Crs - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #46
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunsthure View Post
You can't. I'm having a feeling of deja vu here. I think I've said this before. Biofilm takes months to develop. That's why we ALL recommend waiting at least one month, preferrably 2-3 months, after you finish cycling the tank before adding any shrimp. If you are truly set on keeping Crystal Red Shrimp, let the tank mature for 3 months

Put a few mystery or nerite snails into the tank to keep the cycle alive while you wait 2-3 months for the biofilm to grow. You'll be much more successful if you do.

Please read, read and re-read our advice here. We know what we're talking about and we are doing our best to make sure you're successful. I know how hard it is to wait when you first get into fish- or shrimp-keeping (I've been there and killed a lot of fish, shrimp and snails when I first started because I was impatient). You're excited and you want it all NOW, but patience is the single most important thing when it comes to doing it right in this hobby. When you buy fish, shrimp or snails, you are agreeing to care for real living animals who rely on you 100% to provide the best environment you can for them. People blow off these animals, "oh, they're just fish/shrimp/snails, what's the big deal? It's not like they're puppies or anything." But they're animals just the same and ALL animals deserve the best life their owners can provide for them.

-Lisa
False -.-"

Theoretically there are several ways of improving your biofilm capacity and development...

1. More surface area, more biofilm, so use sponge filters
2. Increase the temperature of the tank, crank it up to 80's
3. Use probiotics (find the right kind)
4. Moss
5. Light up the tank

These can speed up your biofilm growth if done right. I would then toss in a few zebra danio to provide an ammonia source, not the best environment for the fish but it gets the job done.

All in all you'll be looking at a 3 - 5 week cycle.....I toss in my crs right after and they're all fine. I also dosed the tank with Ebi Ken EI (1/2 portion) once every week, my thought to provide a base layer of powder food for shrimp if they do end up in there (who knows if it works).

All in all when the tank was finished, I tossed them in there. All fine and breeding.

Driftwood doesn't jumpstart cycling.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #47
jakevwapp84
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thank you man ive been looking for this kind of answer!! Btw i see your from stony brook im from wellsville
jakevwapp84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #48
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Please don't cycle with fish. It's cruel to expose them to the toxic chemicals in the water. Buy 100% pure ammonia from Ace Hardware (it's the only place you can find ammonia without surfactants and scents) and add a little each day. Google "fishless cycle" to get the full story.

-Lisa
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #49
jakevwapp84
Planted Member

if i add ammonia how long will the cycle take?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #50
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

Please re-read this thread, along with the comment above in blue. It tells you how long a cycle will take.

Also do research on fishless cycling. Read this thread about fishless cycling. Pay close attention to the really long response from Diana.

If you actually do some research about keeping shrimp, you'll have all of these questions answered. But it requires reading and educating yourself. Start with that thread. Then read five or six pages worth of threads here in the shrimp sub-forum. Then check other shrimp-specific sites.

I don't mean to come across as harsh but you ask the same questions repeatedly and I just want to be sure that you get the right information to help you make the decisions that are right for you and the health of your future shrimp.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #51
jakevwapp84
Planted Member

thats fine man im just excited
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #52
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

I promise - literally guarantee - that once you have everything down pat and get your first shrimp in 4-6 weeks, you'll be even more excited.

And maybe even addicted!

It's a super-fun hobby.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #53
jakevwapp84
Planted Member

haha all ive been doing lately is research on this forum
Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #54
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/97%)

just sayin if you can't get ammonia.... just pee in your filter media hahaha. Legit, some people in Europe do that because they can't get ahold of ammonia at the stores.

I agree with lisa. If anything take tank water from another tank with fish currently living in it. In my case i took water from my established RCS tank.

It depends on your tank. Once the water reads 0 for everything and your PH is at 6.5 then your ready. It usually takes 1-2 Months.
aznrice247 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #55
jakevwapp84
Planted Member

Did you pee in your Filter?

Tags
20 gallon tank, crystal red shrimp, invertabrates, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.