Aquatic Gardeners of Florida - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #46
artega
IR1

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Maybe push for the following weekend? Any objections? artega?
Due to my condition we are home all the time (My girl works from home so she can keep an eye on me) unless we go to the grocery store or I have doctor visits or I decided to go spend a week at Dr. Phillips Hospital, so any date is good for us.

Also just because I have health issues if everybody in the club thinks it would be better to get together at different places all the time that is fine with me, I will go with what the majority goes with. But like I stated due to health issues it would be really difficult for me to go as my medication and equipment are here if I need them. That is another reason why I said we would be glad to host all or some just to have a consistent meeting place. It would not be any issue all our friends come here because it is just easier unless they wheel me to Bahama Breeze or Howl :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
jonny black
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice to know ya art, hopefully we can arrange something for ya. And Aqua I really enjoyed your garage. I hope we can do it again soon.

hopefully not to derail to much...

just in from GLA...woot

very impressed with the fast service....think I will be using them more.

on a side note....anybody know how to use the ferts correctly? Or should I email orlando and ask him? I was hoping there would be some kinds of directions or something with them....but no.

thanks guys.

Jb
jonny black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #48
Michiba54
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Maybe push for the following weekend? Any objections? artega?
I know Aben314 said he would be out of the sate for school sometime in mid Aug. so I am fine with you guys having the meeting while I am away if its the last one he will be able to attend for awhile.

Besides I'll be on a tropical island... not like it will be all that bad, lol.

P.S. Jonny, you can get some nice jars at old time pottery casselberry for your ferts.
Michiba54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #49
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Sweet Jb! I'm a big fan of GLA!
Although I'm sort of new to dry ferts, I might be wrong about this. But I think you bought the ferts for EI method (not PPS-Pro). Check the GLA page, they have a writeup of both. Just make sure you got everything needed for the fert regiment you want to use. PPS-Pro is for lazy people like me, you dose daily, water changes are optional. EI is dosing every other day, with mandatory 50% weekly water changes.

Either way, you'll be measuring out the amount needed, then mixing them into a specific amount of boiling water. Try here, should get you started:

PPS-Pro https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro
EI http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...on-Method.html

Also, if you realize you are missing a fert and need to make another order, make sure to buy TWO of these (one for your macro, one for micro):
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...nser-16oz.html

EDIT: Cool Michiba. It really comes down to the host(s) pulling the trigger on a specified date/time at this point.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #50
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Lazy approach for me, sorry. LOL
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #51
jonny black
Algae Grower

thanks bit...didn't realize this was going to be as involved as it is....I hope I can make sense of it.....right now I am having trouble with it. But its prolly cause I worked all night and need to go to bed.....arg, sleeping in the day kills me.

anyway...this is what I ordered
the package

I see some of the same stuff, in your pps pro...I notice it mentions trace element...what would I use as one?

my 10gal seems to be doing well...my 55 is struggling, but seems to be doing better since I went to 2wpg. I guess I had to much light. the plants that oscar and aqua gave me are doing well..but I know things could be doing better. I really want this 55 to sing. I want it to make me cry when I look into it lol...kidding

beside I figure in the 55gal if I am off on the ferts a bit....that the tank will be a little more forgiving.

thanks for all the help

Jb
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #52
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

If you want to do the PPS-Pro, you'll need Magnesium Sulfate also (I don't know why it's not in the pack), and 2 mixing bottles:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...m-sulfate.html
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...nser-32oz.html

Then the PPS link again: https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro

Read it over a handful of times, it's not easy lol.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #53
jonny black
Algae Grower

ok...just ordered the magnesium and 2 bottles.

and finely figured out that CSM + B is my trace element....guess I need to get a digital scale now...lol

thanks dude

Jb
Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #54
jonny black
Algae Grower

oh..quick question...since we are using 500ml bottles...which is .5 a ltr...then the ferts weight will be half also....correct?

for some reason when I try to put it in that xl thing..it wont let me. just stays at 1ltr

Jb
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #55
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

Actually, go back to the PPS page and click the graphic. It's linked to a microsoft excel file that allows you to mess with the input. So although I got the big bottles, I only mixed about 12 ounces of solution. I have smaller tanks, plus the ferts will grow mold after a while (adding some drops of Flourish Excel should help from growing mold).

EDIT: is the XL file not working? Plus, we are really ruining this thread.... lol

Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #56
AquaCentral
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/83%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artega View Post
I am all for being in a local club and getting to know fellow fish and plant keepers that are local, my problem would be the going to different houses to meet up. I would not be able to do that due to my health conditions, which is why I offered my place as a consistent place to meet up. If you knew me better you would understand where I am coming from when I say I would not be able to go to a new place every time we meet. I am medically unable to work or drive for that matter due to one of the conditions I have.

I am interested in some more live plants. I don't remember who it was that has alot of plants (AquaCentral maybe) so I will direct this to all of you lol, but I could use some ideas on some plants for my tanks if you would be so kind as to throw out some ideas as I am a newcomer to live plants. If you have extra I would gladly pay you for some. I can provide pics of the tanks or if you wanted to you could come by the house and look at our setups then give me some ideas.
I just formed a nice package deal I've been throwing around Craigslist. I still have plenty to work with, so if you want it, I'll put it together for you. Also, I have tons of separate stems if you are interested in a specific piece. Check it out: http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/3129385644.html

I haven't updated my site in a while, so ask away.
AquaCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #57
jonny black
Algae Grower

oh gawds what have I done....I am so upset right now...I have been fighting a pest snail problem in my 10gl since it began. so I finally broke down and got no planiera for it...dosed it last night...no problem...looked today..didnt see much progress...but eh..whatever...dosed again...no problem.

decided since I was about a day late..to hit it with a half a cape of flourish excel...didnt see any reason not to, but within minutes..the shrimp started to react....swimming all over...thought it was neat at first...but then the little ones started drifting down...like upside down...I knew that was a problem. so I did an immediate 25% WC...let it settle for a little bit....then did another. they are still in bad shape....I took a big bowl full of water from my other tank...and put as many as I could in it.

please please I am praying some of them survive....I think I really messed up.....very sad right now...very.

jb
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #58
AquaCentral
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/83%)

Jeez yeah shrimp are so sensitive, especially in such a small tank, and be careful when you do breakdowns, it can cause a cycle to spike if you disturb your bio media.
Just keep in mind you're still learning and I think everyone on this forum can agree we've gone through loss and moments where we slapped ourselves and thought "WHY would I do such a STUPID thing!?"

It sucks when you lose livestock because you immediately feel incompetent, but you have to have failures to learn.
My sister has a shrimp business locally and she's told me about entire shrimpments they got in that just freaked out after acclimation, dropping their berries and attempting to crawl out of the water. It was costly and painful, but you learn so much from it.
Don't be discouraged. It was only a couple of weeks ago when my gudgeons spawned one evening and I was silly enough to wait until the morning to remove the eggs, sure enough the morning revealed every last egg was in the belly of some ferocious snails.

On a different note, I've had a name change request that I'm sure everyone will be okay with--- change Florida Aquatic Gardeners to Aquatic Gardeners of Florida.
AquaCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #59
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Name change is fine so long as the acronym does not make people look at me funny.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #60
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

Jb, we all lose shrimp, just last week I lost 3 Amano and 10 Fire Yellow Shrimp.
Shrimp come and go though, and we learn how to better take care of them.
Plus, hopefully by our next meeting, I'll have some Red Rili Babies!