fish to go outdoor - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #16
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
Put a small heater in the tank for winter and keep white clouds they'll be super stoked
The tank would not survive winter in CheeseLand, let alone the fish.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
Gsneufeld
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Okay Bettas are NOT coldwater or even subtropical fish. They'll die outside. The temperature probably won't kill him unless it drops below 68, but Bettas and Gouramis natural habitats are warm very humid marshes and wetlands. Their labyrinth organ they use to breathe air will be damaged from the cold night air and they'll die from pneumonia-like illness. So unless you happen to live in a tropical rainforest or something, that's out.

I second the person who said WCMM, they are great at mosquito control I hear... And I've never found them to be very sensitive to warmer temperatures. On hot days the temp in my Betta wcmm tank rises to mid 80s and i havent lost any

33G Cleithracara maronii [x1] Pterophyllum scalare Peruvian Red Spotted [x5] Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis [x8] Hemigrammus rodwayi [x8] Ancistrus cf cirrhosus [x1]
20G Betta splendens [x1] Tanichthys albonubes White Cloud [x7] 'Gold Cloud' [x3] Caridina multidentata [x2] Clea helena [x7] Planorbarius corneus [x101]
20G Corydoras pygmaeus [x20] Corydoras paleatus [x5] Corydoras panda [x3]
10G Neocaridinia denticula sinesis Red Cherry[x25] Caridina cantonensis Blue Tiger[x3]
Gsneufeld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
Sierra255
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a question along these same lines, but I live in a completely different climate - between Houston and Galveston. I want to start growing some algae on some rocks for my plecos and my shrimp in a ~2 gallon planter I have. Would there be a good fish to put in there to help control mosquitoes? This is a bad enough problem at times without me contributing to it. The planter will get full sun and air temps will range from lower 70s to over 100 during the summer, which will be through September. Also, with the full sun, will it just be too big of a problem to bother with fish? I imagine the algae growth will be pretty quick.
Sierra255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra255 View Post
I have a question along these same lines, but I live in a completely different climate - between Houston and Galveston. I want to start growing some algae on some rocks for my plecos and my shrimp in a ~2 gallon planter I have. Would there be a good fish to put in there to help control mosquitoes? This is a bad enough problem at times without me contributing to it. The planter will get full sun and air temps will range from lower 70s to over 100 during the summer, which will be through September. Also, with the full sun, will it just be too big of a problem to bother with fish? I imagine the algae growth will be pretty quick.
Just change the water every few days (completely dump it out), and you won't have issues with bugs. It takes about 10 days for mosquitoes to grow into adults, so at least once a week water changes would work fine with something that small.
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Sierra: Mosquito netting over the tank is better than expecting fish to live in the full sun in Texas. The water will get WAY too hot for almost any kind of fish.

Anywhere that anyone wants to keep fish outdoors:

Larger volumes of water will maintain a more stable temperature than smaller volumes. 100 gallons may work in a situation where anything smaller over heats. Aerate the water for best oxygen levels. A pump set up to create a flume does this very well, and water falls or short streams that expose the water to more air are very good, too. This can also allow for evaporation that can cool the tank.

Monitor the temperature and provide shade to keep it cooler in the summer. Perhaps under the shade of a tree, or arrange an umbrella or a shade cloth for the hottest part of the day.

If it freezes in the winter the glass or plastic tank may break. Do not leave it out. Obviously, this also means housing the fish indoors in the cool season.

There are laws about catching and keeping native fish. Be familiar with them. Each state varies, and each country varies.
Even so, native fish live in much larger bodies of water, and can swim down to cooler water if the surface of the lake warms too much, and a warmer pocket in the winter. An aquarium does not provide that sort of protection. So, just because a fish is adapted to your climate does not mean it will live in a more extreme variation of that climate.
A pond, which is sunken in the ground, is better insulated for protection from temperature changes.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Sierra255 - I agree will a simple water dump once a week, Then refill with W/C water from a indoor tank to feed your algae.

Mosquito larva can't survive if you have surface tension. That can be done with an Air Pump if you have outside power access.

I have a Hydroponic DWB going outside. I run the power cord / pump connection and placed it on a 1/2 a brick to get it off the ground. Then covered it with a smail 1 gal pail. Placed a rock on top. That's an old Pond keeper trick. You can of course use something nicer looking like a Flower Pot.

A third option is to harvest the Mosquito lava every few days with a brine shrimp net ands feed that to your fish. We're in a drought up here this year and we're not having Mosquito problems like usual. I've actually been hoping to find some Mosquito larva in my 40 emersed outdoor tank to feed to my Rams.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
Sierra255
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds good. Water changes it is then. I didn't think there would be any fish that would work, but thought I would check with this wonderful community anyway. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
Sierra255
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
A third option is to harvest the Mosquito lava every few days with a brine shrimp net ands feed that to your fish.
Ooooh, I love this idea. I have a 55 gallon full of tetras that should go absolutely bonkers over some live mosquito larvae. Now, to get a brine shrimp net.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

They will love it! With a fine net like for brine shrimp you even get the newly hatched larva. Last year that was pretty much the only thing I feed my Beta. What he didn't eat immediately he hunted the rest of the day.

Even if you don't see wigglers, run the water through the net. The new hatched lava are only the sizer of a grain of salt. But, your tetras will find them just fine.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #25
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

This sounds like a time to do it simple while you decide what fish you might like. What's the local bait fish? Shad? It is likely there are a number of really cheap bait fish which would fit. At the end of the season, you can make the decision of what to do with them. Bring them in or do with them what would be their fate if left as bait fish. One should not fall into the trap of considering fish as anything more nor less than entertainment. It's a mean cruel world and some are destined to be eaten!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Summer is almost over, its already july.
to late to put fish outside unless the fishs are cold water fish such a goldfish but still i wouldn't do anything below 70F.

a heater is your best friend.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #27
steven p
Wannabe Guru

I had fancy guppies outside this spring, hardy fish. Were fine with 100 degree heat and 40 degree nights...
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #28
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
Summer is almost over, its already july.
to late to put fish outside unless the fishs are cold water fish such a goldfish but still i wouldn't do anything below 70F.

a heater is your best friend.
Maybe in N.E it's to late.

Here we had 80+ days 'till Oct.

Of course do have a heater in my Outside barrel pond. I plant to run it until we get consistent 40degree nights
Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #29
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I mow grass in December! My 16 foot pool is running 94 degrees. That makes it really hard to find a fish for a small tank. They tell us in this area the mosquitoes can mature in 24 hours!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #30
Gsneufeld
Algae Grower

Yeah 94 is too high for pretty much any fish... Maybe angels could take the heat? a trick i've heard for keeping outdoor ponds cool in the summer: you know those big ice cream tubs? Get a couple, fill them with water and put both in the freezer, pop one of the frozen buckets in the pond, and switch them when the old one melts.

33G Cleithracara maronii [x1] Pterophyllum scalare Peruvian Red Spotted [x5] Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis [x8] Hemigrammus rodwayi [x8] Ancistrus cf cirrhosus [x1]
20G Betta splendens [x1] Tanichthys albonubes White Cloud [x7] 'Gold Cloud' [x3] Caridina multidentata [x2] Clea helena [x7] Planorbarius corneus [x101]
20G Corydoras pygmaeus [x20] Corydoras paleatus [x5] Corydoras panda [x3]
10G Neocaridinia denticula sinesis Red Cherry[x25] Caridina cantonensis Blue Tiger[x3]
Gsneufeld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.