Fluval flora kit
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
fishmagnet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval flora kit

LFS has these on sale for 89.99 , sems like a good deal.It comes with all the goodies ...was wondering if this would be a good tank for a newbie like me?
I was thinking of also dabbling with some shrimp would this set up allow me to do moderate plants as well as shrimp?
Thanks
fishmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

The Flora comes with a CO2 setup however from what I've seen on this forum the CO2 replacement cartridges get to be really expensive. If you are serious about shrimp you can also take a look the the Fluval Ebi which is basically the same setup as the flora except more tuned towards shrimp.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
The Flora comes with a CO2 setup however from what I've seen on this forum the CO2 replacement cartridges get to be really expensive. If you are serious about shrimp you can also take a look the the Fluval Ebi which is basically the same setup as the flora except more tuned towards shrimp.
Yea the co2 system that comes with the flora sucks. The ebi should also be lower priced than the flora, comes with the same light, a smaller grain of the same substrate. Better deal in my opinion.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Plantlet
Algae Grower

The EBI uses shrimp substrate, says its better for them. Pretty sure its not the same thing, because it doesn't come with all the fertilizers. It does come in a smaller grain as the user above me mentioned. The EBI is also $10.00 less than the Flora at Petsmart. Thats pretty much just because it doesn't come with the Stratum/CO2.
Plantlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

The Flora kit doesn't come with any fertilizer and the substrate is the same - just a larger grain - for sure.

The only thing it includes that the Ebi does not is a really awful and eventually way too expensive CO2 system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantlet View Post
The EBI uses shrimp substrate, says its better for them. Pretty sure its not the same thing, because it doesn't come with all the fertilizers. It does come in a smaller grain as the user above me mentioned. The EBI is also $10.00 less than the Flora at Petsmart. Thats pretty much just because it doesn't come with the Stratum/CO2.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
FreshPuff
Algae Grower

I was given a Fluval Flora for my birthday last year and it's what started my obsession with aquascaping! Honestly the tank itself is pretty nice. The front rounded edges give the tank a unique aesthetic quality The co2 system that comes with it tends to be a pain in the butt because you have to manually refill the clear plastic thing that goes in the water at least 2x a day to get adequate co2 in the water column. Definitely not the most efficient way of doing it either. And not to mention, 1 co2 canister will last you about 3 weeks at most. If you add up the cost of those canisters you will see its not cheap. The substrate is not too bad as long as you fertilize. I had a hard time keeping fine rooted plants such as HC and hairgrass down in the substrate though because its somewhat light. But once rooted, the plants took off! The light is only 13watt so if you do go through with bying the setup I recommend purchasing an additional light such as a Finnex 26watt refugium light so you can grow pretty much anything you would like!
FreshPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
FreshPuff
Algae Grower

I forgot to mention, the foam backing tends to pop off. It happened to me and it made a mess. I definitely recommend taking it off.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would definately look into other "kits." Great idea for the novice but ends up being impractical like everyone said. In fact, I recommend against it in my up and coming website (check my sig), and would recommend you check out an Eheim "kit" instead. Amazon's price fluctuates (weird and I don't know why), but I got the Eheim aquastyle 6 gallon kit for as low as $63; I now have five of 'em.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I'm not entirely sure how the Fluval Flora/Ebi is impractical, as there are tons of folks here on this very forum who use it with ease and joy.

The Flora's CO2 kit is sub-par, to say the least, but that's about it.

It's one of the easiest to modify kits on the market, additional lights can be added with ease, it's sturdy, allows the growth of taller stems, et al. So it can be very practical for the average planted tanker interested in a rimless cube that includes a glass top, lighting, filter (which is okay for some, not for me) and substrate for usually less than $100.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 07-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 07-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
fishmagnet
Algae Grower

Ok ....some conflicting reports...i have an empty 55 gal , I think I will just dive in head first and get that set up to be planted.
fishmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I'm not entirely sure how the Fluval Flora/Ebi is impractical, as there are tons of folks here on this very forum who use it with ease and joy.

The Flora's CO2 kit is sub-par, to say the least, but that's about it.

It's one of the easiest to modify kits on the market, additional lights can be added with ease, it's sturdy, allows the growth of taller stems, et al. So it can be very practical for the average planted tanker interested in a rimless cube that includes a glass top, lighting, filter (which is okay for some, not for me) and substrate for usually less than $100.
You're right, impractical was a poor choice of word on my part. I just think there are better "kits" that your money could go towards instead, in a market which will only continue to grow and improve. I was thinking the CO2 system is somewhat impractical due to being constantly on and having to manually turn it on and off each day; not to mention the costs being greater in the long run vs. a 5lb tank system.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I got my Fluval Flora tank for Christmas and love it. The light does a great job, I have yet to find anything that doesn't grow well in it. I also haven't had an issue with the background popping off. I highly dislike the co2 that it comes with, and instead started doing diy co2 which works very well in the size of the tank. It's a little hard to really plant things into the stratum substrate too, but you get the hang out of pretty quick.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
FreshPuff
Algae Grower

Stock light fixture is only suitable for low light plants, nothing more.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Unless you add additional lamps, which are just $20ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
Stock light fixture is only suitable for low light plants, nothing more.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
Plantlet
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The Flora kit doesn't come with any fertilizer and the substrate is the same - just a larger grain - for sure.

The only thing it includes that the Ebi does not is a really awful and eventually way too expensive CO2 system.
Flora comes with FloraMax or GroMax liquid fert or something like that.
Plantlet is offline   Reply With Quote