DIY LED FAQ - Where to begin? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #32
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Now, that's the good stuff Thanks, jcgd! I'll poet them in the appropriate areas.
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #33
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

Yeah, I'll keep throwing them your way. Sorry I didn't sort them by type, I'm just too lazy and haven't gotten familiar with your layout.

The king of DIY drivers, controllers, etc., here is the O2Surplus collection:

Built another DIY led driver!
SNEAK PEAK- O2Surplus' 300 watt LED lighting retrofit
Just built a DIY LED Controller
DIY PCB's for DIY LED Systems

Aaron was a fantastic help to me personally and built the drivers/ controllers for Jose's build, as well as my own.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #34
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Thank you so much. I am seriously considering trying my first LED fixture and though it's pretty simple, there is almost too much info that can be overwhelming in planning. This is really easy to read and understand but lets you get into the "details" as well. Great thread.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #35
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice! That poor guy is probably going to get bombarded by pm's after this, haha...

Seriously - you're making me think you enjoy this stuff as much as I do, haha!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #36
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Thank you so much. I am seriously considering trying my first LED fixture and though it's pretty simple, there is almost too much info that can be overwhelming in planning. This is really easy to read and understand but lets you get into the "details" as well. Great thread.
Thanks, man! If you find anything we've missed so far, let me know, and I'll add it in! I just investigated the Philips Luxeon line today, so I'm adding things all the time!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 AM   #37
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Moderator, moderator, wherefore art thou moderator? This needs to go in the stickies in place of my old one. Please!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #38
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Nice! That poor guy is probably going to get bombarded by pm's after this, haha...

Seriously - you're making me think you enjoy this stuff as much as I do, haha!
Haha, yeah, sometimes I feel bad myself for asking so much of him. I think he enjoys it as well though, and sees building electronics as fun. He also helped out greatly with Mistergreen's Close enough par meter.

DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me
Par Meter Options
Convert Lux Meter to Par Meter

I do love this stuff too. Can't get enough if it myself. I'm really glad you started this thread, because it really is a lot of info and it's about time someone to put it together. The incredible thing is, when many of these threads were made, the authors used every scrap of info they could find, and now there's threads with multiple sources of info, that have multiple sources of info.

I think I might make or try to dig up a DIY fixture enclosure thread for ideas of fixtures to make yourself. I got very lucky with mine, and I was having trouble thinking what I should DIY before I found my aluminum housing.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #39
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, that was my biggest issue. There are a bunch of really great sites and threads that explore one or two aspects of a build really deeply, but barely touch on others. Few were as comprehensive as Hoppy's original sticky-build. The trouble there was that the tech is changing so quickly that a lot of it was obsolete, or just unavailable.

I thought since there are so many things to think about when you build an LED that it would be great to consolidate it all. I originally asked about creating a subforum (as you know, haha), and SOMEBODY suggested I make a thread about it. I already had a ton of notes from my own research, so it was really just a cut-and-paste job. I polished it up a bit, and here it is.

They say the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone. I suppose after a few months of this I might grow to be an expert after all!

I think that's a great idea, by the way. A lot of these builds are very practical and utilitarian, and yours is so polished, it would be great to share some ideas to finish some of the very nice fixtures out there - make them wife-friendly
Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #40
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Haha, wife friendly.

Found one more:
Sns26's Build with Cherry Wood Enclosure
Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #41
makutaku
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
I got very lucky with mine, and I was having trouble thinking what I should DIY before I found my aluminum housing.
We do need the information about your "aluminum housing" in this FAQ.

I am sure there's at least one person very curious to know.
makutaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #42
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any new info out there? I just updated the controller section, and I'm looking into adding a link to some info on the new Cree XP-G2.

Jcgd, if you'd like I can add a housing and finishes section to the heat sink post that could outline some options for finishing fixtures. We could just post pics here as well, I suppose. I'd like to invite anyone with a fixture to post photos here so we can start collecting ideas. Post your builds!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #43
makutaku
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
I'd like to invite anyone with a fixture to post photos here so we can start collecting ideas. Post your builds!
I haven't started my build yet but if I started today I would probably use 80/20 erector set to not only hold the heatsinks together but also provide a solid structure for suspension. 80/20 also have black anodized profiles that look nice.
makutaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #44
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post
I haven't started my build yet but if I started today I would probably use 80/20 erector set to not only hold the heatsinks together but also provide a solid structure for suspension. 80/20 also have black anodized profiles that look nice.
Oh, I didn't know it came in anodized black as well. That was something I was looking for in my heat sink - anodized in color. Black is likely what I would have gone with, but other options would be nice too. One of the builds in the build list used the 80/20 as the heat sink/structure and it made a very attractive fixture. I'll have to browse again to remember which one, though.

Which reminds me of another factoid I recall from my research...

EDIT: it was Fizzout's build that used the 80/20, for those who want to check it out.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #45
Invisigoth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Jcgd, if you'd like I can add a housing and finishes section to the heat sink post that could outline some options for finishing fixtures. We could just post pics here as well, I suppose. I'd like to invite anyone with a fixture to post photos here so we can start collecting ideas. Post your builds!
here's the build i just finished (larger images available):

Invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote