Tharsis' 75 gallon - The Rhode Island Chapter - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #31
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Whoa update! Those rocks got mighty green from the algae ! Got some good growth as well! So now you're using two canisters on this tank? I see 4 pipes :O!!

Finally gonna use the DW you sent me a long whiles back. I bought a 20L from the petco $1/gal sale
haha, yeah they certainly did. I kinda like it, makes it looked more weathered.

Yeah I have the fluval and the sunsun. They are both point slightly up so i am getting good surface agitation and a nice slow flow throughout.

Looking forward to seeing your tank with the DW!

I miss driftwood...i like the rocks but I think I prefer driftwood. I put a 20 gallon tank together over the weekend using the same rocks and style as this tank and all I was thinking was I wish I had driftwood haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #32
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

So I was just sitting at work...staring at the wall pondering what to do with this tank. It still doesn't have any livestock in it and I am getting bored with it.

I want lots of color and lots of largeish fish...so I thought why not do some african cichlids.

I think I will take out all the stems and leave the anubias on the rocks. They are well rooted to the rocks by now so they are secure. So I will have just sand substrate, the rock piles with the anubias and a whole bunch of cichlids. I will add a bit more rock to get more hiding places.

I am excited haha, will need to do some research on which cichlids to get.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #33
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Got my first fish for this tank today.

An electric yellow lab. Nice little fish, I look forward to adding more.

Here is a pic of the tank as it looks now, just anubias with some moss and java fern slowly spreading. I added lots of caves and nooks and crannies in the rocks. I think I am going to want to put in black sand instead of the play sand to make the colors pop a bit more.

And here is a pic of the fish.

I am excited for the color and activity that these fish will bring to the tank. I still don't really know what ciclids will Mbuna cichlids will be compatible with each other so the rest of the fish are still up in the air. I am a little nervous about getting fish from the 'mixed african cichlid' tanks because they are so interbred, you never know what you are really gettting.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #34
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Looks awesome fellow Rhode islander! have u thought about doing any foreground plants? but love the hard scape, def might be a good idea to switch to black sand could make everything stand out much more like you said, but as it sits now looks very natural.
marioman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #35
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Hey thanks!

Good to find some local people haha.

I took out the HM from the foreground for a few reasons, the 1st is I thought that the cichlids would tear it to shreds (I figured any rooted plants would not be very successful with these fish), and the second was that I wanted to use the HM for my other 20L and the third is that I wanted to keep the hardscape clean and more representative of their habitat (although anubias aren't very accurate haha).

The more I think about it, the more I want black sand, i think I will get a bag of the black diamond stuff.

So I am fairly new to the area and I am still trying to find a good LFS...any suggestions? I like the place on wikendon in college hill and I was not too impressed with RI pet and aquarium.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #36
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

yea auqa life in prov is fantastic, probably the best in RI, but Critter Hut in North Kingstown is a close second, they have a very good selection of plants and fish and lots of different equipment. its the only place locally i can find eco-complete or fluorite lol id go take a look there. Rumford Pet Center use to have a massive aquarium section but they got rid of the whole thing a couple months ago and only sell betas now :/
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #37
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I think I will check out critter hut soon, it is just hard to justify driving 25 minutes if I am not going to buy something haha.

I got some more cichlids from aqualife yesterday, I am really liking their colors. I will probably aim for about 20 cichlids in this tank so I am a quarter of the way there.

LOTSA PICS!!!!!!

FTS:

Glamour shots:

Action shots:

Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #38
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

The tank is doing good, I added a bunch more cichlids to the tank, I also added an albino bristlenose pleco to the mix.

I had to raise my light up though because I am starting to get algae on the leaves. I also blew a ballast a couple days ago, I think some dog hair or something got in and caused a short circuit. I was in the other room and I started to hear a loud crackle, I ran into the dining room and saw the puff of blue smoke coming out of the ballast. I was pretty pissed to say the least... but in the end it will probably be fine, 2 T5HO bulbs over this tank should be more than enough light. It will just take some getting used to the dimmer lighting. I will probably end up stringing a few 3W LED's together though to add a bit more pop (I am thinking some 10000K's and some Royal Blues).

I finally got a lens for my camera so I have been taking tons of photos of the tank and the pics...please indulge me

FTS:

FTS with slow shutter speed...I call it the ghost shot

An overprocessed FTS

Semi FTS shots

This is the blarney stone, I call it that because the orange guy is always nibbling on it.

This guy was nibbling at the algae on the glass

Thanks for looking at all the pics haha. I am liking this camera (Nikon D3100 with a stock 18-55 Nikkor Lens) but I am already wanting a higher end lens. I just can't get the pics of the fish crisp enough.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
halffrozen
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Play with the Motion/movement setting on the dial, and then try and mimic those same ones on Manual mode, but with a faster Shutter Speed.

That is how I get decently crisp pictures, though... it all depends on how well you know the camera... I have my shoots with my D3200 where I take amazing pictures, then I just don't... lol

75 gallon Bolivian Ram tank Journal
halffrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Tank looks awesome! I really like the change to an African Cichlid tank. I love the sand, stones, and small plants in the stone
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #41
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks great! my fav lens is the 50mm 1.8f probly the sharpest pictures out of the lens.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #42
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Love the look, I did the ghost shot on my reef tank with a 15 second exposure. Have fun with the new camera.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #43
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)

The anubias is looking awesome
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #44
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Lookin good man! I would keep the sand as it is. The light color with the lighter colored stones works well. Besides it looks like the colors are popping just fine
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #45
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow! I really like the change in textures from darkish grey rock to small anubias in the crevises and moss, the tan/gold sand and the way the colors of the fish just pop out at you.
Saxtonhill is offline   Reply With Quote