Changes to the S&S, PowerSellers/Sponsors Forums - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > The Planted Tank Information > Important Update/Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #151
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

The TPT search button does provide a list of threads. Most of the time, I find the list short or "not as smart compared to Google Search results". I find it helpful by just remembering who posted the thread. Then I would search the threads of that particular person and find exactly what I want to review.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #152
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusdowny View Post
It would be great if the SNS part can be further divided into: quipments, plants etc. My concern is that each day there are quite a huge number of new threads posted. With only Sale, WTB & ROAK (right), people might have hard times searching for things that they need.
WTB and RAOK will have their own forum with unlimited bumps and postings so they won't even be in teh same list. Only FS items will be in this list.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #153
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Thanks for addressing those concerns Kyle And double the amount of PM's
h4n is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #154
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

I'm still not a fan of the 10 day thing. I'm glad we'll be able to edit the first post, but if we can do that, we should be able to change the title to reflect what's currently available. I ran into this problem with my FS thread. My title said I had filters, anubias, crypts, windelovs and pellia FS (I *hate* thread titles that aren't specific). I updated what I could in the first thread for the 24 hours, but people don't always scroll down so I kept getting "Is the SunSun" PMs still available for two weeks after it was sold. I can just imagine that happening for 21 days til the thread expires. If we could edit the full thread and title for the full 31 days (it should be 28, IMO), we could save both seller and buyer a lot of hassle.

-Lisa

Last edited by Kunsthure; 07-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Changing stuff.
Kunsthure is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #155
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You can edit it as sold within the ten day period. After that you can mark the post/thread 'SOLD' or just deal with some extra PMs. Supporting membership isn't very expensive, helps fund the TPT forum hosting expenses and also gives you more sales threads/month

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #156
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

If the title is editable, people will be less prone to send feedback. Also, if a member has an issue, we can easily go back and easily find the thread and check out the edited posts. Since you will have the ability to edit the post for the 10 days, there is no reason not to remove the SunSun from the list once you sell it. People don't pm for things they can no longer see listed. If you are selling filters and plants, then be generic, say "Filter and plants" instead of "filter and x, y, z plants."

I really think the majority of you will really like the new system. We had a group of regular members test it out and they loved the changes. It'll be much easier to see what is and is not available.

As far as your concerns about still receiving pms, I don't see this as a big issue. I recently received a pm asking for a plant even though I wasn't selling any and haven't listed it in several months. It took me seconds to reply "Sorry, I have none at this time." When I was selling yellow shrimp, I still received pms after I marked the sales thread as sold. I was sure to reply politely to each of the messages. After all, when shrimp become available again, wouldn't it be wise to be known as the person that took the time to say "Sorry, I'm all out." instead of the one that doesn't bother to reply? It also helps you meet new people on the site that you might find you have a lot in common.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #157
darkestsky
Sponsor

PTrader: (99/100%)

I'm really pleased with these changes. I've been on TPT for quite a while, first as a hobbyist and more recently as a sponsor. I've always tried to keep my sale threads at a minimum and have never been a big fan of the "bump or it's gone" climate of the current sponsor/powersellers ans sns sections.

I've always found the incessant bumping of those threads to be obnoxious. It's like seeing that same commercial on TV twice every commercial break.

Looking forward to the changes.
To view our complete line of shrimp, fish, and planted aquarium goodies, visit our sponsor's forum at:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/so...-oak-aquatics/
Or our website at:
http://www.southernoakaquatics.com
darkestsky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #158
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

This may be a silly question, but what kind of changes can we expect to the Canada SnS? Because there are so few of us around to use it and the ads often get responses months after they are posted, I don't think that a 10 day expiration date is necessarily "fair" and managing 2 separate sections for the amount of ads in it seems like more hassle for the mods than it's worth. Could the Canada SnS possibly remain the same for simplicity's sake? I do think that we still need to have a dedicated separate SnS for Canadian members because any of our seller/buyer threads would very quickly get buried in the general ones, that's for certain. Thanks for your time!
SomeCanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #159
rainbuilder
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)

So far this system sounds pretty good. It makes it a lot more fair that people won't get their post bumped away from the front page in a few hours. I can't wait to see it in action. The only part that I don't like is that you can't edit the post for the full 30 days.
RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91
45 gallon hexagon 'Smooth Hillside'
rainbuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #160
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbuilder View Post
So far this system sounds pretty good. It makes it a lot more fair that people won't get their post bumped away from the front page in a few hours. I can't wait to see it in action. The only part that I don't like is that you can't edit the post for the full 30 days.
Good comment.

What's the reason why editing can't be done for the entire 30 day period?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #161
Keyboard Aquatics
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleT View Post
I just wanted to clarify and re-mention a couple of items I've seen asked multiple times or that have been unanswered.
  • Concerns about threads disappearing off of the first page: This should not be an issue. With no bumps allowed off topic chatter, friendly bumps and other discussions will no longer give certain threads preference over others. This completely levels the playing field.
  • It is true that less sales threads are now being allowed for supporting members but we are no longer requiring members to upgrade due to their selling activity, there is no limit on how many items you can post in a thread and you can add as many items as you want in a 10 day window after initial posting.
  • Clarification on Transition: The *Old* Swap N Shop will be locked to new threads and replies when the new section is open. The *Old" Swap N Shop threads will remain for a minimum of 60 days to allow in progress transactions to complete. After which we will remove the listings from the main forum.
  • Marking as Sold After 10 days: Even though threads cannot be edited after 10 days, they can be marked as sold for 30 days.
  • PM Space : I can understand the concern with a severe downgrade in PM space. I will double the amount of storage for all supporting members. So Bronze will have 2000, Silver 3000, and Gold 4000.
  • We already are pushing the limit on the number of Sponsors we have. Power Sellers that are considering an upgrade to Sponsor (v. Gold) will have to contact myself via PM. We are going to be very selective about who we allow as Sponsors and even then there will more than likely be a waiting list.
I'm currently inundated with Pm's so if I don't get back to you right away please forgive me. I will soon.

Hi,

Thank you Kyle,

We are pleased to see that some of the concerns are getting handled. It was discouraging to see people mention the same concerns only to be meet at the door with a quick reply that doesn't change anything.

Thank you TPT.net for listening and fixing.

Kyle we are sure your heavily inundated with Pm's. We are patiently waiting for your reply.

Sincerely,
Keyboard Aquatics
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #162
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I really like the changes minus one thing, the uneditable titles. I understand that it is significantly more difficult from a moderating standpoint if you can change the title, but I am very concerned that many people will simply use extremely vague titles. For example, how easy would it be to find a specific species if everything under the plant header had the same title? I forsee many people simply using "Plants" or even "Stuff" as their title to not limit the audience. IMO titles almost need to be editable.

Yes, I am aware of the search feature, but I, like many others I assume, simply browse the SnS, not looking for anything in particular.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #163
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't seen pre-sales threads anymore. Has TPT already enforced the 'no presale thread'? I don't do presale thread, never had and never will. I'm not comfortable with speculative business ventures.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #164
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post
I really like the changes minus one thing, the uneditable titles. I understand that it is significantly more difficult from a moderating standpoint if you can change the title, but I am very concerned that many people will simply use extremely vague titles. For example, how easy would it be to find a specific species if everything under the plant header had the same title? I forsee many people simply using "Plants" or even "Stuff" as their title to not limit the audience. IMO titles almost need to be editable.

Yes, I am aware of the search feature, but I, like many others I assume, simply browse the SnS, not looking for anything in particular.
I can volunteer as a Title Moderator, it might lessen the work load of our current Moderators.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #165
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post

That is a good point to make, h2oaggie on the generic titles popping up. The intent was to make it easier to leave feedback and easily track changes. That will be something worth re-evaluating. I'm not making any promises, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
I haven't seen pre-sales threads anymore. Has TPT already enforced the 'no presale thread'? I don't do presale thread, never had and never will. I'm not comfortable with speculative business ventures.
They've been against policy for years. On a extremely rare occasion, Kyle has allowed them, but that isn't likely going to be an option any time in the future. There were just too many issues with them in the past and it was decided to no longer allow them to protect our members. If we see them, we close them down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.