Do you have any idea where the ich came from? I need about a dozen B b's in the next couple of weeks. I'm curious what you are feeding them and how they behave in your tank. Do they ever swim in a group, or do they sort of scatter throughout the tank?

Thanks!
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Very nice! I loooove lily pipes - they look great in there!

I just set up my 13.3 as a shrimp tank too I have the Eheim Ecco 2236 in it - still have those glaringly obvious green tubes!

It's a really nicely made little tank.
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Jegli09
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Good looking tank, i like the bow front
Jegli09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
FenderOffset238
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Fender, your tank is looking good. That little "window" framed by the two pieces of driftwood is really good in that first image on the table. Perhaps the driftwood on the left could be angled up just a tad? That window gives it great depth.

I noticed you have Boraras b. in your tank. Nice! Did you source those locally, or were those ordered? Do you have any idea where the ich came from? I need about a dozen B b's in the next couple of weeks. I'm curious what you are feeding them and how they behave in your tank. Do they ever swim in a group, or do they sort of scatter throughout the tank?
Hm, once I can get the tank slightly more settled I may mess around and try to tweak the hardscape. It actually isn't the wood on the left that was altered from the table pic, the right piece was quite uncooperative in the initial scaping and was thus angled differently.

But I LOVE my Chilli Boraras! They are full of such great personality! Mine readily accept flake, frozen, and sinking food, I also have boraras maculata in another tank and they accept the same thing. I got them from a LFS that apparently had no clue what they were selling (told me they were Espi Rasboras WRONG), and consequently they gave me an awesome deal on a dozen. BUT that is where the ich is from, that LFS (despite a good growing freshwater selection) is notorious for ich. But I took my chances... and lost. But my fish are looking ich free as of yesterday!

When unstressed or not excited they split up quite a bit and graze for their micro fauna lunch. But when feeding time comes around their colors (at least males) become a brilliant red and some really tight schooling takes place. But they are awesome little inquisitive fish, they even come and investigate my finger if its in the water (which is a problem when siphoning, already sucked one up by mistake - but he lived). And for such a small fish they are super hardy - all 12 have survived 3/4 of the cycle process WITH ich, (knock wood) don't see losing any in the near future (despite what some keepers report).

...I can't rant enough about the little guys.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
FenderOffset238
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by if_fishes_were_wishes View Post
Very nice! I loooove lily pipes - they look great in there!

I just set up my 13.3 as a shrimp tank too I have the Eheim Ecco 2236 in it - still have those glaringly obvious green tubes!

It's a really nicely made little tank.
Thanks Jegli and if_fishes.

If_Fishes, how is the flow in there with the 2236? The 2211 just cuts it for me. Plus im using a SS mesh intake at the moment and it sometimes gunks up and slows flow. I used to have a glass intake as well.... but I broke it
I may want to switch to a slightly bigger mesh for when I add shrimp to postpone the blockages (but still be shrimp baby safe).
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #14
FenderOffset238
Algae Grower

Hey Guys,
Here is an update - I know it's been a while.
I have since re-started injecting CO2 at ~1.5bpm, and only lightly dosing ferts with a solenoid. I've chosen to do so for the sake of learning CO2's effects on breeding CBS. My pH seems to be quite steady in the day/night cycle and my drop checker seems to agree.

I've chosen to start with some A/S grade CBS (as if found a deal in my LFS I couldn't refuse). I purchased 12 of them.
Also I've since added a moonlight/controller to the tank for night viewing. Such a nice feature in a freshwater aquarium! It's my first experience with one.

I mysteriously lost a single chili borara a few days ago, but other than that all fish and shrimp are healthy and doing well.

Some pics (sorry about quality, its an iPhone camera)

Some night time shrimp action.

Some of my chilis
Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOffset238 View Post
Thanks Jegli and if_fishes.

If_Fishes, how is the flow in there with the 2236? The 2211 just cuts it for me. Plus im using a SS mesh intake at the moment and it sometimes gunks up and slows flow. I used to have a glass intake as well.... but I broke it
I may want to switch to a slightly bigger mesh for when I add shrimp to postpone the blockages (but still be shrimp baby safe).
The flow is perfect for this size tank I have the tip pointed up a bit for surface agitation. I do have to keep the strainer and the fine sponge clear of gunk or the flow is greatly decreased.

Your tank is looking great!
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote