Any other oddballs like the Malawa and Amano that don't interbreed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Any other oddballs like the Malawa and Amano that don't interbreed?

As the title implies, wondering if there is such a thing? I've been digging around over the past month looking at different shrimp for different tanks and I know the golden rule is Neocaridina's with Caridinas, and not with each other etc... as they interbreed and produce mutts.

Then I noticed Sulawesi Malawa shrimp which don't seem to interbreed with anything, and the Amano which only breeds in brackish so it can be kept with the others. Are there any other oddballs like those that can be kept with basically any other type of shrimp?

I've seen a few good lists, but most I've found are a little outdated (don't have the newest breeds) or are missing something.
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Caridina Babaulti and Blue Bee shrimp.

There have been some rare cases of Blue bee interbreeding (paracaridina) but it won't happen 99% of the time.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Orange sunkist (formerly C. propinqua, though I believe the species was recently renamed) and opae ula (Halocaridina rubra) are two more. The propinquas are about the size of an amano and have similar breeding habits. They're hardy in a variety of water conditions as well. Opae ula are a tiny Hawaiian shrimp that are technically brackish but can survive in all sorts of crazy conditions. They also need brackish for successful reproduction.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

So far we have...

Malawa
Amano
Caridina Babaulti
Blue Bee shrimp
Orange sunkist
Opae ula

I'm sure there are more, I'm interested in keeping this an ongoing thing so anyone that has any more information, please feel free to add to this.

Thanks for the info thus far
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Alpha Pro Breeders
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolhandLocke View Post
As the title implies, wondering if there is such a thing? I've been digging around over the past month looking at different shrimp for different tanks and I know the golden rule is Neocaridina's with Caridinas, and not with each other etc... as they interbreed and produce mutts.

Then I noticed Sulawesi Malawa shrimp which don't seem to interbreed with anything, and the Amano which only breeds in brackish so it can be kept with the others. Are there any other oddballs like those that can be kept with basically any other type of shrimp?

I've seen a few good lists, but most I've found are a little outdated (don't have the newest breeds) or are missing something.
Have you tried clicking on the complete breeding chart link just above our chart in Planet inverts site. It takes a little while to load but is very complete. Here is the complete chart
http://www.planetinverts.com/ShrimpBreedingChart.pdf
Alpha Pro Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amano, interbreed, malawa, shrimp