Changes to the S&S, PowerSellers/Sponsors Forums - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > The Planted Tank Information > Important Update/Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Only sponsors can link in there signatures, also with no bumping or mindless chatter in threads plus being FS only in that section posts shouldn't disappear off the first page in a matter of hours as it does here now.
Makes sense. If a thread "expires" after 10 days, can we link to an expired thread in another post?
kevmo911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

As a buyer and never a seller, I really like the "no bumps". I think it will give every seller a better chance at being seen.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Makes sense. If a thread "expires" after 10 days, can we link to an expired thread in another post?
No, in short.

That's a form of advertising.
mistergreen is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #19
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
No, in short.

That's a form of advertising.
I agree, but couldn't the same be said about linking to an un-expired thread (I'm assuming we're allowed to link to an un-expired thread in another post)?

I think this change may end up being a really neat, simple fix, and I'm in full support of it. Just looking for some clarification
kevmo911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I agree, but couldn't the same be said about linking to an un-expired thread (I'm assuming we're allowed to link to an un-expired thread in another post)?
Where does it say that? Only sponsors are allow to link.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #21
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

There is good and bad with any change. It will likely negatively and positively affect many members here. I support this decision but agree there will be an acclimation period.
Power sellers have the opportunity to be hurt the most by this as it seems to have become a little more commercial even for some who are still just one person with an awesome grow room.

I hope this works as planned
Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #22
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
I like the new guidelines. When I check in on the forum I usually do a 'Quick Links' - 'Today's Posts' and go down the page. Lately 25%-40% of the posts are from the SNS/Power Sellers sub-forums which is fine if I am looking for new plants but most of the time I am looking for interesting subjects or discussions which means I have to weed through a lot of irrelevant stuff.
Great!

A positive we really did not completely foresee.

Last edited by Momotaro; 07-08-2012 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: Sp.
Momotaro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Am I understanding this correctly? If I list a LED light in the FS forum, I cannot link to it in the Lighting forum? Can I link to the Lighting forum in my FS ad? I have no opinion about this, I just want to understand it. This will be a new S n S experience, and I look forward to it.

What if I want to find people who want to buy a "Laser Plant Stimulator", which I would make to fit their tank - would that be an acceptable FS ad?

Last edited by Hoppy; 07-08-2012 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: Another question
Hoppy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #24
cookymonster760
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/90%)

this makes stuff a lot more easier and more fair however i liked seeing my name in purple oh well yellow will have to do thanks for helping the hobby guys
cookymonster760 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #25
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
There is good and bad with any change. It will likely negatively and positively affect many members here. I support this decision but agree there will be an acclimation period.
Power sellers have the opportunity to be hurt the most by this as it seems to have become a little more commercial even for some who are still just one person with an awesome grow room.

I hope this works as planned
There will be no more power sellers. This group is getting phased out completely. The Swap and Shop was always intended for hobbyists and not for commercial sales.

We did have a trial run with the new system and once you get used to it, it is far superior to what is in place at the moment. I think most will like it and those that don't will adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Am I understanding this correctly? If I list a LED light in the FS forum, I cannot link to it in the Lighting forum? Can I link to the Lighting forum in my FS ad? I have no opinion about this, I just want to understand it. This will be a new S n S experience, and I look forward to it.

What if I want to find people who want to buy a "Laser Plant Stimulator", which I would make to fit their tank - would that be an acceptable FS ad?
Yes. No links outside of IMG links are allowed in the new system. It'll be an adjustment for many I'm sure. And that would be an acceptable FS ad as it is related to aquatics. Maybe the fish would like the laser to chase as well.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #26
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)

Just confirming that as a Bronze user, I can only post 2 sales per month and not 3 like I can currently?
pweifan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #27
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (216/100%)

I think this is a fair change. It would work similar to craigslist. No bumps and expires after a week.
herns is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #28
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
There will be no more power sellers. This group is getting phased out completely. The Swap and Shop was always intended for hobbyists and not for commercial sales.

We did have a trial run with the new system and once you get used to it, it is far superior to what is in place at the moment. I think most will like it and those that don't will adapt.

Yes. No links outside of IMG links are allowed in the new system. It'll be an adjustment for many I'm sure. And that would be an acceptable FS ad as it is related to aquatics. Maybe the fish would like the laser to chase as well.
Is there a limit on how much verbiage is in the listing? For example, if I want to extol the virtues of my "Laser Plant Stimulator" can I use several paragraphs of purple prose, with testimonials? (I'm not just joking - plants can be listed in one sentence, as can most aquarium equipment, but how about the DIY PAR meters recently sold, which could have taken several paragraphs to describe well.)

Again, I'm not complaining at all, just trying to understand what the restrictions are.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #29
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Is there a limit on how much verbiage is in the listing? For example, if I want to extol the virtues of my "Laser Plant Stimulator" can I use several paragraphs of purple prose, with testimonials? (I'm not just joking - plants can be listed in one sentence, as can most aquarium equipment, but how about the DIY PAR meters recently sold, which could have taken several paragraphs to describe well.)

Again, I'm not complaining at all, just trying to understand what the restrictions are.
I want one of your laser plant stimulator! Sounds awesome.

There is no limit on the length or list of items you can sell. We also will no longer ask people to upgrade their status based on what and how much they sell. We let the user decide what is best for them.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 AM   #30
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
Just confirming that as a Bronze user, I can only post 2 sales per month and not 3 like I can currently?
Correct. To have 3 Sales/Trade threads, you'll need to be a silver member. But you can add items to the threads until the 10 days expire. RAOKs and WTB will still be unlimited.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.