Stocking 10 Gallon planted tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictruong View Post
If i want to keep some shrimp in my 10 gallon, how will it affect my stocking?
It'll mean you can keep less fish. Shrimp are sensitive to nitrates.

Shrimp also don't like Excel and they aren't huge fans of ferts/CO2. It can be done, but low-tech is better for shrimp.
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
erictruong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

@ Kuni - Thanks for the info!

I think I will go with a school of 6 Harlequin Rasbora or similar species and 2 Otos. if i keep 6 Rasboras is having another 2 otos overstocking the tank?
erictruong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
LB79
Wannabe Guru

No. Just the them minimally and do lots of water changes. Harlequins have a very low bioload. Likewise with the otos. You could easily have 4 of them and 6 of the rasboras.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
nathanAcs
Algae Grower

what about a dwarf gourami? they are colorful
nathanAcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #20
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Dwarf gouramis are mean little brutes...

Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #21
erictruong
Algae Grower

@ LB79 - sounds great I guess I will go with those fish then haha

I have another question about my tank but probably shouldn't be posted here but anyways:

I just set up the tank with the plants but I have to go on vacation for 3 weeks. What Can I do to keep my plants healthy and alive for when I come back? Right now i do not have the CO2 set-up because I will start using when I am back from my vacation. I only have the filter running and my light fixture 2x18W t5. How many hours should I run the light for? And what other options do I have?

Last edited by erictruong; 07-06-2012 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add more information
Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #22
LB79
Wannabe Guru

I'd say put the light on a timer for 8 hours a day. If you can, get some root tabs and shove those in there. It should be fine.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
Gsneufeld
Algae Grower

Stock small shrimp species like cherry, yellows etc about 10 shrimp per 1 fish bioload wise. Bigger shrimp like Amano have a bigger bioload obviously.

One fish I didn't see, the White Cloud minnow. Not a conventional choice, but one of my favorite fish - they have amazing personalities for such small fish. The males spend all their time displaying and chasing with each other,
("nipping" each other, but never doing damage, looks more like they're dancing than fighting)

Like someone said, dwarf gouramis are bad news. Don't get Colisa lalia. Honey gourami aka Trichogaster chuna are a much better choice. Or even better, a fancy Betta, before I upgraded mine to my 20G I had him in a 10, and he loved it just as much as he loves the 20 now. Who ever says Bettas are afraid of bigger tanks has never kept one in a planted tank. Beautiful.

33G Cleithracara maronii [x1] Pterophyllum scalare Peruvian Red Spotted [x5] Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis [x8] Hemigrammus rodwayi [x8] Ancistrus cf cirrhosus [x1]
20G Betta splendens [x1] Tanichthys albonubes White Cloud [x7] 'Gold Cloud' [x3] Caridina multidentata [x2] Clea helena [x7] Planorbarius corneus [x101]
20G Corydoras pygmaeus [x20] Corydoras paleatus [x5] Corydoras panda [x3]
10G Neocaridinia denticula sinesis Red Cherry[x25] Caridina cantonensis Blue Tiger[x3]
Gsneufeld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #24
erictruong
Algae Grower

@lb79- so if I am not using co2 until I come back should I dose with excel or flourish comphrehensive?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
erictruong
Algae Grower

@ Gsneufeld- my friend has a shrimp tank and they reproduce relatively fast. If this Happens I won't have another tank to move them in lol
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #26
LB79
Wannabe Guru

If you're not going to have CO2 on the tank until you com back, dose Excel and Flourish Comp. as Excel is carbon and Flourish Comp. is nutrients. The plants should be fine for three weeks. The tank may need a little nursing when you get back, as many things can happen when you're away.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #27
erictruong
Algae Grower

How often should I dose the two?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

If you have fish in your tank with the shrimp I wouldn't worry about the shrimp overpopulating. The fish will eat the babies and keep the population in check. Also if you keep a betta with your shrimp be prepared to only see your shrimp at night when it's dark.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
In2wishin
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have become a fan of the naked rummynose rasbora (sawbwa resplendens). They are really unusual colors and have a soft blue body and bright orange nose and tips of the tail fins. Everyone who comes over comments on them and how cool they are. Mine are fully grown and are about 1-1/4" long. They tend to schoal more than school.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
erictruong
Algae Grower

I found out my tank got some baby snails LOL probably were hiding inside the plants I bought. I also see little microscopic things moving around on the back of my aquarium. I can see them clearly because I have a black aquarium background. Could these be smaller
Snails that will grow?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.